Is Platonic love the best kind of love?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is Platonic love the best kind of love?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think so because I think we relate best that way.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Re: Is Platonic love the best kind of love?

Post by Dalek Prime »

My best female friends are the ones I've had sex with. So I'll say no.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Is there a best flavour of ice cream or a best breed of dog? Can't I eat a schnauzer-sicle one day and malamute Eskimo pie the next?
Why does there need to be a hierarchy of love?
Can't you have sexual, romantic, platonic, spiritual, parental, filial and brotherly?
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:Is there a best flavour of ice cream or a best breed of dog? Can't I eat a schnauzer-sicle one day and malamute Eskimo pie the next?
Why does there need to be a hierarchy of love?
Can't you have sexual, romantic, platonic, spiritual, parental, filial and brotherly?
I am talking about a personal relationship just as a best flavor of ice cream or breed of dog would be personal to you.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:My best female friends are the ones I've had sex with. So I'll say no.
Have you not got a child or a dog or a ... mother?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:My best female friends are the ones I've had sex with. So I'll say no.
Of the twenty+ women I've had sex with only two the current one, and another I've not see for 10 years am I on good terms with.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: I am talking about a personal relationship just as a best flavor of ice cream or breed of dog would be personal to you.

PhilX
Yes to all. I have had personal relationships with a friend, a parent, a daughter, a spouse, two dogs, a cat, a vocation and a garden, all on the same day - and that's before I even opened a book! I'm not prepared to choose one of those relationships as better than all the others, on all occasions or to satisfy all of my needs. I insist on my capacity and my right to be multi-dimensional.
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: I am talking about a personal relationship just as a best flavor of ice cream or breed of dog would be personal to you.

PhilX
Yes to all. I have had personal relationships with a friend, a parent, a daughter, a spouse, two dogs, a cat, a vocation and a garden, all on the same day - and that's before I even opened a book! I'm not prepared to choose one of those relationships as better than all the others, on all occasions or to satisfy all of my needs. I insist on my capacity and my right to be multi-dimensional.
You do have the right, but you do have your preference depending on the time.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

My preference for company may depend on time and need. But my relationships and commitments don't change; I don't stop loving one person when I'm with another. Nobody needs to choose which is the 'best'.
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:My preference for company may depend on time and need. But my relationships and commitments don't change; I don't stop loving one person when I'm with another. Nobody needs to choose which is the 'best'.
Can you hold two thoughts at the same time?

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Of the twenty+ women I've had sex with only two the current one, and another I've not see for 10 years am I on good terms with.
I'd say that's about the same proportion for me as well. But the ones I am still friends with, they are very dear to my heart. I can talk to them about anything. They are of the lifelong friend category.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sat May 23, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

The best friend you can have, is one which first and foremost cares about your immediate and future needs.

If those are sexual in nature, meaning that you have a need to express yourself sexually, then you should also be able to provide those.

The limitations of platonic love makes it appear kind and gentle, but act out as rough and uncaring, because it doesn't really care about the things that matter.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:[

PhilX
Can your kidneys function at the same times as your liver? Does the red chair lose its colour while you're looking at the blue one? Love is not a single thought; it's a part of your psyche. It doesn't run away or change when you're thinking of something else. You can choose your focus, without having to prefer one state or one relationship over another.
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:[

PhilX
Can your kidneys function at the same times as your liver? Does the red chair lose its colour while you're looking at the blue one? Love is not a single thought; it's a part of your psyche. It doesn't run away or change when you're thinking of something else. You can choose your focus, without having to prefer one state or one relationship over another.
Are these examples based on thought?

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Have you not got a child or a dog or a ... mother?
None of the above.