Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by surreptitious57 »

Harbal wrote:
Numerous studies have shown that the vast majority of people who commit suicide end up regretting it
Well actually the studies have shown nothing of the sort and for an overwhelmingly obvious reason too
Harbal

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by Harbal »

surreptitious57 wrote: Well actually the studies have shown nothing of the sort and for an overwhelmingly obvious reason too
I just made that up. I never expected anyone to be silly enough to respond to it.
surreptitious57

Harbal wrote:
I just made that up I never expected anyone to be silly enough to respond to it
Well the problem with digital irony is that it does not always work with just words
Plus you also went into serious mode which made it harder to know your intention
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

surreptitious57 wrote: Well the problem with digital irony is that it does not always work with just words
It wasn't irony, I was just being meaningless and stupid in order to conform to the OP's assertion. I'm not really sure what "digital irony" is. In what way is it different to analog irony?
Plus you also went into serious mode which made it harder to know your intention
If that's so, I apologise, it must have been a momentary lapse.
surreptitious57

Harbal wrote:
I am not really sure what digital irony is In what way is it different to analog irony
Digital can be harder to get because you cannot see the face only the words
It can happen regularly and it is a consequence of word only communication
Sometimes I have used it myself and others have got it wrong and vice versa
Risto

Post by Risto »

It is proposed here that a lot of thinkers haven't been able to find one answer to "what is the meaning of life?". What are some of the best options that have been offered for creating your own meaningful life?
surreptitious57

Seek out knowledge
Learn critical thinking
Avoid interpreting reality
Accept life has zero meaning
Accept the inevitability of death
Spend much time in social isolation
Do not deliberately wish to inflict harm
Treat right and wrong as neutral positions
Engage with those more intelligent than you
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

surreptitious57 wrote:Seek out knowledge
Learn critical thinking
Six and nine contradict.
Why seek social isolation?
I think it wiser to seek as much or as little as feels beneficial - and not be pressured either way to do more or less than you feel is right for YOU.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Figure it out!
If you don't know the answer why don't you just say so?
I know the answer.

When you are dead, come back and tell me I was wrong!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote: Well actually the studies have shown nothing of the sort and for an overwhelmingly obvious reason too
I just made that up. I never expected anyone to be silly enough to respond to it.
Not surprisingly "anyone" would think you were a bit stupid, given your other posts, and assumed you meant "Those trying (and failing) to commit suicide, end up regretting it"
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Not surprisingly "anyone" would think you were a bit stupid, given your other posts, and assumed you meant "Those trying (and failing) to commit suicide, end up regretting it"
Have you got nothing better to do than respond to stupid posts?
surreptitious57

Hobbes Choice wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Seek out knowledge
Learn critical thinking
Six and nine contradict
Why seek social isolation

I think it wiser to seek as much or as little as feels beneficial and not
be pressured either way to do more or less than you feel right for YOU
I agree totally. I was actually only posting what works for me personally. So what works for others may be different
I prefer social isolation as it provides me with psychological space which I need to think clearly. Although nowadays
I am as slowed down as I have ever been. And so do not do much thinking as such. I do more reading instead. When
you accept death the mind does not worry about life so much. So am now an observer of it more than a participant
which suits me absolutely fine. I am just killing time here before I go to the other place

Six and nine do not contradict even though they appear to because I engage with others
without actually being with them since that involves talking which I would rather not do
Risto

Post by Risto »

surreptitious57 wrote:Seek out knowledge
Learn critical thinking
I understand critical thinking, ethics and social engagement with intelligent people, but why would you choose these others as 'meaning of life'?

* Avoid interpreting reality
* Accept life has zero meaning
* Accept the inevitability of death
* Spend much time in social isolation
surreptitious57

Risto wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Seek out knowledge
Learn critical thinking
I understand critical thinking ethics and social engagement with
intelligent people but why you choose the others as meaning of life

* Avoid interpreting reality
* Accept life has zero meaning
* Accept the inevitability of death
* Spend much time in social isolation
Your interpretation of reality may not be how it actually is
Everything dies and so there can be no meaning to life as such
Being alone gives me the psychological space to grow and develop
Osric

Post by Osric »

The purpose of life might be to experience the good and the bad that life has to offer. I'm not sure what the purpose of experiencing all these things is though. Is it so we can make an educated decision when we die? I know if I could make a decision to not exist anymore I would make it in a heartbeat based off of my experiences. I would make that decision because all my experiences so far have lead me to believe that no matter what I do pain and suffering are inevitable. I experience pain and suffering no matter what I do, and I cause pain and suffering no matter what I do. My remedy for this is to not exist. Now I have no intention of ending my life, because I feel I need to experience much more before I can make an enlightened decision.

Is it greedy to want to exist? I think so. As long as we exist, based upon my perceptions, we destroy the environment we live in and we kill the other beings present in that environment just so we can exist. In order to survive we must consume the matter of other beings or consume the matter of things we destroy. It is a cycle of causing pain and suffering to negate our own pain and suffering. Maybe the point of life is to realize this and negate the impact we have on the rest of existence. Kind of hard to do that when we breed like rabbits, fight over petty things, and indulge excessively.

Maybe the meaning of life is the opposite. Maybe we were meant to indulge and make as much of an impact as possible. Maybe we are simply intelligent beasts trying to carry on our genetic makeup. The real question is how to find peace of mind with ourselves at the end of day. How do we cope with our primal urges and the beast within?