What really matters?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:35 am

Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Well I don't have kids either... so why did you write your crap?
Because you're encouraging people to have them with your bullshit romantic notions of life, you prat. Now shut up and accept responsibility for your beliefs.
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not encouraging people to have kids. I think it would be better in many cases if they didn't. Shut up your own stupid face because you clearly just want to spew with no reason behind it.
Lace, don't let him get under your skin, think of him more like a mosquito, a simple bug.

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:38 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Yes you are. You're just to stupid to realise it.
Obvious Leo was right. You need a laxative. It might clear out your brain so that you can realize you don't know what you're talking about. Apparently you've been looking through your dark cracked glasses for so long that you cannot help but misunderstand other views, and make up shit to support your own limited warped view. No wonder you can't see anything else but that.
"Obvious Leon was right..." What are you, a fucking parrot too? I'm perfectly able to read Leo's insults without translation.
Yet you're far too daft to see how they fit!

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What really matters?

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:45 am

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Yet you're far too daft to see how they fit!
*Braaach! Dalek Prime is a daft bug... A daft bug, I tells ya! (whistles)*

Thanks for stopping in, SOB.

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Green wrote:Sheesh Prime, I've changed my mind. I think a more immediate matter should be to give you a hug.
It's been tried, Green. No cure for antinatalism, once the bug's up one's nose or butt.
I can think of one. A Colt .45 caliber, semi-automatic, loaded, with the safety off, stuck in your mouth, aimed at any particular hemisphere, then pulling the trigger, problem solved! Your wish is your command! I shining example of antinatalism, after the fact.

Disclamer: This advice is totally not to be followed, it's just a point to be made for the benefit of those with pointed heads.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What really matters?

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 am

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Green wrote:Sheesh Prime, I've changed my mind. I think a more immediate matter should be to give you a hug.
It's been tried, Green. No cure for antinatalism, once the bug's up one's nose or butt.
I can think of one. A Colt .45 caliber, semi-automatic, loaded, with the safety off, stuck in your mouth, aimed at any particular hemisphere, then pulling the trigger, problem solved! Your wish is your command! I shining example of antinatalism, after the fact.

Disclamer: This advice is totally not to be followed, it's just a point to be made for the benefit of those with pointed heads.
Suicide is not antinatalism. Too bad for you.

By the way, what is your problem with microcephalics? I only ask because you you refer both to mosquitoes and pointy heads. Why not go all the way and suggest they shoot themselves too, Dr. Mengele?
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:00 am

Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote:Love and understanding. People, other animals, plants, nature, the cosmos, the arts, sports, etc. The more we love, the more we learn and understand. The more we learn and understand, the more we love.
This learning, loving and understanding business has the absolute opposite effect on me...but only as regards people. If we really look around and see how everything gets screwed up by this species, with very small minor exceptions, the miseries inflicted so gratuitously, nonchalantly and perversely, you know for certain there is NO god, otherwise he would have exterminated the slimy bastards a long time ago. Having said that, it's a good thing the world still hosts people like you and Skip. But, speaking for myself, as must be the case, finding the dark red exit door before the movie is over is not what I would consider to be a premature loss.
Come on Dubious, knowing the problem is "half" the battle, we still have the other half to contend with, and we need all the help we can get. ;)

Dubious
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What really matters?

Post by Dubious » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 am

Dubious wrote:To me the human race literally started off as a localized cancer that went into metastasis and infected the entire organism which hosts it. Cancer has always been preeminent in its power to overcome and even destroy the things that would cure it.
Greta wrote:We aren't parasites, we are the biosphere reshaping itself. It is clearly undergoing undergoing metamorphosis. Just as tadpoles lose structures, whose material is used to make new ones, so does the biosphere. It's done it plenty of times before.
Yes we are parasites even according to our own definitions. Here is one such:
A parasite is an organism that lives in another organism, called the host, and often harms it. It is dependent on its host for survival - it has to be in the host to live, grow and multiply. A parasite cannot live independently. Although a parasite rarely kills the host, in some cases it can happen. The parasite benefits at the expense of the host - the parasite uses the host to gain strength, and the host loses some strength as a result. Parasites, unlike predators, are usually much smaller than their host. They reproduce at a faster rate than the host.

Anything here not familiar in our relations to planet earth? The sentence 'They reproduce at a faster rate than the host' is also true as the demand for resources is exceeding supply as our numbers increase. The planet, as everyone knows, doesn't need us. We are thoroughly expendable as a species.

