Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
tbieter
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by tbieter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Contending that Zizek can appreciate beauty, a member of the forum has drawn our attention to this brief interview with Zizek: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
In the interview, here is what Zizek said:
"What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Watching embarrassingly pathetic movies such as The Sound Of Music."
I had contended that Zizek cannot appreciate beauty,
Here is Zizek on The Sound of Music movie on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTum8eQ51E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDccIlCErGQ

PATHETIC
1: having a capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptuous pity
2: marked by sorrow or melancholy : sad
3: pitifully inferior or inadequate <the restaurant's pathetic service>
4: absurd, laughable <a pathetic costume>

I submit that the phrase "embarrassingly pathetic" is a strange way of expressing the appreciation and experience of beauty from a work of art.

Comments


viewtopic.php?f=6&p=211640&sid=3be38090 ... c6#p211640

artisticsolution
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by artisticsolution » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:33 pm

tbieter wrote:Contending that Zizek can appreciate beauty, a member of the forum has drawn our attention to this brief interview with Zizek: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
In the interview, here is what Zizek said:
"What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Watching embarrassingly pathetic movies such as The Sound Of Music."
I had contended that Zizek cannot appreciate beauty,
Here is Zizek on The Sound of Music movie on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTum8eQ51E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDccIlCErGQ

PATHETIC
1: having a capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptuous pity
2: marked by sorrow or melancholy : sad
3: pitifully inferior or inadequate <the restaurant's pathetic service>
4: absurd, laughable <a pathetic costume>

I submit that the phrase "embarrassingly pathetic" is a strange way of expressing the appreciation and experience of beauty from a work of art.

Comments


viewtopic.php?f=6&p=211640&sid=3be38090 ... c6#p211640
I don't think it's a strange way to speak at all. I think it was an attempt at humor...I see it as a little self depricating to show that he has been caught up in the commercialism of art, or perhaps a children's movie, or whatever he thinks is embarrassing for his age, status, or whatever.

It was a compliment, nonetheless, because, well, everyone knows deep down inside...that movie rocks! Those who can't see that are probably the most miserable sort on the face of the earth...lol.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Zizek is a highly entertaining and clever man. A breath of fresh air in a stuffy, conventional world. We'd do well to encourage his kind.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:37 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Zizek is a highly entertaining and clever man. A breath of fresh air in a stuffy, conventional world. We'd do well to encourage his kind.
Odd way of showing it Hobbes. I was the one who defended the man, who is practically my thinkalike, yet you want me off this forum. :roll: Glad you at least appreciate this man. He's a riot.

From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
If you could edit your past, what would you change?

My birth. I agree with Sophocles: the greatest luck is not to have been born - but, as the joke goes on, very few people succeed in it.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Zizek is a highly entertaining and clever man. A breath of fresh air in a stuffy, conventional world. We'd do well to encourage his kind.
Odd way of showing it Hobbes. I was the one who defended the man, who is practically my thinkalike, yet you want me off this forum. :roll: Glad you at least appreciate this man. He's a riot.

From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
If you could edit your past, what would you change?

My birth. I agree with Sophocles: the greatest luck is not to have been born - but, as the joke goes on, very few people succeed in it.
I might have suggested to chose a different thread, but I've never suggested you get off the Forum. In any case just because you like zizek is not a reason to be friends with you..

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Zizek is a highly entertaining and clever man. A breath of fresh air in a stuffy, conventional world. We'd do well to encourage his kind.
Odd way of showing it Hobbes. I was the one who defended the man, who is practically my thinkalike, yet you want me off this forum. :roll: Glad you at least appreciate this man. He's a riot.

From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
If you could edit your past, what would you change?

My birth. I agree with Sophocles: the greatest luck is not to have been born - but, as the joke goes on, very few people succeed in it.
I might have suggested to chose a different thread, but I've never suggested you get off the Forum. In any case just because you like zizek is not a reason to be friends with you..
Friends? I don't even know you, and never will, thankfully. See, life CAN be good.

May as well ask; why would you suggest a different thread?

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
May as well ask; why would you suggest a different thread?
Because you often talk bollocks about things you know nothing of.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
May as well ask; why would you suggest a different thread?
Because you often talk bollocks about things you know nothing of.
Such as?

Aww, never mind. I don't give a shit about your opinion anyways.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Zizek: A Perverted Philosopher

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
May as well ask; why would you suggest a different thread?
Because you often talk bollocks about things you know nothing of.
Such as?

Aww, never mind. I don't give a shit about your opinion anyways.
Case in point.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests