Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

niki

Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by niki »

Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life? Is there actually any point at all? If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?

I always feel very alone in all my 'deep'-thinking/pondering. It's like I can't relate/connect to majority (99%) people / humans anymore. Most of them are just too superficial, and they just seem happy living everyday life just like that, while I'm not. I always continually keep learning, reading, and searching for the ultimate meaning of life, existence, & purpose.

I'm often alone in all my own deep thoughts.
this petty existence now just feel utterly meaningless to me.

Sometimes I can't help to think:
Why human's imaginations, dreams, & fantasy are better than reality / real life / real world ? (& usually the best ideas come from the real creative and/or intelligent people)
Movies, novels, comics books, video games, anime/manga, basically the world/universe created by human's Imaginations are better than this boring reality. For example: Harry Potter, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Marvel / Marvels, Avengers Age of Ultron , X-Men, Divergent, Star Wars, The Hobbits, The Matrix, Sword Art Online (SAO), Skyrim, Log Horizon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, DOTA, Assassin’s Creed, etc

Also, in those fictional worlds / universe , everything seems to have much more Purpose & exciting things going on, rather than this dull, boring real life / real world / reality. In reality / real-life / real-world, everyday life is the same & repetitive : wake up, eat, go to school/work, boring, then go back home, eat, then sleep, then repeat again.

Furthermore, in real life / real world / reality everything is only all about money, & also shallow, superficial, stupid / dumb things like sex, party / partying , fight over religions, race, ethnicity, & even small little unimportant things. I hate people / humans / humanity, and I honestly feel that humanity / mankind is hopeless.

Is anyone else here also feel the same? Can anyone here relate to what I'm feeling & thinking above?

So, again, Life is boring and meaningless, and most people are ignorant & stupid.
Then what is the meaning of life & our petty human existence?

(PS: have you heard of things like Virtual Reality (VR), Oculus Rift, and then also Lucid Dreaming / Lucid Dream , Astral Projection, Out of Body (OBE) experiences ? how I wish those things are real, so I can escape this boring world / boring life / boring real world / boring real life / boring reality ).
Dalek Prime

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by Dalek Prime »

We just talked about lucid dreaming here.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15645

Yes, it's meaningless, except for the personal meaning you may find. Suicide is not worth it, but neither is bringing another into it through birth.
HexHammer

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by HexHammer »

The meaning is what you make and create, you must force the hand of destiny and pave your own ways.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The original poster may be onto something.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
...so we say.

I think suicide is a giving-up.

tbieter

Post by tbieter »

niki wrote:Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life? Is there actually any point at all? If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?

I always feel very alone in all my 'deep'-thinking/pondering. It's like I can't relate/connect to majority (99%) people / humans anymore. Most of them are just too superficial, and they just seem happy living everyday life just like that, while I'm not. I always continually keep learning, reading, and searching for the ultimate meaning of life, existence, & purpose.

Why human's imaginations, dreams, & fantasy are better than reality / real life / real world ? (& usually the best ideas come from the real creative and/or intelligent people)
Movies, novels, comics books, video games, anime/manga, basically the world/universe created by human's Imaginations are better than this boring reality. For example: Harry Potter, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Marvel / Marvels, Avengers Age of Ultron , X-Men, Divergent, Star Wars, The Hobbits, The Matrix, Sword Art Online (SAO), Skyrim, Log Horizon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, DOTA, Assassin’s Creed, etc

Also, in those fictional worlds / universe , everything seems to have much more Purpose & exciting things going on, rather than this dull, boring real life / real world / reality. In reality / real-life / real-world, everyday life is the same & repetitive : wake up, eat, go to school/work, boring, then go back home, eat, then sleep, then repeat again.

Furthermore, in real life / real world / reality everything is only all about money, & also shallow, superficial, stupid / dumb things like sex, party / partying , fight over religions, race, ethnicity, & even small little unimportant things. I hate people / humans / humanity, and I honestly feel that humanity / mankind is hopeless.

Is anyone else here also feel the same? Can anyone here relate to what I'm feeling & thinking above?

So, again, Life is boring and meaningless, and most people are ignorant & stupid.

(PS: have you heard of things like Virtual Reality (VR), Oculus Rift, and then also Lucid Dreaming / Lucid Dream , Astral Projection, Out of Body (OBE) experiences ? how I wish those things are real, so I can escape this boring world / boring life / boring real world / boring real life / boring reality ).
Ironically, this morning I started reading ACEDIA and its discontent - Metaphysical Boredom in an Empire of Desire by R. J. Snell. http://www.amazon.com/Acedia-Its-Discon ... iscontents

The issue of metaphysical discontent was recently raised by Bill's plea of suffering:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14480 I responded that his plea sounded like the ancient vice of acedia. Here is what I wrote:

"Above, Bill has written the following:
"Although what I have been experiencing has pushed me to my very limits, that heaviness of my soul...this, Dark Night of the Soul
is something that I, at least so far, have been able to bear.
I think, if this isn't a preclusion my immediate demise, I will survive. And possibly be larger for it.
This emptiness, this sadness has expanded me to emotions I have not been able to experience before." (Emphasis added)
One of my mentors, James V. Schall, S.J., repeatedly writes that the philosopher, in his investigations, must be open to the totality of reality. Upon that counsel, I dare to sugget an answer from the world of Christian religous thought. Your condition may be from the vice of sloth. Perhaps you should do some reading on sloth, or consult a trustworthy learned priest.

If this suggestion offends you, Bill, disregard it and accept my sincere apology.

In the past I read quite a lot about monks and sloth. It is a special danger to them. As I read this thread, I thought of those readings and also what I know about sloth.

Sloth
'When many of us think of sloth, we probably conjure up images of an ugly South American animal that eats shoots and actually hangs around. Or maybe we think of unshaven Joe Sixpack lying on the sofa all weekend, not lifting a finger except to open another cold one.

The latter is a fairly apt image of the vice of sloth or its synonyms such as boredom, acedia, and laziness. Boredom refers to a certain emptiness of soul or lack of passion; acedia refers to the sadness that comes from our unwillingness to tackle the difficulties involved in attaining something good; laziness more generally refers to the torpor and idleness of one who is not inclined to exert himself.

Sloth encompasses all these ideas and more.
http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articl ... n-of-sloth "

Perhaps we now have two sufferers.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I believe your association to me as being monk-like is spot-on, in a modern type of way.

I appreciate your perspective in that regard.

As you say, I am not lazy. It's just that I have reached a point in my life, because of the present circumstances that I find myself in and because of my proclivity and history - nothing means anything to me, for the most part, in this world.

I have grown to the point to admit that collectively we are selfish, mean, and stupid.

Any morality you can derive from that would be acceptable.

Unlike most creatures we have a developed bicameral mind. Thus we can see ourselves to a greater extent. We can talk and think.

We use that ability, for the most part, to lie to ourselves.

That we are something we are not. That we are noble. That we are important.

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

tbieter wrote:
niki wrote:Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life? Is there actually any point at all? If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?

Ironically, this morning I started reading ACEDIA and its discontent - Metaphysical Boredom in an Empire of Desire by R. J. Snell. http://www.amazon.com/Acedia-Its-Discon ... iscontents

The issue of metaphysical discontent was recently raised by Bill's plea of suffering:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14480 I responded that his plea sounded like the ancient vice of acedia. Here is what I wrote:

"Above, Bill has written the following:
"Although what I have been experiencing has pushed me to my very limits, that heaviness of my soul...this, Dark Night of the Soul
is something that I, at least so far, have been able to bear.
I think, if this isn't a preclusion my immediate demise, I will survive. And possibly be larger for it.
This emptiness, this sadness has expanded me to emotions I have not been able to experience before." (Emphasis added)
One of my mentors, James V. Schall, S.J., repeatedly writes that the philosopher, in his investigations, must be open to the totality of reality. Upon that counsel, I dare to sugget an answer from the world of Christian religous thought. Your condition may be from the vice of sloth. Perhaps you should do some reading on sloth, or consult a trustworthy learned priest.

If this suggestion offends you, Bill, disregard it and accept my sincere apology.

In the past I read quite a lot about monks and sloth. It is a special danger to them. As I read this thread, I thought of those readings and also what I know about sloth.

Sloth
'When many of us think of sloth, we probably conjure up images of an ugly South American animal that eats shoots and actually hangs around. Or maybe we think of unshaven Joe Sixpack lying on the sofa all weekend, not lifting a finger except to open another cold one.

The latter is a fairly apt image of the vice of sloth or its synonyms such as boredom, acedia, and laziness. Boredom refers to a certain emptiness of soul or lack of passion; acedia refers to the sadness that comes from our unwillingness to tackle the difficulties involved in attaining something good; laziness more generally refers to the torpor and idleness of one who is not inclined to exert himself.

Sloth encompasses all these ideas and more.
http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articl ... n-of-sloth "

Perhaps we now have two sufferers.
You.mean 'coincidentally', not 'ironically'.

Please save your judgments on others for how they deal with meaninglessness. I'm.sick of hearing you tell people how slothful they are, because of their views, and that they should be more optimistic, and find false meaning to.get through tbe day.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

I believe your association to me as being monk-like is spot-on, in a modern type of way.

I appreciate your perspective in that regard.

As you say, I am not lazy. It's just that I have reached a point in my life, because of the present circumstances that I find myself in and because of my proclivity and history - nothing means anything to me, for the most part, in this world.

I have grown to the point to admit that collectively we are selfish, mean, and stupid.

Any morality you can derive from that would be acceptable.

Unlike most creatures we have a developed bicameral mind. Thus we can see ourselves to a greater extent. We can talk and think.

We use that ability, for the most part, to lie to ourselves.

That we are something we are not. That we are noble. That we are important.

I believe in certain circumstances lying to ourselves is vital, there would be less suicides. That's not difficult lying to ourselves, what is difficult is to believe our lies.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Now that I can agree with and get behind, David.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Sure, even if there is a meaning to life it's okay to kill yourself. Humans have been ignorant and stupid for at least 100,000 years, and as far as we know the advice that suicide is bad has only been around for a couple of thousand years, and only then in the middle east and europe. But if you really think life is boring in this age of visual entertainment, Internet free access to art and literature, it looks like you are playing the game wrongly.
niki wrote: I always feel very alone in all my 'deep'-thinking/pondering. It's like I can't relate/connect to majority (99%) people / humans anymore. Most of them are just too superficial, and they just seem happy living everyday life just like that, while I'm not. I always continually keep learning, reading, and searching for the ultimate meaning of life, existence, & purpose.
Don't. It's no wonder you are in trouble. On the one hand you deny life is meaningful- which is right. and on the other you are searching for THE meaning of life. One thing is pretty clear, if there was one - I mean ONE meaning to life, it's probably not going to be found by you where it has eluded great thinkers for thousands of years. So, on the basis that there is no 'one meaning' many people just pick a personal one, and live their lives to that. I works for me.
niki wrote:

This sort of stuff is okay for a distraction. But you might want to put Skyrim t one side - after all you can only kill so many dragons before the "wow - look at the way the body turns to glittering ashes" reaction gets old. Why not get down to your local institute of education and sign up for a bit of philosophy?
niki wrote:
Purpose in fiction is easy. You can make that shit up. Nothing special. Oh wait... if they can make it up, why not do the same for your own life? Maybe you life nature and think you need to save your local forest from being cut down; stop fracking; join a political group.
All that entertainment shit is designed to keep young people from engaging in the political process as this enables corrupt politicians to keep making more cash for themselves. DO you not think they might be playing you? Get angry!
niki wrote: Furthermore, in real life / real world / reality everything is only all about money, & also shallow, superficial, stupid / dumb things like sex, party / partying , fight over religions, race, ethnicity, & even small little unimportant things. I hate people / humans / humanity, and I honestly feel that humanity / mankind is hopeless.
Shit - you don't like sex? Have you never been in love?
niki wrote:

What you are feeling is teenage angst. This can fuck you up, or make a great person of you. All that alternative OBE stuff is shite. The real world is right here. People are starving, dying of disease, living on next to nothing all over the world. Do you not care that during the time I've written this post 20 babies somewhere in the world have died from lack of clean water? Don't you feel any shame about being so pissed off with your life when you can just turn a tap?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

niki wrote:Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. ...
Have you met 'most' people'?

You must live a pampered life if you can afford to be bored.

What 'meaning' do you want there to be for 'life'?

You mean your life is boring and meaningless?
What is the meaning of life?
What would you accept?
Is there actually any point at all?
You mean what is the point of your life?
If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?
You need permission to commit suicide?
I always feel very alone in all my 'deep'-thinking/pondering.
It's a lonely business thinking, read Hume then take his advice and go drink, play and be merry so you can do it again later.
It's like I can't relate/connect to majority (99%) people / humans anymore. Most of them are just too superficial, and they just seem happy living everyday life just like that, while I'm not.
What would be a non-everyday life for you?
I always continually keep learning, reading, and searching for the ultimate meaning of life, existence, & purpose.
Why do you think there is one?
Do you mean this thinking deep thoughts all alone is the petty existence?

And yet pretty much all those imaginations, dreams and fantasies you mentioned are about exactly what you mentioned? I.e. sex, parties, fighting, etc, etc.
Sure, I think many have had such thoughts about themselves being deep thinkers and everyone else stupid and ignorant. Take a philosophy degree and realise that you are stupid and ignorant as much as everyone else. At the least learn that your thoughts whilst original to you are not unique and have probably been addressed in more detail already.
See the above questions.
Why? You'd just have to wake-up again.

What do you want and how will you know when you've got it? Are the deep thoughts you should be answering.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Obviously niki is hit&run. Maybe s/he did the necessary?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Obviously niki is hit&run. Maybe s/he did the necessary?
I've noticed that of late with many new posters. The hit&run, not the 'necessary'. But then, maybe they all did, and the forum is cursed.... Spooky... :shock:
hammock

Post by hammock »

niki wrote:. . . What is the meaning of life?
Life precedes its significance. The author writes a meaningful story for itself, not bloody vice versa.
If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?

Sounds like the plan that the first 1,000 whining gods consecutively had before King Ego came along: "Oh, crap. My existence lacks purpose. There's nothing else but me and I suck at brute imagination and I'm too lazy to even introduce formulaic processes to do the work, so I might as well not even try and just.... BAM!"