Overcoming boredom

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Overcoming boredom

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Do you think the longer a person lives, the more likely that person can get bored at some point? Would the only solution then be to erase some memories to make life more interesting?

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Re: Overcoming boredom

Post by marjoram_blues »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Do you think the longer a person lives, the more likely that person can get bored at some point? Would the only solution then be to erase some memories to make life more interesting?

PhilX
No. And. No.

What do you think? And why ?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Do you think the longer a person lives, the more likely that person can get bored at some point? Would the only solution then be to erase some memories to make life more interesting?

PhilX
No. And. No.

What do you think? And why ?
I think just the opposite. For example, a person may like a particular TV show or series. But you know how often they get repeated and repetition gets associated with boredom. But if that show is erased from memory, then for that person, the next time he sees it is in effect just like the first time. Another way of countering boredom is to take interest in different things and there must be millions of different things to be interested in. So these are some of my thoughts.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

I do find that, as I grow older, the same ideas and opinions and preoccupations keep coming around. I go around to different forums every few months, but haven't found anything new for a couple of years now (except for science articles, obituaries and ever-crazier politics). I also feel, though I haven't collected the hard data to prove it, that posters' attention=spans are shrinking. Mind you, that's a North American phenomenon that's been going on since the debut of Sesame Street and is probably exacerbated by texting and tweeting. Lately, I can't even induce people to talk about themselves - that's a new and rather alarming development.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

PhilX
I used to joke with my father that when we both got dementia, we'd enjoy the same really good movie every day.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:

PhilX
I used to joke with my father that when we both got dementia, we'd enjoy the same really good movie every day.
Some people can watch the same movie over and over again without having dementia. My daughter and grandchildren would watch the same movie almost every day (different movies for each). On the other hand my mother had severe dementia for the last few years of her life and she wouldn't have remembered the beginning of the movie, even by the middle of the same movie.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:

PhilX
Some people can watch the same movie over and over again without having dementia. My daughter and grandchildren would watch the same movie almost every day (different movies for each). On the other hand my mother had severe dementia for the last few years of her life and she wouldn't have remembered the beginning of the movie, even by the middle of the same movie.
I went to see Rocky Horror dozens of times, and always had a blast, thanks in part to the weed. :lol:
Skip

Post by Skip »

That's not about the movie; that's about the audience. Now that nobody carries a Bic anymore, I suppose something's lost.

We have some perennials. Sometime near Xmus, I like to put on Nightmare Before Christmas; sometime in spring, we revisit Brian and when we're very deep blue, we dredge up something really old, with Audrey Hepburn or Sophia Loren. The tapes are getting pretty frayed - luckily, there is Netflix and You tube.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:That's not about the movie; that's about the audience. Now that nobody carries a Bic anymore, I suppose something's lost.

We have some perennials. Sometime near Xmus, I like to put on Nightmare Before Christmas; sometime in spring, we revisit Brian and when we're very deep blue, we dredge up something really old, with Audrey Hepburn or Sophia Loren. The tapes are getting pretty frayed - luckily, there is Netflix and You tube.
Shut up. I have a bic in my pocket as of this writing, and I'm going to use it in pursuit of political incorrectness whilst smoking the "new heroin" aka tobacco. 8)

By the way, that is one of my ways of overcoming boredom. Stimulating the hell out of my brain with caffeine and nicotine.
Skip

Post by Skip »

AAAAKK
I nearly drowned in a wave of nostalgia just then.
I once mentioned (here, I think) that if I were told I had only six months to live, I would take up smoking again. Of course, a helpful fellow poster immediately volunteered that prognosis. But I didn't believe them, so I've stayed clean and (comparatively) sober nearly eight years now.
Still can't write worth a damn.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:AAAAKK
I nearly drowned in a wave of nostalgia just then.
I once mentioned (here, I think) that if I were told I had only six months to live, I would take up smoking again. Of course, a helpful fellow poster immediately volunteered that prognosis. But I didn't believe them, so I've stayed clean and (comparatively) sober nearly eight years now.
Still can't write worth a damn.
Oh, and guess what my bic has on it, Skip? A Montreal Expos logo! That should really get your nostalgia flowing! :mrgreen:
Skip

Post by Skip »

Nah. Just the fa--- Er..m. Just fan some smoke over this way.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Skip wrote:That's not about the movie; that's about the audience. Now that nobody carries a Bic anymore, I suppose something's lost.
Shut up. I have a bic in my pocket as of this writing.
I've got a BIC on my desk and I've been using it. Someone I worked with told me about the Rocky Horror Picture Show and how people would come to see it with a grocery bag full of props. The theater would show the movie last in the day so they could hose the auditorium out after the showing. It seemed to be quite an event for some.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Shut up. I have a bic in my pocket as of this writing.
I've got a BIC on my desk and I've been using it. Someone I worked with told me about the Rocky Horror Picture Show and how people would come to see it with a grocery bag full of props. The theater would show the movie last in the day so they could hose the auditorium out after the showing. It seemed to be quite an event for some.
It was a real party doc! 8)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:Nah. Just the fa--- Er..m. Just fan some smoke over this way.
Specify your direction from Toronto, Skip. :lol: