Time does not exist.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Time does not exist.

Post by bahman »

We experience forms and motions. Time is a concept that we use to have an idea about two motions, one is our standard clock and another is subject of our experience.
Harbal

Re: Time does not exist.

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote:We experience forms and motions. Time is a concept that we use to have an idea about two motions, one is our standard clock and another is subject of our experience.
You should try sitting in my doctor's waiting room. I can assure you that time most definitely exists in there.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

time may be a swiss conspiracy but farmers will tell you differently...

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote:We experience forms and motions. Time is a concept that we use to have an idea about two motions, one is our standard clock and another is subject of our experience.
You should try sitting in my doctor's waiting room. I can assure you that time most definitely exists in there.
You have no sense to help you to experience passage of time. You are comparing your psychological motion to something else, like your thoughts, when your are waiting in your doctor's room. Just try to don't lead that your mind scattered with anything to find out that there is no passage of time. I can do that easily and I am sure you can do that either.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: time may be a swiss conspiracy but farmers will tell you differently...

-Imp
What do you mean?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Stuff happens. The Earth goes found the Sun. It rotates as it does so. Pendulums swing. Atoms vibrate. It is by counting these things that we get a sense of time, but all we are doing is counting events. There is no evidence that there is a discrete substance called time in which these things happen.
bahman

Post by bahman »

uwot wrote: Stuff happens. The Earth goes found the Sun. It rotates as it does so. Pendulums swing. Atoms vibrate. It is by counting these things that we get a sense of time, but all we are doing is counting events. There is no evidence that there is a discrete substance called time in which these things happen.
What I am arguing is that time does not exist which is stronger than your claim.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: What I am arguing is that time does not exist
How do you propose we function without behaving as if it does exist?
uwot

Post by uwot »

bahman wrote:What I am arguing is that time does not exist which is stronger than your claim.
Go for it. What I'm saying is that change at least appears to happen and it is by this perception of change that we identify time. There is no need to postulate a metaphysical entity called time, although as Kant pointed out, it's a useful concept.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: What I am arguing is that time does not exist
How do you propose we function without behaving as if it does exist?
I don't understand your question and how it could be related to OP.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

We had a friend here who suggested that space does not exist. Only time does. When you look at distant stars, what you are actually measuring is time and not distance. For instance when you observe a star 5000 light years away, you are not seeing it in the present form. You are watching something that happened 5000 years ago. That star could already have exploded for all you know. So according to him, there is no space. Only time exists. The distance between two objects is actually the time difference between them however infinitesimal the difference might be.

Even if two people are standing a few feet apart, if one observes the other, there is a time lag. So whatever you observe is always the past, never the present.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: I don't understand your question and how it could be related to OP.
How do you get through a normal day without behaving as if time does exist? If somebody wanted you to meet them in 1 hour how would you handle the situation?
bahman

Post by bahman »

sthitapragya wrote: We had a friend here who suggested that space does not exist. Only time does. When you look at distant stars, what you are actually measuring is time and not distance. For instance when you observe a star 5000 light years away, you are not seeing it in the present form. You are watching something that happened 5000 years ago. That star could already have exploded for all you know. So according to him, there is no space. Only time exists. The distance between two objects is actually the time difference between them however infinitesimal the difference might be.

Even if two people are standing a few feet apart, if one observes the other, there is a time lag. So whatever you observe is always the past, never the present.
I think that space does exist. We can perceive/measure it directly. That not the case by time. We cannot perceive it. We use motion in an apparatus, our standard clock, to measure the motion of another thing, subject of our study.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: How do you get through a normal day without behaving as if time does exist?
I use the motion of something whether it is my clock or my psychological motion to move on.
Harbal wrote: If somebody wanted you to meet them in 1 hour how would you handle the situation?
I use a standard clock which move uniformly. 1 hour is equal to an amount of motion in my clock.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: 1 hour is equal to an amount of motion in my clock.
And what do you call the thing in between any two points of motion?