We are also most definitely not the biosphere reshaping itself! Definition of biosphere:
Part of the Earth's surface and atmosphere that contains the entire terrestrial ecosystem, and extends from ocean depths to about six kilometers (3.7 miles) above sea level. Not precisely demarkable, it contains all living organisms and what supports them soil, subsurface water, bodies of water, air and includes hydrosphere and lithosphere. Also called ecosphere.

As defined "We" are only a very tiny segment in the theme park of planet Earth though admittedly the most potent force in affecting the biosphere which clearly has not been to our credit.
Again this is negativity bias blinding us to the obvious. A parasite reduces and kills off larger systems, reducing them to retrograde, simpler ones.
I would need to be educated in how we haven't already done this. Take the Amazon rain forest and others like it, etc, in which the vast eroded tracts are doomed to become deserts due to the type of soil which nourishes it. It took overs a billion years to create. A source of pharmaceuticals beyond anything we have in our research labs not to speak of some of the most exotic editions of life ever encountered eventually reduced to sand.
Metamorphosis involves replacing simpler structures with more complex ones better adapted for the new life.
What new life would that be? Metamorphosis may be nature's way but in what way have we accomplished replacing simpler structures with more complex ones...? Our version of Metamorphosis seems more like turning Earth into Venus, a considerably less complex structure.
...but maybe I misunderstood!

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:19 am

Dalek Prime wrote:Everyone feel better, now, having slain the dragon of truth?
What truth do you believe you know? I'm thinking it's just yours!

You folks are like cave people huddled around a campfire of love to keep out the bugaboos of the unknown.
No, rather of the nay sayers!

You guys kill me.
If only we could be so lucky.

Someone comes in and sings "all you need is love" and everyone goes soft in the head.
One man's soft is another's hard.

Yeah, the cool chemical feel we get when good shit happens is great.
So stop bitchin' and enjoy it.

But it only sugar coats the uncaring nature of existence.
There are those that believe the evidence of the universe tells us the way and why we should live, then there are those that believe the universe has given us the ability to tell ourselves the way and why we should live. I'm sorry you feel under its gun. As far as I'm concerned it's me that pulls the trigger.

And someone needs to be there to remind you occasionally of it.
So says you, the unhappy camper. Either smile and join in the chorus or move along, you're killing the buzz.

So I designate myself...
You're good at that self thing aren't you?

You're welcome.
Save us and you the pain.

I know my efforts are (not) appreciated.
Yet I'll defend your right to be able to do so.

And do me a favour?
So you really believe you deserve one?

Cut the crap about me needing love, a hug, a laxative or an enema.
Yet it was you that started telling us what we need! So you should take your own advice, as not doing so wrecks your argument.

All seem to come to me in due course.
And then you woke up, just a dream, just a dream!

But just because I van find joy, doesn't change my mind that it's somehow worth throwing others into the sacrificial volcano god of existence, okay?
Again, life is what one makes it! That you feel a slave to the inanimate foundation of life is your problem not ours.

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am

Green wrote:Sheesh Prime, I've changed my mind. I think a more immediate matter should be to give you a hug.
Dalek Prime wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: It's been tried, Green. No cure for antinatalism, once the bug's up one's nose or butt.
I can think of one. A Colt .45 caliber, semi-automatic, loaded, with the safety off, stuck in your mouth, aimed at any particular hemisphere, then pulling the trigger, problem solved! Your wish is your command! I shining example of antinatalism, after the fact.

Disclamer: This advice is totally not to be followed, it's just a point to be made for the benefit of those with pointed heads.
Suicide is not antinatalism. Too bad for you.

By the way, what is your problem with microcephalics? I only ask because you you refer both to mosquitoes and pointy heads. Why not go all the way and suggest they shoot themselves too, Dr. Mengele?
You can't know my character, because you either don't or can't pay attention. So your words are usually empty!

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What really matters?

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 am

Forgot to mention that I'm not reading your shit anymore, SOB. No idea what you just wrote, but I'm sure it's more of the aforementioned shit.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: What really matters?

Post by Obvious Leo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 am

Skip wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote: I wasn't aware of the fact that it is unlawful to die in Canada. Have there been many successful prosecutions?
Please don't be a jerk about this. It matters.
People suffer horribly, for months or years, because the law - or rather, a ass called The Law - prevents them getting the help they need to end it, when they are physically incapable or institutionalized and restrained. I know of one woman who, on her fourth and finally successful try, stuffed a hospital bed-sheet down her throat. There are many messy, risky, undignified and shameful ways to end one's life, and people resort to those when sensible avenues are closed by self-righteous assholes who think they're channeling some assholish god.

