Will automation destroy the labor market?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Will automation destroy the labor market?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This article says no. Do you agree?:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/20 ... ?referrer=

PhilX
David Handeye

Re: Will automation destroy the labor market?

Post by David Handeye »

Why do you always post these useless articles? Do you have a point of your own, don't you? Do you have an opinion of your own, don't you? Do you have an argument of your own, regardless of all these boring articles you always report, don't you?
Skip

Post by Skip »

What is a labour market?
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:What is a labour market?
Here's a definition:

http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... arket.html

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

David Handeye wrote:Why do you always post these useless articles? Do you have a point of your own, don't you? Do you have an opinion of your own, don't you? Do you have an argument of your own, regardless of all these boring articles you always report, don't you?
Boring to whom? It makes me wonder why you bothered to respond in this manner since the topic title tells you what it's about. Why didn't you put me on your ignore list?

And maybe I'm sitting on the fence with this one.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Here's a definition:

PhilX
No, I didn't ask what bsness has to say, which is: a market where labour is bought and sold - i.e. a labour market. Not all that informative.

But you asked whether automation will destroy "the" labour market. So I'm asking: what is the structure that may be destroyed?
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:
Here's a definition:

PhilX
No, I didn't ask what bsness has to say, which is: a market where labour is bought and sold - i.e. a labour market. Not all that informative.

But you asked whether automation will destroy "the" labour market. So I'm asking: what is the structure that may be destroyed?
Jobs for people.

PhilX
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

David Handeye wrote:Why do you always post these useless articles? Do you have a point of your own, don't you? Do you have an opinion of your own, don't you? Do you have an argument of your own, regardless of all these boring articles you always report, don't you?
Boring to whom? It makes me wonder why you bothered to respond in this manner since the topic title tells you what it's about. Why didn't you put me on your ignore list?

PhilX
On my ignore list? Are you joking? I will never. You're too clever for not having an idea of yours on labor and automation, and I'm too lazy to read the article.
Philosophy Explorer

David Handeye wrote:

PhilX
On my ignore list? Are you joking? I will never. You're too clever for not having an idea of yours on labor and automation, and I'm too lazy to read the article.
Here's another article you won't bother to read:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... f9721299=1

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

I'm aware , starting with the Industrial Revolution, that jobs were both created and destroyed due to progress. So I'm really asking whether automation/robotics can only destroy jobs?

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Skip: I'm asking: what is the structure that may be destroyed?

Jobs for people.

PhilX
That's not a structure, but okay. Is it bad if people don't have to sell themselves on a buyer's market? For whom is that bad? Why is it bad? What happens next? How does the economy change? How does society change?
Philosophy Explorer

Just came across this article that says yes, it can happen:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-robo ... obs-2015-6

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I'm aware , starting with the Industrial Revolution, that jobs were both created and destroyed due to progress. So I'm really asking whether automation/robotics can only destroy jobs?

PhilX
Of course. The ideal situation is where nobody has to have a job. Where nobody needs to damage and endanger their body in a mine or on a skyscraper; nobody inhales poison or cuts off their fingers in a factory; nobody slogs in mud or trudges in heat; nobody does the same boring, repetitive drudgery day after day; nobody is beholden, debased or exploited. We all do creative, fulfilling work of our own choosing; grow and cook food, teach algebra, care for the sick, build ingenious homes, train horses; play musical instruments, sports and board games; socialize and study.

Technology is doing exactly what it should. Capital isn't.