Time does not exist.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Time does not exist.

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: And what do you call the thing in between any two points of motion?
I can call that time. The problem is that there is nothing like flow of time. The flow of time is nothing more than the relative motion of our standard clock compared to our psychological motions.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: I can call that time.
If you can call it time then why don't you? That way, every one would know what you mean.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: I can call that time.
If you can call it time then why don't you? That way, every one would know what you mean.
The problem is that the most people do not reach to conclusion we reached, time does not exist.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote:
The problem is that the most people do not reach to conclusion we reached, time does not exist.
Why is it a problem? Most people seem to manage quite well by pretending it does exist.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: Why is it a problem? Most people seem to manage quite well by pretending it does exist.
So most people are wrong. That is the use of argument/debate to overcome ignorance.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: So most people are wrong. That is the use of argument/debate to overcome ignorance.
In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: So most people are wrong. That is the use of argument/debate to overcome ignorance.
In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time?
In the same way you benefit from debates on any subject.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote:
In the same way you benefit from debates on any subject.
That's not much of an answer. Can you not give an answer specific to my question?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: In the same way you benefit from debates on any subject.
That's not much of an answer. Can you not give an answer specific to my question?
It is a good answer. We are curious beings and we enjoy any fruitful debate.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote:
It is a good answer. We are curious beings and we enjoy any fruitful debate.
I think there is quite a way to go before this debate yields any fruit ripe enough to eat. Can you really not give me a specific answer the the question, In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

bahman wrote:
Impenitent wrote: time may be a swiss conspiracy but farmers will tell you differently...

-Imp
What do you mean?
farmers "know" when to plant, when to harvest...

besides, the language itself, complete with verb tenses, denotes time

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: It is a good answer. We are curious beings and we enjoy any fruitful debate.
I think there is quite a way to go before this debate yields any fruit ripe enough to eat. Can you really not give me a specific answer the the question, In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time?
Like many other philosophical discussion. What is the benefit? You just know more.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: farmers "know" when to plant, when to harvest...
That really doesn't mean that time exist. We just know that we should do something in a specific condition, when our standard clock tell us.
Impenitent wrote: besides, the language itself, complete with verb tenses, denotes time

-Imp
That only mean that there is order in motions so we have older (means before) motion compared to newer motion, etc. What we call now is nothing more that newest point.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote:
Like many other philosophical discussion. What is the benefit? You just know more.
So the eight hours I spend at work tomorrow, now I know there is no such thing as time, will feel pretty much like the eight hours I spent there yesterday, when I believed in time? I can't help but question if it was worth the effort.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

bahman wrote:
Impenitent wrote: farmers "know" when to plant, when to harvest...
That really doesn't mean that time exist. We just know that we should do something in a specific condition, when our standard clock tell us.
Impenitent wrote: besides, the language itself, complete with verb tenses, denotes time

-Imp
That only mean that there is order in motions so we have older (means before) motion compared to newer motion, etc. What we call now is nothing more that newest point.
standard clock? to tell about something that doesn't exist... regularly I believe...

newer? more recently in time? but time doesn't exist...

-Imp