And, yes, there have certainly been hideously successful persecutions of unsuccessful suicides.
I'm not being a jerk about this, skip. This is a complex ethical question for many people and it is unhelpful to refer to it in such a euphemistic way. You're not talking about the right to die at all because we already have that right as well as that obligation. Neither are you talking about the right to take your own life because this is possibly one of the most basic human rights of all. What you're actually talking about is whether you should have the right to ask somebody to assist you to take your own life and that is by means a simple legal or ethical question. My wife has been a palliative care specialist for decades and we have a large number of friends and acquaintances who work in the field of geriatric medicine. Most of them are horrified by the quality of the public debate on this question because there simply is no "one size fits all" solution to it.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What really matters?

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:29 am

Obvious Leo wrote:
Skip wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote: I wasn't aware of the fact that it is unlawful to die in Canada. Have there been many successful prosecutions?
Please don't be a jerk about this. It matters.
People suffer horribly, for months or years, because the law - or rather, a ass called The Law - prevents them getting the help they need to end it, when they are physically incapable or institutionalized and restrained. I know of one woman who, on her fourth and finally successful try, stuffed a hospital bed-sheet down her throat. There are many messy, risky, undignified and shameful ways to end one's life, and people resort to those when sensible avenues are closed by self-righteous assholes who think they're channeling some assholish god.

And, yes, there have certainly been hideously successful persecutions of unsuccessful suicides.
I'm not being a jerk about this, skip. This is a complex ethical question for many people and it is unhelpful to refer to it in such a euphemistic way. You're not talking about the right to die at all because we already have that right as well as that obligation. Neither are you talking about the right to take your own life because this is possibly one of the most basic human rights of all. What you're actually talking about is whether you should have the right to ask somebody to assist you to take your own life and that is by means a simple legal or ethical question. My wife has been a palliative care specialist for decades and we have a large number of friends and acquaintances who work in the field of geriatric medicine. Most of them are horrified by the quality of the public debate on this question because there simply is no "one size fits all" solution to it.
No Leo, you are being a shit. Stick to physics. You know that well.

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5432
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What really matters?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:35 am

Dalek Prime wrote:Forgot to mention that I'm not reading your shit anymore, SOB. No idea what you just wrote, but I'm sure it's more of the aforementioned shit.
Great, that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh.

Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: What really matters?

Post by Skip » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:48 am

Obvious Leo wrote:I'm not being a jerk about this, skip. This is a complex ethical question for many people and it is unhelpful to refer to it in such a euphemistic way.
What's euphemistic about it? Killing old folks? Euthanasia? Assisted Suicide?
It doesn't really matter what words you use, the problem remains one that isn't complex at all.
You're not talking about the right to die at all because we already have that right as well as that obligation.
Maybe so, but I've sure seen a lot of interventions and preventions and straightjacketing by people whose business it shouldn't have been.
Neither are you talking about the right to take your own life because this is possibly one of the most basic human rights of all.
You may think so. The religious busybodies who make most of the world's laws don't.
What you're actually talking about is whether you should have the right to ask somebody to assist you to take your own life and that is by means a simple legal or ethical question.
Sure it is. Take your cancer-ridden terrier to the vet and he'll administer the merciful injection for $40 and sleep like a baby, with no fear of legal reprisal.
My wife has been a palliative care specialist for decades and we have a large number of friends and acquaintances who work in the field of geriatric medicine. Most of them are horrified by the quality of the public debate on this question because there simply is no "one size fits all" solution to it.
So, who said it has to be uniform? I just say it has to be my decision, not a priest's, not a judge's and not a doctor's. All the law needs to do is get the hell out of my way. I'm not even asking a doctor or nurse to go against their convictions. Just want the ones who already agree to stop having to be afraid that some busybody will make trouble for them.
Last edited by Skip on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: What really matters?

Post by Obvious Leo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:51 am

Dalek Prime wrote:No Leo, you are being a shit. Stick to physics. You know that well.
I'll bet I know a hell of lot more about assisted dying than anybody you've ever met before, dalek. My wife has assisted thousands of people to die and I know EXACTLY what the score is in such matters.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests