Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by Harbal » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote: people in the west suffer from more deaths by vacuum cleaners and other household items than terrorists.
Yes but only because terrorists don't tend to spend as much time doing housework.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: people in the west suffer from more deaths by vacuum cleaners and other household items than terrorists.
Yes but only because terrorists don't tend to spend as much time doing housework.
I heard someone was killed by their La-Z-Boy chair. Just used some neurons trying to work out how a vacuum cleaner murdered someone. :?

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by Harbal » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I heard someone was killed by their La-Z-Boy chair.
I don't suppose anyone captured it and put it on Youtube, did they? I'd rather like to see that.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4390
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by Greta » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:18 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Greta wrote:I recently read an article about how China and India avoided the same degree of terrorist troubles as the west.
Did it mention that one of those states has the world's largest secret police force which throws people into prison for being troublemakers rather than waiting for them to do criminal things, while the other suffers regular terror attacks including this one that killed 164 people?
I suspect that only the dead and invertebrates are unaware that China is an authoritarian country, so it didn't need to be pointed out. As for India, 164 people out of 1.25 billions is nothing - India faces problems that make terrorism look like a minor niggle. Consider that India loses over 3,000 people every day to premature death through air pollution. China loses a similar number for the same reason.

The point is that their terrorism focus is internal. Imagine how safe citizens would be if even a fraction of the billions used by the "coalition of the willing" to make their countries less safe via illegal invasions overseas was used to deal with the issues of home grown terrorism.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by FlashDangerpants » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 am

That doesn't further your point. For one thing it is clearly untrue, India's terrorism focus is definitely on Pakistan, not internal. They routinely have border clashes with the Pakistanis at Kashmir which is, in all honesty, an occupied territory. They also have a couple of long running Maoist insurgencies that cost quite a few lives.

I don't see how the statistical irrelevance of a mere couple of hundred deaths when weighed against India's giant population is substantially any different from the statistical irrelevance of a couple of hundred deaths per year in western Europe, which is home to many hundreds of millions. Or the few deaths per year in the USA where thousands die in non terrorist shootings per annum. I suggest that only the dead and invertebrates are unaware that terrorism as a cause of death is less than a fraction of a rounding error in every nation including Syria.

It's not my fault that you citied China as not having the same terrorist problems as we do (if we really have genuinely important problems rather than exaggerated fears) by promoting a reason that suits your rhetorical desires ahead of a far more important one that does not. Your comparison was invalid because it ignores facts that aren't useful to you but are primary causes for an effect you attribute elsewhere.

bergie15
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Terrorism poses no 'existential' threat?

Post by bergie15 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 pm

I think that terrorism would be an existential threat. As someone else said, war is like a protest movement- countries enter a war sometimes to protest things that have threatened their way of life.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: seeds and 4 guests