Why things evolve (part II)?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Why things evolve (part II)?

Post by bahman »

So the discussion here is related to the thread I opened a while ago. I understood and was convinced partially that how a useful trait has higher chance to spread and explode in next generations. But I am still having problem with what I call useful hidden trait. By this I mean the trait that only can be discovered through certain practice such as meditation. So the question that I am raising is related to what I raised before, whether there is an objective perfection that we are all striving for. If not then why we have such a capacity like meditation?
ken

Re: Why things evolve (part II)?

Post by ken »

bahman wrote:So the discussion here is related to the thread I opened a while ago. I understood and was convinced partially that how a useful trait has higher chance to spread and explode in next generations. But I am still having problem with what I call useful hidden trait. By this I mean the trait that only can be discovered through certain practice such as meditation. So the question that I am raising is related to what I raised before, whether there is an objective perfection that we are all striving for. If not then why we have such a capacity like meditation?
There certainly is an objective perfection, but it is never found by looking for it. Actually the "striving" for objection perfection drives one further away from it than bringing one closer to it. Objective perfection is very easily found by being truly open and honest about one's wrong behaviors and seriously wanting to change them self, for the better.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

bahman wrote:So the discussion here is related to the thread I opened a while ago. I understood and was convinced partially that how a useful trait has higher chance to spread and explode in next generations. But I am still having problem with what I call useful hidden trait. By this I mean the trait that only can be discovered through certain practice such as meditation. So the question that I am raising is related to what I raised before, whether there is an objective perfection that we are all striving for. If not then why we have such a capacity like meditation?
If, as you say, we have hidden traits, it is not as if evolution has designed these traits to be hidden and be discovered only by a few deserving people. It really does not work that way. Evolution is essentially an unconscious process not directed towards any particular goal.

The capacity for meditation is just a part of the complex brain we have. Asking why we have it is pointless because it has been developed through an unconscious process. How best can we utilize this capacity is probably a more useful question.
bahman

Post by bahman »

sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote: So the discussion here is related to the thread I opened a while ago. I understood and was convinced partially that how a useful trait has higher chance to spread and explode in next generations. But I am still having problem with what I call useful hidden trait. By this I mean the trait that only can be discovered through certain practice such as meditation. So the question that I am raising is related to what I raised before, whether there is an objective perfection that we are all striving for. If not then why we have such a capacity like meditation?
If, as you say, we have hidden traits, it is not as if evolution has designed these traits to be hidden and be discovered only by a few deserving people. It really does not work that way. Evolution is essentially an unconscious process not directed towards any particular goal.

The capacity for meditation is just a part of the complex brain we have. Asking why we have it is pointless because it has been developed through an unconscious process. How best can we utilize this capacity is probably a more useful question.
I think it is very important to ask such a question. Unconscious process is a misleading concept. Process exists because there is something to follow. It is simple, a dead thing doesn't have capacity to contribute in any process.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

bahman wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote: So the discussion here is related to the thread I opened a while ago. I understood and was convinced partially that how a useful trait has higher chance to spread and explode in next generations. But I am still having problem with what I call useful hidden trait. By this I mean the trait that only can be discovered through certain practice such as meditation. So the question that I am raising is related to what I raised before, whether there is an objective perfection that we are all striving for. If not then why we have such a capacity like meditation?

I think it is very important to ask such a question. Unconscious process is a misleading concept. Process exists because there is something to follow. It is simple, a dead thing doesn't have capacity to contribute in any process.
That does not change the fact that evolution is an unconscious process and did not deliberately create the ability to meditate. The fact you have it is just the reality. How to use it is a rational question. Why you have it is not.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

I would say why and how are both rational questions.

Why meditation exists was probably something to assist with rest and recuperation or something. Or a left over autoconstruct of vital functions.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I would say why and how are both rational questions.

Why meditation exists was probably something to assist with rest and recuperation or something. Or a left over autoconstruct of vital functions.
I was referring to the aspect of the question which implied deliberation on part of evolution. That is all.

Bahman, here is something which might be interesting. https://www.ted.com/talks/lee_cronin_ma ... anguage=en