Nihilism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Nihilism

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:As for meaning, yeah, feel free to make up any meaning you like, Leo. Doesn't make it any more authentic than anyone else's. Certainly don't expect me to accept it. It's just another opinion.
Absolutely and 100% agreed. I'm not about to let any other p**** define the meaning of my own existence for me and I'm more than willing to return the privilege. It's your life so you sort it out, or not, as the case may be.
That was put brusquely, Leo. While I do mean what I said, I didn't mean any rudeness to you, and apologize coming off that way.

And having reread your post, particularly the end bit, I'd have to agree with that cliche. I often start a new day looking for reasons to continue, one slog at a time. :wink:
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:That was put brusquely, Leo. While I do mean what I said, I didn't mean any rudeness to you, and apologize coming off that way.
Set your mind at ease, Dalek. I could clearly see that no offence was intended and I can warmly assure you that none was taken. In any event I'm mostly immune to casual insult, which I regard as a necessary characteristic for one who willingly chooses to participate in a forum such as this. However I also firmly hold to the great Australian cultural tradition which could be summarised as: "If you're gonna dish it out, you've gotta be willing to take it".
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Canadians are usualy too polite to dish it out, so we're shocked when we have to take it. :shock: :lol:
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:Canadians are usualy too polite to dish it out, so we're shocked when we have to take it. :shock: :lol:
Yeah, right. And Aussies know bullshit when they see it, especially coming from a snow-munching Canuck.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm saving our best yellow snow for your delicate Aussie palate, Leo. Mmmm... :wink:
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu May 21, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

How the hell can you guys even live in such an inhospitable place? Haven't you ever heard of the Great Rift Valley? A tropical ape has no business in a wasteland where even the snot freezes in your nose. My niece is moving to Waterloo in a few months time and I hope to find time to visit her next year. ( In the bloody SUMMER!!)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I've wondered many a time at my ancestors' choice of residence, for a certainty. Even the Russian's hate it, because they never know how to dress from day to day. And neither do we, to speak frankly. I still haven't lost my spring jacket, and fall is four months away.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu May 21, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Since Waterloo is just down the road from you, Dalek, perhaps you could advise me on the most climatically benign time to visit. I assume that from May through August would be suitable, even for a fainthearted Aussie.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

That would be the safest period, yes, if you're trying to avoid cold and snow. Is she going to school there, or working? Just curious.

Hey, I just noticed you are a Kurt Vonnegut and a Douglas Adams fan. Two of the best authors ever.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote: Is she going to school there, or working?
She's taking up a post-doc fellowship in mathematics at the university of Waterloo, which by all accounts is quite a prestigious institution by world standards. I correspond with a couple of people at the Perimeter Institute, so I've heard a bit about the place. She's pretty excited about it and I share her excitement because she's only a young sheila and in my opinion young folk should be getting out and about in the big wide world. I've travelled a lot in my time, although I do so far less frequently now, and travel taught me a lot about myself. When I was a young bloke I thought I knew everything and now that I'm an old bloke I actually know a hell of lot more. But what I know best of all is that in fact I know bugger-all.
Dalek Prime wrote:Hey, I just noticed you are a Kurt Vonnegut and a Douglas Adams fan. Two of the best authors ever.
And significant philosophers as well, mate, to those with a sense of nuance.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Is she going to school there, or working?
She's taking up a post-doc fellowship in mathematics at the university of Waterloo, which by all accounts is quite a prestigious institution by world standards. I correspond with a couple of people at the Perimeter Institute, so I've heard a bit about the place. She's pretty excited about it and I share her excitement because she's only a young sheila and in my opinion young folk should be getting out and about in the big wide world. I've travelled a lot in my time, although I do so far less frequently now, and travel taught me a lot about myself. When I was a young bloke I thought I knew everything and now that I'm an old bloke I actually know a hell of lot more. But what I know best of all is that in fact I know bugger-all.
Dalek Prime wrote:Hey, I just noticed you are a Kurt Vonnegut and a Douglas Adams fan. Two of the best authors ever.
I hear you. I know bugger-all as well. We must be related lol!
And significant philosophers as well, mate, to those with a sense of nuance.
They are two of my biggest influences, particularly Vonnegut. I carry his spirit wherever I go.

Indeed, Waterloo is the place to go for mathematics. She's gotta be one smart cookie, for sure. Congratulations to her, and to her rightly proud papa. :)

PS. I know bugger-all too. Small world, that we share a mutual acquaintance, Leo.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:They are two of my biggest influences, particularly Vonnegut. I carry his spirit wherever I go.
R.I.P. to both of these irreplaceable literary figures. I can't come at the idea of an afterlife but if there was such a thing then these two guys should be brought into the breeding programme at the intergalactic zoo on Tralfamodore. By all accounts Montana Wildhack is a pretty hot babe.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I'll swap you forty virgins for one Montana.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Vonnegut would be so pissed. :wink:
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:That was put brusquely, Leo. While I do mean what I said, I didn't mean any rudeness to you, and apologize coming off that way.
Set your mind at ease, Dalek. I could clearly see that no offence was intended and I can warmly assure you that none was taken. In any event I'm mostly immune to casual insult, which I regard as a necessary characteristic for one who willingly chooses to participate in a forum such as this. However I also firmly hold to the great Australian cultural tradition which could be summarised as: "If you're gonna dish it out, you've gotta be willing to take it".
Australia has cultural traditions? Jeez, I've been here nearly 40 years and I had to make up my own. I keep hearing about the Australian culture but all the flyers explaining it were in Cantonese and Nepalese and Lebanese and so on. I couldn't understand a word of it but I'm sure glad I'm paying for it. 49c in the dollar for the most part.