What is reality?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Inglorious One

Re: What is reality?

Post by The Inglorious One »

A_Seagull wrote:
The real problem with philosophical discussions is that most 'philosophers' have very little idea what philosophy is all about; they do not understand its processes nor limitations.
Sad, but true. I really like how you described what the word 'reality' pertains to. Leo's 'philosophy' leaves no room for dialectics, either between persons or between inside and outside.

By the way, any relation to J.L. Seagull?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The Inglorious One wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:
The real problem with philosophical discussions is that most 'philosophers' have very little idea what philosophy is all about; they do not understand its processes nor limitations.
Sad, but true. I really like how you described what the word 'reality' pertains to. Leo's 'philosophy' leaves no room for dialectics, either between persons or between inside and outside.

This is not true, but the expression of such a thought is utterly sad.
Definitively it is "philosophers'" understanding of the methods and limits of philosophy which define the methods and limits of philosophy. It is an abuse of language to say otherwise.
Most people who think themselves philosophers are nothing of the sort. The problem is one of arrogance and stupidity.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Scott Mayers wrote:I understood "transcendence" to imply act of going beyond a given dimension without specifying its existence or non-existence. To "transcend" the place or 'dimension' of nothingness defines a line; to "transcend" a line's dimension is the place or dimension of a plane; to "transcend" a plane is to space; to "transcend" a space is to find time; etc... .

As to any underlying unique unique truth:

Assume that "No unique truth exists". Therefore multiple such truths exist necessarily. Let 'X' stand for "the set of all multiple truths". Then one unique truth, namely, 'X', as defined exists. If 'X' is not allowed because one such multiple truth can include 'X' as one of the truths within it, then the 'process' of infinite regress can be defined as 'Y'. It breaks no rule to even be contradictory as this too is a truth within 'X'. Thus, "No unique truths exists" is proven simultaneously true OR(logically inclusive) false. Let this last statement/sentence represent a unique truth. Then "No unique truth exists" is not so unique after all.

Therefore, at least one unique truth MUST exist.
Really, you should read Holophany. :D The author uses different words to essentially say the same thing.
I will. But I fear that she's stealing my thunder if we agree. I wanted to be the one to write the book on this! :? I guess that we all discover similar things independently. If Einstein didn't come along, someone else would have proposed the theory in some similar way using different words.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Too often a very retarded person will appear and ask utterly stupid questions, "what is reality" is one of those utterly stupid questions.

This shows that he has no sense of relevance.

Doesn't trust own senses.

Need others to explain very basic stuff, that should be selfexplanatory in the first place.

Uses others as an external brain.

This is one of the reasons why buisnesses avoid philosophy.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:

Definitively it is "philosophers'" understanding of the methods and limits of philosophy which define the methods and limits of philosophy. It is an abuse of language to say otherwise.
Most people who think themselves philosophers are nothing of the sort. The problem is one of arrogance and stupidity.
So you would say that it is pseudoscientists who define the methods and limits of pseudoscience?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

HexHammer wrote:Too often a very retarded person will appear and ask utterly stupid questions, "what is reality" is one of those utterly stupid questions.

Need others to explain very basic stuff, that should be selfexplanatory in the first place.

Or perhaps you just don't understand the question?
davidelkins

Post by davidelkins »

Pertaining to Reality, A = A + B. Show me one thing where this is not the case.
DE
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

davidelkins wrote:Pertaining to Reality, A = A + B. Show me one thing where this is not the case.
DE
Give me one good reason for dismissing this comment as ridiculous. Define A and B in the case where you believe this equation to be meaningful.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

davidelkins wrote:Pertaining to Reality, A = A + B. Show me one thing where this is not the case.
DE

This would seem to have more to do with Snow White and the seven dwarfs than it does to reality.
Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote:What is Reality?

The sum total of what exists.

What exists?

Every- and any-thing that persists after you stop paying attention to (stop believing in) it.
After I die, does reality persist? I know it does for me after someone else does, but for my very special case? :wink:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

HexHammer wrote:Too often a very retarded person will appear and ask utterly stupid questions, "what is reality" is one of those utterly stupid questions.

This is a very basic question of philosophy, Hex. That you find it stupid doesn't reflect well on you. Fine, perhaps you're sick of contemplating it, but you being exasperated does not make it less relevant.

And I don't give a shit what 'business' thinks is appropriate to talk about. Their scope is limited to profit. What does not profit business does not get considered by business.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

A_Seagull wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
The Inglorious One wrote: Sad, but true. I really like how you described what the word 'reality' pertains to. Leo's 'philosophy' leaves no room for dialectics, either between persons or between inside and outside.

So you would say that it is pseudoscientists who define the methods and limits of pseudoscience?
As far as pseudoscience has a method: Obviously yes. Geography is what geographers do ad infinitem...
Why would you think otherwise?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime wrote:

This is a very basic question of philosophy, Hex. That you find it stupid doesn't reflect well on you. Fine, perhaps you're sick of contemplating it, but you being exasperated does not make it less relevant.

And I don't give a shit what 'business' thinks is appropriate to talk about. Their scope is limited to profit. What does not profit business does not get considered by business.
You have never displayed any kind of common sense, but maybe I'm wrong, do tell me where this topic has any relevance other than entertain less bright cozy chatters.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

A_Seagull wrote:

Or perhaps you just don't understand the question?
Oh, but I do, but you are not bright enough to see OP running a fool's errand in answering an irrelevant demand.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

*HexHammer has typical knee jerk response re: lack of intelligence/cozy chattering*

Okay Hex, tell me what reality is.... Oh, bugger it. You don't know.