Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

socratus

Post by socratus »

==.
Very soon your will speak with a man who smokes cigarette,
drinks coffee, emits beam of benevolent energy over you
and when you go out in joy - you wouldn’t know that you spoke
with robot system R- 3141592.
If later you know the truth . . . then, maybe, you would ask yourself:
“What is difference between me and this robot?”

If I were you I would be afraid.
================…
Attachments
Robot man.jpg
Robot man.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Ginkgo

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Ginkgo »

socratus wrote:Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?
==.
Very soon your will speak with a man who smokes cigarette,
drinks coffee, emits beam of benevolent energy over you
and when you go out in joy - you wouldn’t know that you spoke
with robot system R- 3141592.
If later you know the truth . . . then, maybe, you would ask yourself:
“What is difference between me and this robot?”

If I were you I would be afraid.
================…
The difference between a human and a sophisticated robot is that you can experience coffee and cigarettes. Robots cannot experience anything. I don't think machines will ever be conscious. Strong AI proponents would disagree with me, they claim that in the future machines will be conscious.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

They couldn't be any more scary and dangerous than real humans.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think the biggest worry would come from mankind, not AI. It's possible to arrange for kill switches or, even better, some mechanism that would deactivate the robots should they get dangerous. I'm not sure if these measures would be tamperproof from those who would like to cause harm to people.

PhilX
ken

Post by ken »

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence. We can just 'pull the plug' and disconnect their power supply. That is until some stupid human being/s makes a law, which prohibits the interference of the power supply to artificial intelligence.
vegetariantaxidermy

ken wrote:There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence. We can just 'pull the plug' and disconnect their power supply. That is until some stupid human being/s makes a law, which prohibits the interference of the power supply to artificial intelligence.
Cutting the power to a computer doesn't alter what's on there. If they were super-intelligent they would work out a way to over-ride that anyway.
ken

Post by ken »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ken wrote:There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence. We can just 'pull the plug' and disconnect their power supply. That is until some stupid human being/s makes a law, which prohibits the interference of the power supply to artificial intelligence.
Cutting the power to a computer doesn't alter what's on there. If they were super-intelligent they would work out a way to over-ride that anyway.
How could any computer with any amount of intelligence be able to operate without any power whatsoever?

How could a dead computer, no matter what is on there, bring itself back alive?

What are the chances of a human being being able to bring itself back to life after it is dead? How could a computer have more ability to do this than a human being? Super-intelligent human beings are needed first before a super-intelligent computer is invented and created, and I think it will be found that no computer with all energy sources removed from it has the same amount of ability to bring itself back to life as a super-intelligent human being has.
ken

Post by ken »

Just read your response again. Are you saying that a super-intelligent working computer would work out a way to over-ride human being's ability to disconnect its power source?
vegetariantaxidermy

ken wrote:
How could any computer with any amount of intelligence be able to operate without any power whatsoever?

What are the chances of a human being being able to bring itself back to life after it is dead? How could a computer have more ability to do this than a human being? Super-intelligent human beings are needed first before a super-intelligent computer is invented and created, and I think it will be found that no computer with all energy sources removed from it has the same amount of ability to bring itself back to life as a super-intelligent human being has.
What if they have control of the power grid? The internet? Everything? I don't think 'turning off a switch' is going to do a heck of a lot.
Philosophy Explorer

ken wrote:

Have you heard of non-volatile memory?

PhilX
ken

Post by ken »

ken wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Cutting the power to a computer doesn't alter what's on there. If they were super-intelligent they would work out a way to over-ride that anyway.

What if they have control of the power grid?
If human beings allowed a machine to take ALL control of the power grid, then I would suggest that that has more to do with human beings stupidity and not with artificial intelligence, but anyway, whilst human beings have to go to work at creating the power grid, if human beings kept creating the power grid that artificial intelligence had taken control of, then if the demise of human beings was also taken place, then they have no one else to blame but themselves. Human beings deserve to be killed off if they are that stupid.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The internet?
If machines had control of the internet, then human beings do not have to follow it. Again, just do not turn on their computers or just do not get involved with the internet. Human beings lived for millions of years without the internet and a power grid, I am sure they could live for million more years without those things.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Everything?
The Universe is a fairly big thing for artificial intelligence to have control of.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I don't think 'turning off a switch' is going to do a heck of a lot.
If that switch turns off their power source, then I think it will do a lot, to them. They, I think, would not be able to resume themselves without power.
ken

Post by ken »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
ken wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Cutting the power to a computer doesn't alter what's on there. If they were super-intelligent they would work out a way to over-ride that anyway.

PhilX
No I had not, but I just a very quick read of it. But what has that got to do with what I am talking about. A computer without any power source is about as powerful as anything else without any energy source. It has absolutely no power at all, therefore there is nothing to be afraid of.
Philosophy Explorer

ken wrote:
ken wrote:

PhilX
No I had not, but I just a very quick read of it. But what has that got to do with what I am talking about. A computer without any power source is about as powerful as anything else without any energy source. It has absolutely no power at all, therefore there is nothing to be afraid of.
Without memory it has no power.

PhilX
ken

Post by ken »

ken wrote:

PhilX

PhilX
Ah okay. So you are also saying that there is nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence?
Philosophy Explorer

ken wrote:
ken wrote:

PhilX
Ah okay. So you are also saying that there is nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence?
Just mankind if the computer/robot isn't 100% tamperproof.

PhilX