Time in eternity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

There is a play, "Outward Bound" by Sutton Vane, if you can find a copy I would recommend reading it, as it poses an interesting interpretation of Heaven and Hell. It was also made into a movie, an old black and white one.

FYI, I saw the 1930 film version, and it seemed to be very close to the play.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:There is a play, "Outward Bound" by Sutton Vane, if you can find a copy I would recommend reading it, as it poses an interesting interpretation of Heaven and Hell. It was also made into a movie, an old black and white one.
I have that movie... The second one, that is (Between Two Worlds , 1944). It's great. I'm glad you know of it. :)

If I can find a copy, I will definitely read it.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Skip made a good point Doc. Even with eternity comprising the lifespan of the universe, could anything new happen? Is it all viewable, like a TV show, and we're just sitting and channel surfing? Can we make or do anything new that hasn't already happened in it's lifespan? Interesting question.
But since each human being has only experienced a very small portion of that reality, there is a lot left to see, and it might take an eternity to really grasp and understand it all, of even just a small part of it. Or do you just want to close your eyes (figuratively speaking) and sleep, I would guess that is an option for some who choose it.
That would be my option. Shutting down completely. Oblivion. Not to say your version doesn't hold my imagination. But Infinity scares me Doc. Always has. And eternity looks too close to it for my liking.
Now we are getting back to the definitions of time, infinity and eternity. I can understand how one definition of eternity that involves endless time would not be very inviting. But my idea of an eternity that does not involve time at all, seems more bearable, more user friendly.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

Honestly, I do get the difference, intellectually. I just can't get past a feeling that infinity is hiding in there, somewhere, waiting for me. And it is that I fear. Seriously, as a kid, I would have to shut my mind down when thinking about it, it scared me that much. It's primal, for me.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:There is a play, "Outward Bound" by Sutton Vane, if you can find a copy I would recommend reading it, as it poses an interesting interpretation of Heaven and Hell. It was also made into a movie, an old black and white one.
I have that movie... The second one, that is (Between Two Worlds , 1944). It's great. I'm glad you know of it. :)

If I can find a copy, I will definitely read it.
That didn't take long, 4 copies on EBay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outward-Bound-/ ... 3f42f00efe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Outward-Bou ... 20d54e68f7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Outward-Bou ... 20d54e68f7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outward-Bound-b ... 487da6e3f4
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

Good prices too. Thanks.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:Honestly, I do get the difference, intellectually. I just can't get past a feeling that infinity is hiding in there, somewhere, waiting for me. And it is that I fear. Seriously, as a kid, I would have to shut my mind down when thinking about it, it scared me that much. It's primal, for me.
I suppose some would accuse me of acquiescence, and I suppose they are correct, but coupled with my belief in God, and that God is good, I accept that when I arrive in Heaven, God will have something suitable and enjoyable for me. Otherwise why would I want to go there?
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Honestly, I do get the difference, intellectually. I just can't get past a feeling that infinity is hiding in there, somewhere, waiting for me. And it is that I fear. Seriously, as a kid, I would have to shut my mind down when thinking about it, it scared me that much. It's primal, for me.
I suppose some would accuse me of acquiescence, and I suppose they are correct, but coupled with my belief in God, and that God is good, I accept that when I arrive in Heaven, God will have something suitable and enjoyable for me. Otherwise why would I want to go there?
I hope we all get what we most want, Doc.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

Heh... Just reminded of what Slavoj Zizek said in a Q&A, when asked what his greatest fear was; "To awaken after death - that's why I want to be burned immediately."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... avoj.zizek
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Honestly, I do get the difference, intellectually. I just can't get past a feeling that infinity is hiding in there, somewhere, waiting for me. And it is that I fear. Seriously, as a kid, I would have to shut my mind down when thinking about it, it scared me that much. It's primal, for me.
I suppose some would accuse me of acquiescence, and I suppose they are correct, but coupled with my belief in God, and that God is good, I accept that when I arrive in Heaven, God will have something suitable and enjoyable for me. Otherwise why would I want to go there?
I hope we all get what we most want, Doc.
Among other things, I really enjoy my time with my grandchildren. This Sunday a young girl presented the children's sermon and my grandson was picked to be Samuel and the girls brother was Eli. They acted out God calling Samuel to service, and I was very impressed with my grandson's animated performance. I was torn between being proud, and hiding under the pew.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote: Among other things, I really enjoy my time with my grandchildren. This Sunday a young girl presented the children's sermon and my grandson was picked to be Samuel and the girls brother was Eli. They acted out God calling Samuel to service, and I was very impressed with my grandson's animated performance. I was torn between being proud, and hiding under the pew.
Sounds lovely, Doc. :) ... Way off topic, but you know what I loved to do as a kid? Watch bats at night. Still do. I was just out for a cigarette (yeah, I know lol!) and I could hear them sounding out the bugs they were hunting. My girlfriend and I even named one from last year... BB.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sounds lovely, Doc. :) ... Way off topic, but you know what I loved to do as a kid? Watch bats at night. Still do. I was just out for a cigarette (yeah, I know lol!) and I could hear them sounding out the bugs they were hunting. My girlfriend and I even named one from last year... BB.
Yes, I do as well, when I'm out at the right time, the sky has to be just a little light, or you don't see them at all.

My wife and I used to enjoy sitting out, under a roof, and watching the lightning during a storm.
Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:
Skip wrote: What I still don't get is the mechanism of choosing what to concentrate on. How? Unless your consciousness still has sequence, all of your choices are made and carried at the same time, so you always have to watch everything.
I suppose that would be a good question, but not having died yet, I really can't answer, but I can relate what I imagine it to be like. As far as choosing which moment in time to witness, I can only guess that if there is a particular favorite you could experience it as often as you like.
That's the what, not the how. The act of choosing happens in time: 1. read menu; 2. consider alternatives; 3. deliberate; 4. decide; 5. place order; 6. receive selection; 7. partake. Without time, there can be no sequence; therefore, no choosing.
As far as the future of time is concerned, if you limit your experiences to those of your lifetime, that's one thing. But I would allow that God could make all of time available to access in eternity.
Does that mean, he's making a new universe with its whole new allotment of time? And you get to sit outside and watch? Everything that happens, happens in time - coz that's what happen means: the process of energy and matter changing from one configuration to another. If there is no time, even the Alka Seltzer can't plop and fizz.
Last edited by Skip on Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Sounds lovely, Doc. :) ... Way off topic, but you know what I loved to do as a kid? Watch bats at night. Still do. I was just out for a cigarette (yeah, I know lol!) and I could hear them sounding out the bugs they were hunting. My girlfriend and I even named one from last year... BB.
Yes, I do as well, when I'm out at the right time, the sky has to be just a little light, or you don't see them at all.

My wife and I used to enjoy sitting out, under a roof, and watching the lightning during a storm.
The small joys are the most beautiful, Doc. Yes, I enjoy that as well.
Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Time in eternity

Post by Dalek Prime »

According to what Doc is saying, the alka seltzer has plopped and fizzed, and is plopping and fizzing, and has yet to enter the water to plop and fizz, depending on what you wish to observe. All time and space is encompassed. I'm not saying I buy that, but I do understand it.
Post Reply