Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by Dalek Prime »

hammock wrote:
niki wrote:. . . What is the meaning of life?
Life precedes its significance. The author writes a meaningful story for itself, not bloody vice versa.
That there is a story at all is so much romantic nonsense.
hammock

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by hammock »

Dalek Prime wrote:
hammock wrote:
niki wrote:. . . What is the meaning of life?
Life precedes its significance. The author writes a meaningful story for itself, not bloody vice versa.
That there is a story at all is so much romantic nonsense.
To wit: "This sentence proclaiming that everything is nonsense is accordingly nonsense."

At least it has some vague consistency with the OP's suicidal wanna-be-ism.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I won't bother asking you to elucidate.

At least I do get what she's going through, and empathize. Unfortunately, this isn't the place for her to get help. And, while the mental health field can keep her going, it will be at the expense of the truth she now acknowledges, regarding the world and meaning ie. depressive realism.

We all lie to ourselves to get through life. This young woman is having difficulties in doing so. It's not about being a drama queen, or a wannabe. She has a keen, insightful sense of herself and the world she lives in. And she is too young to know how to defend against her insights, for her own survival.

And all you guys do is mock and badger her, confirming to her how shitty the world and humanity is.

Nicki, if you are still around, don't ask some morons for advice. They have no clue. And don't listen to me either, save this.... Every day, find a reason to keep going, no matter how small or silly. Find little joys in life, no matter how brief. Keep your humour. And know that this won't last forever.

Stay well, Nicki.
hammock

Post by hammock »

Dalek Prime wrote:I won't bother asking you to elucidate.

Well... I suppose discouraging someone away from the traditional idea that there has to be a prior condition that makes possible a meaningful life -- whether a universal "significance-giver" or transcendent template -- rather than just fashioning our own meaning for life after the fact (as a lone god in its bare situation would have to do) probably isn't as popular in gothy circles. Where the trend might be to make the blaze of angst higher by throwing more sticks of agreement into the fire of "Life is boring and meaningless no matter what, and most humans (who don't see that) are ignorant and stupid".
At least I do get what she's going through, and empathize.
And a fine approach or medicine it is, too. Didn't mean to indirectly detract from its merits. The Addams Family or Dylan/Golan fan in me can even picture a prim illustration of it hanging motto-like on the wall.

"Miss, I can relate to that. I don't have a life preserver, either. Let's both feel good that we're in the same fix as we sink and drown."

"Oh, quite. I'd much rather try to derive some scant enjoyment from this camaraderie, during the complete hopelessness of this situation, than bother with futile reflections about grabbing this or that from the deck for remaining buoyant a while longer."

"Indeed. Look at these other hysterical fools, equally lacking ability to swim, trying to garner a few moments of extra misery as they await their fate."

"Ha, ha. Yes, such idiots. I'm giddy with feelings of faux superiority, that we are uberpersons who can stoically face the indifference and absurdity of the cosmos, as opposed to debasing ourselves with such deluded antics."
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Obviously niki is hit&run. Maybe s/he did the necessary?
I've noticed that of late with many new posters. The hit&run, not the 'necessary'. But then, maybe they all did, and the forum is cursed.... Spooky... :shock:
I mean by necessary - she committed suicide rather than answer our responses.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:...

At least I do get what she's going through, and empathize. ...
Will empathy help?
Unfortunately, this isn't the place for her to get help. ...
Don't think the person is asking for any.
And, while the mental health field can keep her going, it will be at the expense of the truth she now acknowledges, regarding the world and meaning ie. depressive realism.
But if it's not the truth then no loss.
We all lie to ourselves to get through life. This young woman is having difficulties in doing so. It's not about being a drama queen, or a wannabe. She has a keen, insightful sense of herself and the world she lives in. And she is too young to know how to defend against her insights, for her own survival.
We also lie about how bad the world is.
Nicki, if you are still around, don't ask some morons for advice. They have no clue. And don't listen to me either, save this.... Every day, find a reason to keep going, no matter how small or silly. Find little joys in life, no matter how brief. Keep your humour. And know that this won't last forever.

Stay well, Nicki.
Basically 'count your blessings'.
ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

The original poster may be onto something.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
...so we say.

I think suicide is a giving-up.

Giving up of what? Suicide is a quicker route to a destination we are bound for anyway.
ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

Arising_uk wrote:
You must live a pampered life if you can afford to be bored.
So in order to avoid boredom we should maintain lives that are filled with eternal struggles and unhappiness? Is happiness the ultimate reward but bittersweet because it is then coupled with boredom?

I read this point of view recently and while I concede that while striving for something keeps us occupied, either for brief periods or entire lifetimes, I still don't understand why anyone would strive for anything when their immediate future (in the context of infinite time) lies in their death, and the deaths of everyone who may care to remember them.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

What if we never experience death? In our reality, what if we never die?

Why give into a temporary problem when if we make efforts to hang-in there we may experience a solution or resolution to a particular situation?

Should we live as much and as long as possible as long as there is a quality of life that is manageable?

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

What if we never experience death? In our reality, what if we never die?

You can't experience death, but you can die. You can experience dying.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Not sure what you are trying to express. In a very semantic way your two sentences contradict each other.

Aren't we all experiencing dying as we live each moment?

We can't experience death, thus we live forever...at least in our limited eternity that we exist within.

I understand that we live our lives over & over again, with some variation.

ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

This sounds like a supporting argument for reincarnation.

The problem I have with reincarnation is, if we are constantly living in an endless cycle of life after life after life, why can't we draw on our experiences of our past lives directly to positively influence this life? Why is it we consider the same problems time and time again, when surely previous lives may have come up with some of the answers?

Therefore I think that this life, the current one we "enjoy" (for want of a much more appropriate word), is the only one. I don't think death is a switching off of life, but life is a brief switching off from death.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Not sure what you are trying to express. In a very semantic way your two sentences contradict each other.

Aren't we all experiencing dying as we live each moment?

'ucking hell.

You cannot experience death as death is not life. When you are dead you are not alive to experience. When you experience you are not dead.
There is no contradiction here.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ncrbrts wrote:

This sounds like a supporting argument for reincarnation..
I'd not call that an "argument".
ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

I concede - I didn't have the patience to raid my brain for the right word.