The Search for Human Meaning in an Alien Universe

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: The Search for Human Meaning in an Alien Universe

Post by Dubious »

UniversalAlien wrote:
thedoc wrote:
We all know that, we're just having a little fun with him, very little.
I am pleased that you are having fun Human - Maybe it is fun that keeps your species going
- for if it was a matter of logic your species would have been extinct a long time ago
- But the fun is over - extinction may still be your destiny. :lol:
Wouldn't be the first time extinctions happened on this planet which almost certainly would have happened innumerable times on other planets. The end of destiny or any process makes the certainty of extinction absolute.

Don't worry about that. Worry about what happens in the meantime. :!:
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Dalek Prime wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I am pleased that you are having fun Human - Maybe it is fun that keeps your species going
- for if it was a matter of logic your species would have been extinct a long time ago
Harbal was right. You are too deep in your online persona. Ease up, lad.

As to extiction being human destiny, well, no shit, Sherlock. It's every species destiny, if you look far enough. Hardly prophetic. :roll:
Why does fiction outsell non-fiction? Science fiction probably has more fans than science - Why do you think that is?
Humans do not like the so-called 'real world' and would defy any of the philosophers here to prove exactly what a
'real world' is in 'real time' - Too late the time has already passed......If anyone is having fun here it is me - And my
idea of fun is to expand the boundaries of both imagination and intelligence so that even the most logical of
meat head philosophers can see beyond their noses.......{Disclaimer: the aliens told me to say that, they find
Human philosophy, like Human intelligence to be humerous were it not so tragic}.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Albert Einstein

And my take on this is my new religion, see:
SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... uture.html
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

UniversalAlien wrote:.If anyone is having fun here it is me -
Well I already knew it wasn't me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

UniversalAlien wrote: Why does fiction outsell non-fiction? Science fiction probably has more fans than science - Why do you think that is? It's easier to understand, without reality getting in the way of the story.
Humans do not like the so-called 'real world' and would defy any of the philosophers here to prove exactly what a
'real world' is in 'real time I doubt you know what reality is, let alone describe it, real time or any time.' - Too late the time has already passed......If anyone is having fun here it is me - And my
idea of fun is to expand the boundaries of both imagination and intelligence so that even the most logical of
meat head philosophers can see beyond their noses.......{Disclaimer: the aliens told me to say that, they find
Human philosophy, like Human intelligence to be humerous were it not so tragic}. Otay then... :roll:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Really? Okay, try booking a vacation to Narnia or Middle Earth, and see how far you get. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Albert Einstein

And my take on this is my new religion, see: No, I don't need to see anything. But you may be interested in talking to the Prophet Bob. He has a new religion too.
SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... uture.html
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Harbal wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote:.If anyone is having fun here it is me -
Well I already knew it wasn't me.
Are you the same Harbal that used to use the avatar of Alfred E Neuman from Mad Magazine? - The world's greatest
Existentialist philosopher. All I can say to you Harbal is:

"What me Worry" :arrow: :?:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Repost.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Harbal was right. You are too deep in your online persona. Ease up, lad.

As to extiction being human destiny, well, no shit, Sherlock. It's every species destiny, if you look far enough. Hardly prophetic. :roll:
Of course humans as we know them could evolve into something else and then this form could go extinct, Who would remember or care?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Yes, we could be the future Neanderthals or cro magnon man.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

thedoc wrote: Of course humans as we know them could evolve into something else and then this form could go extinct, Who would remember or care?
Homo sapiens has largely been his own genetic engineer for millions of years due to self-predation, so whatever we evolve into next will be exclusively determined by US. Unfortunately the odds are not looking good.

"The survival value of human intelligence has never been satisfactorily demonstrated"....Michael Crichton.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Obvious Leo wrote:
thedoc wrote: Of course humans as we know them could evolve into something else and then this form could go extinct, Who would remember or care?
Homo sapiens has largely been his own genetic engineer for millions of years due to self-predation, so whatever we evolve into next will be exclusively determined by US. Unfortunately the odds are not looking good.

"The survival value of human intelligence has never been satisfactorily demonstrated"....Michael Crichton.
No, only a few thousand years, as long as humans were hunter gatherers, humans were shaped by the environment. It wasn't until agriculture that humans could form large societies and reshape the environment. Self-predation exists in other species, it's just that humans have gotten really good at it in the last few centuries.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

That's not the way it happened, doc. Species evolution is driven by death and death is driven by predation. For at least a couple of million years the only predators capable of making such a significant evolutionary impact on homo sapiens was homo sapiens himself, and the more sapient he was the better. Human brain size trebled in less than a 100,000 generations which is the blink of an evolutionary eye for such a large phenotypic change in a mammal. It means that there was an awful lot of dying going on. We clawed our way to the top of the tree of sentience by eating the dumb ones.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Obvious Leo wrote:That's not the way it happened, doc. Species evolution is driven by death and death is driven by predation. For at least a couple of million years the only predators capable of making such a significant evolutionary impact on homo sapiens was homo sapiens himself, and the more sapient he was the better. Human brain size trebled in less than a 100,000 generations which is the blink of an evolutionary eye for such a large phenotypic change in a mammal. It means that there was an awful lot of dying going on. We clawed our way to the top of the tree of sentience by eating the dumb ones.
Yes, this appears to be true. One reason you see me using my alien persona is the hypotheses that other minds or
intelligences {hypothesizing that they exist] would look in wonder at Man's evolutionary development and would wonder how long it can continue without the Human species destroying itself. My hypothetical alien mind says Man either gains full control of his evolution and evolves to a higher state or Man becomes extinct. I'll have to leave what a higher state is to
your philosophical imagination - No easy answers.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Yep. Evolution cannot stand still. We either adapt or join the 99.9 % of all species that became extinct before we showed up.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:Yep. Evolution cannot stand still. We either adapt or join the 99.9 % of all species that became extinct before we showed up.
Now there's a club worth joining. I would start one myself, but VHEMT already has.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

There is a strong body of opinion which suggests that any civilisation which is capable of engineering its own destruction will inevitably do so. On the basis of the evidence from a sample size of one it would be hard not to find this opinion persuasive, but it places mankind at an unprecedented nexus in the evolutionary process. I reckon there's a very real chance that we won't see the 21st century out but if we manage to grow up a bit as a species it's also possible that we might. If this is the case and we do survive another hundred years then things would start to look more hopeful for us. If we manage to survive for a hundred years then we could probably survive for a thousand years and even if we restrict our imaginations to that which is physically possible the likelihood is that if we could survive for a thousand years then we would probably survive indefinitely. This would be a game-changer in our understanding of evolution.