Overcoming boredom

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Overcoming boredom

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote:Boredom is a trigger for creativity. "What will I do now?" is the question of one whose every move for the day hasn't been prescribed by exigency. A person with nothing to do has the choice to create a future rather than fulfilling schedules.

We live in societies influenced by the eastern and/or Protestant work ethic, and just being a no good bum doing not much is frowned upon. But it can be glorious for a while.
Reminds me of a Diogenes story. Athens is under attack, and people are rushing around in preparation. Diogenes is asked why he is frantically rolling his barrel up and down the street, to which he replies that he's trying to look as busy as everyone else. :lol:
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Greta wrote:Boredom is a trigger for creativity. "What will I do now?" is the question of one whose every move for the day hasn't been prescribed by exigency. A person with nothing to do has the choice to create a future rather than fulfilling schedules.

We live in societies influenced by the eastern and/or Protestant work ethic, and just being a no good bum doing not much is frowned upon. But it can be glorious for a while.
Reminds me of a Diogenes story. Athens is under attack, and people are rushing around in preparation. Diogenes is asked why he is frantically rolling his barrel up and down the street, to which he replies that he's trying to look as busy as everyone else. :lol:
Too close for comfort :D

Since retiring I've felt a strong sense of throwing off old dead weight. I don't need to talk to people I don't much care for. They added excitement to my life, and they were probably so character building that I should ideally send them Christmas presents, but it wasn't pleasant excitement. I'm thrilled not to be forced to deal with people who are in pushy, panicky, aggressive, unkind and crazy states on a daily basis. As Mum might have said, "Ive taken my peck of dirt".

The worst part of being a slug, though, is it's unsustainable - a holiday. One of the ironies of life is that if you don't regularly inflict suffering on yourself (exercise, denying yourself foods and intoxicants you enjoy, pushing out of your comfort zone) then life will do it for you by turning you into a fearful, dependent, oversensitive little shit. You have to keep churning it out in one way or another because nature abhors a sedentary lifestyle. Mother Earth is a slavedriver. If you have an idle moment, you can be sure she'll find a chore for you - maybe tending to a bad back, stiff neck, sore joints, reflux, IBS, diabetes, piles, thrush and other fruits of the easy life.

I thought I could relax in retirement. As it turns out, only for a while (BTW I don't have all the ailments above).
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

It's always a good one to chuck back at the theists as well, Greta, when they start self-righteously proclaiming that they're going to be rewarded with immortality for believing in their invisible best friend.

Knock yourself out, kid, but from where I'm standing who the fuck would want it?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:

Too close for comfort :D

Since retiring I've felt a strong sense of throwing off old dead weight. I don't need to talk to people I don't much care for. They added excitement to my life, and they were probably so character building that I should ideally send them Christmas presents, but it wasn't pleasant excitement. I'm thrilled not to be forced to deal with people who are in pushy, panicky, aggressive, unkind and crazy states on a daily basis. As Mum might have said, "Ive taken my peck of dirt".

The worst part of being a slug, though, is it's unsustainable - a holiday. One of the ironies of life is that if you don't regularly inflict suffering on yourself (exercise, denying yourself foods and intoxicants you enjoy, pushing out of your comfort zone) then life will do it for you by turning you into a fearful, dependent, oversensitive little shit. You have to keep churning it out in one way or another because nature abhors a sedentary lifestyle. Mother Earth is a slavedriver. If you have an idle moment, you can be sure she'll find a chore for you - maybe tending to a bad back, stiff neck, sore joints, reflux, IBS, diabetes, piles, thrush and other fruits of the easy life.

I thought I could relax in retirement. As it turns out, only for a while (BTW I don't have all the ailments above).
I learned a lot from my beloved cats, Greta. Saving energy until I really need it, napping a lot, eating when I need to, and playing with yarn balls... Okay, not the last one, but other stuff I can learn from or learn to do, and have fun with. Now's the best time to learn about things you never had a chance to learn or do before, or never had the time for. This is your time now, having lived for others through your work, you can truly now live for yourself. Minus the aches and pains, of course.
Skip

Post by Skip »

That's all fine, well and good (as my boring brother never tired of saying about what someone else found worthwhile), but two out of my three cats are outside and I can't go to bed until all the little buggers are accounted-for. As soon as they do come in, elderly Flossie will want to sit on me (She's convinced humans were put on this earth to warm her feet.) and the new brat will annoy her any way she can, until they have a god-awful fight that I have to break up. Dear Lizzie is safely ensconced on the pillow I put under a desk to lure her off my SO's office chair three days ago, and she's still guarding it from the other two, neither of whom actually wants it.

