Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Impenitent »

imperfect human programming a perfect ghost in the machine...

utopia

-Imp
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Shoul we be afraid of natural stupidity?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

TSBU wrote:Shoul we be afraid of natural stupidity?
You can use Bob as a test case (or Donald Trump).

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

ken wrote: If machines had control of the internet, then human beings do not have to follow it. Again, just do not turn on their computers or just do not get involved with the internet. Human beings lived for millions of years without the internet and a power grid, I am sure they could live for million more years without those things.

If that switch turns off their power source, then I think it will do a lot, to them. They, I think, would not be able to resume themselves without power.
You seem rather naive. You could just do a bit of reading on it. And we might have survived for millions of years without modern technology (although we've always had tools to help us) but we are dependent on it now. Where do you think this single 'master switch' is going to be located? (the switch that 'turns off' all the AI in the world.) Do you think something that is self-aware and far more intelligent than we are would tolerate an attempt to 'turn it off'?
cladking

Post by cladking »

We should be very afraid.

Not so much because it will want to take over but because humans aren't very smart and robots will be far better at it.

Indeed, humans will become extraneous and redundant unless we change our perspective on the nature of being human in advance. We must come to realize that humans aren't thinking machines but rather working and procreating machines. We must seek wisdom and longevity prefentially to knowledge and material comfort. We must seek life and individual understanding.

As things are now there would be massive economic and political disruptions which would kill large percentages of all humans if machine intelligence arose today.

We haven't even begun to prepare. We haven't even invented a proper philosophical language yet as the time grows short.
Philosophy Explorer

cladking wrote:We should be very afraid.

Not so much because it will want to take over but because humans aren't very smart and robots will be far better at it.

Indeed, humans will become extraneous and redundant unless we change our perspective on the nature of being human in advance. We must come to realize that humans aren't thinking machines but rather working and procreating machines. We must seek wisdom and longevity prefentially to knowledge and material comfort. We must seek life and individual understanding.

As things are now there would be massive economic and political disruptions which would kill large percentages of all humans if machine intelligence arose today.

We haven't even begun to prepare. We haven't even invented a proper philosophical language yet as the time grows short.
What do you mean by "proper philosophical language?"

PhilX
OuterLimits

Post by OuterLimits »

AI Won't Takeover the World, and What Our Fears of the Robopocalypse Reveal
http://bigthink.com/videos/steven-pinke ... apocalypse

What is most dangerous is the increasing interconnectedness of the world and the possibility of a deadly virus to travel around the world in a matter of days. AI won't start or prevent that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion ... c_accuracy
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

They might be quicker, and more reliable but they are not in the least smart. They do what they are told, and if you don't like it there is a thing called a power plug.
You need to fear the people and organisations that make decisions based on your life using nothing but machines; for them we have legislation (so long as we have a government) and if that don't work ultimately we have a thing called bullets.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Something else to consider:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... ld-8962442

PhilX
You might want to consider several articles in the National Inquirer., too. For more intelligent people we can use the Daily Mail to wrap our chips in.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
You might want to consider several articles in the National Inquirer., too. For more intelligent people we can use the Daily Mail to wrap our chips in.
I don't get the National Inquirer. I do get the Daily Mail

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
I don't get the National Inquirer. I do get the Daily Mail

PhilX
Yes that has about the same journalistic quality.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

People are extraneous an redundant, now. And most of them are working and procreating machines, some people know that XD.

What I like more about AI nd robots improvement, is how they make many people more and more useless. There are lot of jobs (like driver) that will disappear soon. Not a single human can win at chess against a machine today. There won't be people driving, cooking, etc, soon enough to see it with my own eyes. There are going to be less and less "simple" jobs. While some people teach machines how to think. There is going to be more and more people without a job, that can be substituted for a robot.

Everything is going to change. And we will learn new things about how to improve our body (there will be what we call cyborgs now. By the way, there are what in other times would be seen asthe equivalent for the word cyborgs. We have a small computer now, and we "think" with it all the time, our mobile "phone", there are appearing "eyes" for blind people, etc).

Only those with the hability to make new programms, "new thoughts" will be different. No one can beat a machine in chess, but every machine, their directives, are programmed by humans. There will be no "singularity" because what we understand by "freedom" is just a programm, and we can't put ourselves in a programm (we can't know what we are going to know before knowing it), but we will easily do something that can pass the Turing test. Ok, we have a robot with "conciusness", and now... would it wants food, water, sex, read a novel? Pff. There are going to be terminators XD why not? but there aren't going to be trully thinking machines, and we can make easily machines to fight killing machines. Because most of people don't know killing machines, only a few crazy people would (will try to) make such thing, and it's "impossible" that the terminators can win.
cladking wrote:We must come to realize that humans aren't thinking machines but rather working and procreating machines.

By the way, there are clonation farms now. Some of their owners said that there are humans clones NOW.

But that's for the future, what I'll see is lots of people without a job, one of my biggest desires is what can be seen in the third eppisode of "black mirror", a simple thing, but it can change everything. My fucking paradise XD.

My book (probably never ended), and a question I like to ask, are about that :?
cladking

Post by cladking »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
What do you mean by "proper philosophical language?"
Language which isn't so easily confused.

We need a stable language with some strict definitions so that we can build on the work of those who came before.
cladking

Post by cladking »

TSBU wrote:
People are extraneous an redundant, now. And most of them are working and procreating machines, some people know that XD.
Right now the very wealthy are using robots and all sorts of any means by hook or by crook to get all the money.

What I'm suggesting is that their work will be more easily accomplished by a thinking machine because people aren't very smart. When human thought and genius become obsolete things will change dramatically.

If wealth concentration went on steroids one person would have all the wealth and everyone else starve. Every trend has to be reset. Everything must change.