Philosophies...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

Philosophies are Religions without an Absolute.

Philosophy is malleable and always unsure. Philosophy is an attempt at diversity thru intellect. Philosophy is the unguarded twin of Religion, without a Temple, without the faithful... a vagabond on the landscape seeking that which lies beyond religious beliefs thru the mind's logic.


That's my philosophy.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Philosophies...

Post by thedoc »

mtmynd1 wrote:Philosophies are Religions without an Absolute.

Philosophy is malleable and always unsure. Philosophy is an attempt at diversity thru intellect. Philosophy is the unguarded twin of Religion, without a Temple, without the faithful... a vagabond on the landscape seeking that which lies beyond religious beliefs thru the mind's logic.


That's my philosophy.
I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5468
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Philosophies...

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.





Philosophy - questions without answers


Religion - answers without question








.
User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

thedoc wrote:
I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
I, too, would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest Religion does not own "God" nor does Philosophy own thought. Great thinkers are not necessarily philosophers nor are those who believe in (a) God(s) religious.

Thank you for your reply, Doc.
User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Philosophy - questions without answers

Religion - answers without questions

I would agree with this, Bill, if I didn't believe we hu'mans have far more questions that we have answers.
IdeasInblu
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 am
Contact:

Re: Philosophies...

Post by IdeasInblu »

Questions are how we learn more especially about ourselves, is it not?
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Philosophies...

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
Typical doc: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

IdeasInblu wrote:Questions are how we learn more especially about ourselves, is it not?
Questions arise from the mind... the same place where the answers lie.

The reason we "ask" is to know, the reason to "know" is to understand; the reason to "understand" is to find the next question (quest-ion). Each time we hope to become closer to knowing ourselves... our greatest "quest".
Last edited by mtmynd1 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

Harbal wrote: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
"Silly" is your comment for it arises from your lack of understanding that which you are bedeviled to comprehend. Call it "silly" so it will go away, but it doesn't because the subject has become a small part of you.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Philosophies...

Post by Harbal »

mtmynd1 wrote:"Silly" is your comment for it arises from your lack of understanding that which you are bedeviled to comprehend. Call it "silly" so it will go away, but it doesn't because the subject has become a small part of you.
Sorry, mtmynd, I mistook it for nonsense, I didn't realise it was meant to mean something, my mistake.
ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Philosophies...

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote:I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
Typical doc: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
Harbal, do you ever contribute in any substantial way to a post?

You never make a challenge with any kind of substantial argument. You just make the odd witty comment, or more usually, a snide comment. You're the man who sits by the side of the road, spitting at people as they pass, going about their daily business. These people are actually on their way somewhere, to do something valid, however crap it may be. You simply spit at them and then when they catch your eye, you smile at them, so that they won't slap you up the side of the head. You never actually have the balls to really contribute, like they are doing, however crap it may seem to you.

I suspect you're better than this. I just haven't seen it yet.
ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Philosophies...

Post by ForCruxSake »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Philosophy - questions without answers


Religion - answers without question
Thank you for this. It's quotable. :)
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Philosophies...

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Philosophy - questions without answers


Religion - answers without question
Thank you for this. It's quotable. :)
Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
User avatar
mtmynd1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

Harbal wrote: Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
Curious if your handle, "Harbal" is a misspelling of "Horrible". Your replies sure are.
ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Philosophies...

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Philosophy - questions without answers


Religion - answers without question
Thank you for this. It's quotable. :)
Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
*wipes Harbal's phlegm from a sleeve and walks on*
Post Reply