Not sure what the lesson is. But I don't have to get up early.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:That's all fine, well and good (as my boring brother never tired of saying about what someone else found worthwhile), but two out of my three cats are outside and I can't go to bed until all the little buggers are accounted-for. As soon as they do come in, elderly Flossie will want to sit on me (She's convinced humans were put on this earth to warm her feet.) and the new brat will annoy her any way she can, until they have a god-awful fight that I have to break up. Dear Lizzie is safely ensconced on the pillow I put under a desk to lure her off my SO's office chair three days ago, and she's still guarding it from the other two, neither of whom actually wants it.

Not sure what the lesson is. But I don't have to get up early.
Umm, I also thought you were put on this earth to warm Flossie's feet, Skip. That's a two to one majority vote. Sorry bud.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:I learned a lot from my beloved cats, Greta. Saving energy until I really need it, napping a lot, eating when I need to, and playing with yarn balls... Okay, not the last one, but other stuff I can learn from or learn to do, and have fun with. Now's the best time to learn about things you never had a chance to learn or do before, or never had the time for. This is your time now, having lived for others through your work, you can truly now live for yourself. Minus the aches and pains, of course.
Yes. I used to be a complete tyrannical bitch with animals that didn't behave, completely misunderstanding them, buying into the old world rubbish about animals being like "instinct machines" and "wild and untrustworthy" etc. It took a long time to understand their touching plight - born or adopted as disempowered underlings in a world designed for dominant apes for care, food, shelter, protection, entertainment and even toileting and having doors opened at times. They are completely at our mercy and their fate depends on our empathy, decency and commonsense and perhaps the most important thing they need is respect. It is possible to completely dominate the animal and notice nothing of them but superficialities, but when we quieten down and really observe what the pet is trying to communicate and the way it does it, it's fascinating. It's especially fun seeing the methods they use to get you to do what they need.

Having a pet is definitely one of the more enriching things you can do IMO
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Agreed. They're part of what makes life worth living, and I love them for it.
hazlett

Post by hazlett »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Do you think the longer a person lives, the more likely that person can get bored at some point? Would the only solution then be to erase some memories to make life more interesting?

PhilX
I believe a person can only suffer boredom if you doing things monotonously. But, if a person is willing to explore all things in life then boredom will never come in your life.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dalek Prime wrote: Umm, I also thought you were put on this earth to warm Flossie's feet, Skip. That's a two to one majority vote. Sorry bud.
Hah! That's all yous know. I am the anointed Keeper of the Holy Can Opener [Three shall be the number of thy counting; thou shalt not count four bowls unless that stray is on the back porch, nor shalt thou count two bowls, unless thou then proceed to three.] and Knower of the Arcane Secret of the Rrecycle Bin. Plus, I produce vicious socks that must be thoroughly subdued every evening.

We're not bored - honest!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Umm, I also thought you were put on this earth to warm Flossie's feet, Skip. That's a two to one majority vote. Sorry bud.
Hah! That's all yous know. I am the anointed Keeper of the Holy Can Opener [Three shall be the number of thy counting; thou shalt not count four bowls unless that stray is on the back porch, nor shalt thou count two bowls, unless thou then proceed to three.] and Knower of the Arcane Secret of the Rrecycle Bin. Plus, I produce vicious socks that must be thoroughly subdued every evening.

We're not bored - honest!
You realise that once cats conquer can openers, toilets, thermostats and door knobs, they'll send us packing, right? So keep the manuals out of their reach for heaven's sake, whatever else you do!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Although I'm fond of cats I don't keep cats because I'm a bird-lover as well as a very keen gardener who grows specific species of plants for the purpose of attracting particular birds into my world. However I love the imperious manner of cats, who clearly believe that they are bestowing a great honour on the universe by choosing to keep humans as pets. I reckon they're right.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece."
- Leonardo da Vinci

"A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime." :lol:
-Mark Twain Notebook, 1895

More here:

http://www.catsinfo.com/catquotes.html
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dog: He feeds me, he houses me and he loves me. He must be god.

Cat: He feeds me, he houses me and he loves me. I must be god.
DianeCooper

Post by DianeCooper »

I think boredom in children is common. So to avoid this situation, I think parents must involve children in various extra-curricular activities or send them to play schools where they get chance to grow and develop.