What can you truly say about philosophers?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What can you truly say about philosophers?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

For starters, can you tell a real philosopher from a would-be one? Are philosophers born or do they need to be trained?

PhilX
kriswest

Re: What can you truly say about philosophers?

Post by kriswest »

I think either or. Some are born able to think out of the box and some have life force them to think out of the box. I have noticed that those formally educated in philosophy tend to become closed minded, unable to think freely on a philosophical level.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

kriswest wrote:I think either or. Some are born able to think out of the box and some have life force them to think out of the box. I have noticed that those formally educated in philosophy tend to become closed minded, unable to think freely on a philosophical level.
Or more likely have come to understand that most of what they think about philosophically has already been better said and as such keep their traps shut until they actually have something new to say but in the meantime practise critique. I've noticed that those who have not bothered to become educated in Philosophy make the mistake in thinking that whilst one's thoughts may be unique to oneself just having them doesn't make them original.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Much like the joke about Rabbis, in a room of four, you get five or more opinions.
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

Then you get those that do not bother to actually read what was written.
Green

Post by Green »

Their actions are rarely reflected in their words. A random example is Ayn Rand, and the way she gave interviewers the respect they didn't deserve.
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

True but, it is a common philosophy to give some respect to predators that hunt you. Journalists are predatory creatures.
Green

Post by Green »

kriswest wrote:True but, it is a common philosophy to give some respect to predators that hunt you. Journalists are predatory creatures.
I suppose there aren't many ways around that, unless willing to scratch you philosophy on a cave wall where only little bugs and varmints can appreciate it.
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

Most philosophy is personal use. It rarely gives help to others. The published philosophers gave public philosophy yet kept much as personal. If their only philosophies were published then what else rummaged around in their brains? Nothing? Not possible, their words were not equal to the amount of thought that a brain like theirs would produce.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Green wrote: I suppose there aren't many ways around that, unless willing to scratch you philosophy on a cave wall where only little bugs and varmints can appreciate it.
Little bugs and varmints are probably the only ones that would appreciate it.
Green

Post by Green »

thedoc wrote:Little bugs and varmints are probably the only ones that would appreciate it.
More than likely, but introduce mushrooms into the circle and that philosopher could at least call himself a hypocrite. Or at the very least silently point and laugh at the little bugs and varmints for pretending to understand what the fuck he's talking about.