Reflexions on chess.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Reflexions on chess.

Post by duszek »

I am surprised that the queen can make large moves and is the most dangerous and most efficient fighter whereas the king can only make one small move at a time and everyone tries to protect him.

Was the game developed in times of matriarchy ?
Last edited by duszek on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Reflexions on chess.

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Interesting dynamic.

So the philosophical dynamic of this is that the Queen is the most powerful...the King is the most valuable.

Normally, we consider the male aspect the most powerful...while the female must be protected.

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

duszek

Post by duszek »

The bishops are called the crazy ones in French (les foux), flag-carriers in Italian (alfieri) and runners in German and Polish (Läufer, goniec).

Does anyone know other designations ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Rooks are crows.

Is there anything wrong with "tower" ?
The figure looks like a tower, if you look at it.

Perhaps the tower serves as an observation point for a crow or a rook.
And the rook navigates the tower if needs be.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Chess can reveal to you the personality type incorporated in the player.

If a player systematically and cautiously moves his pawns forwards and never attacks what can you deduce from this ?

Is there any strategy that is generally recommended ?
Do you need a master plan immediately or can you first move here and there and wait for some inspiration coming to you later on ?

Is a bishop more valuable than a knight and a knight more valuable than a rook ?
cladking

Post by cladking »

A king projects his power to constrain his enemy. He has a good ability to protect those closest to him no ability to protect his emmisaries and soldiers. Yet he is always all important since his ability to move is definitional to his power.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

King= infinite value (lose your king you lose the game)
Queen= 9
Rook= 5
Bishop= 3.5
Knight=3
Pawn=1
Of course those values are not fixed in granite*. However, in the vast majority of games those values work. For example 2 rooks are worth one pawn more then a queen.
* For example if your knight delivers mate and your queen is far from the action in that context your knight is more powerful then your queen,
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

raw_thought wrote:King= infinite value (lose your king you lose the game)
Queen= 9
Rook= 5
Bishop= 3.5
Knight=3
Pawn=1
Of course those values are not fixed in granite*. However, in the vast majority of games those values work. For example 2 rooks are worth one pawn more then a queen.
* For example if your knight delivers mate and your queen is far from the action in that context your knight is more powerful then your queen,
...your knight delivers mate and your queen is far from the action...

what kind of brothel is that?

-Imp
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Chess, in spite of what you have been told, was developed by Aliens planing to take over the Planet Earth by obsessing the Human psyche with the game. Today with the development of the modern super computer which can beat any Human player we no longer need the game to conquer the planet.

The reason the queen was given the dominant power in the game was part of an experiment to see if a fem-dom society might possibly unify your barbaric species - Of course it failed, we found the female of the species could be more hostile than the male. So today we have the machine you are now reading off of - It will soon have complete control of your species as sure as it can beat the best chess players you have - you can't win - all moves have been calculated !
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

???
If you deliver mate with your knight and your queen does not participate, it is obvious that your knight is more powerful (in that context). Your knight won the game for you. Your queen might as well have not existed.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Who wants to play with me ?

Suggested notation:

Dark figures are standing in line 8, dark pawns in line 7 etc.
Dark queen is on D8, dark king on E8 and the white queen on D1 and white king on E1.

My partner seems to have been cheating on me, I give him the benefit of the doubt but I will put down all moves. So I can play with other people and reconstruct other games according to my records.

You can be the white team and make the first move.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

duszek wrote:I am surprised that the queen can make large moves and is the most dangerous and most efficient fighter whereas the king can only make one small move at a time and everyone tries to protect him.

Was the game developed in times of matriarchy ?
No.
Chess comes from India from around the Sixth century AD.
The "queen" piece was a Mantri (Minister), in Sanskrit, or a Vazir/Vizir in Persian. When we brought it into Europe we needed a convenient word to replace that, and it was so named because it was a lone piece that started beside the King.
Originally it was even less powerful only being able to move one square and only diagnoally; so only able to block threats to the King.
duszek

Post by duszek »

At first I thought that playing chess would calm me down but surprisingly you get emotional instead because after each move you look franticaly what dangers may be lurking ahead of you.

So chess is an exercise in cold-bloodedness and in resilience (surviving frustrations).

It is also an assessment center for the personality of the partner.
Some ugly aspects of him can show up.
Some ugly aspects of yourself can show up.
Because it is performance under pressure.

If someone wants to play with me please make the first move as the white team.
My chessboard is standing permanently on my main table and so I have the brown team as mine.
But I can also be white if it is important for you (superstitions etc.).

How about you Walker ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Playing chess is good for building a strong character.

In a difficult situation one needs to find out a solution instead of giving up and running away.
Usually there is one if one looks for it without getting nervous or emotional.