Is jobs = wage slavery?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ned

Re: Is jobs = wage slavery?

Post by Ned »

Skip wrote:
garygary wrote: I agree that there are millions in foreign lands who are living in abject poverty. I would dare say they are victims of the laws of nature and the leadership (or lack thereof) of their societies, not of capitalism.
The laws of nature? Like - South Africa was just unfortunate in its inhospitable climate, lack of wildlife and shortage of natural resources, so the natives were at a disadvantage? Or: South Africa was unfortunate in its far too inviting climate, wildlife and resources, so the European business interests swarmed in, backed up by their nations' military might, decimated the natives and then each other fighting over it, threw the people off their land and enslaved them, stripped out all the gold and diamonds for HUGE profit elsewhere, killed off most of the fauna, made a smouldering mess.... and walked away scot free ?

Or, there is the simpler example of a child in India, earning barely enough food to survive, making a carpet that his master will sell for thousands of dollars in America. And the American dealer he sells it through produces nothing at all, but collects a commission which is some pre-agreed percent of the price he can get for it - with no regard to original cost and no percentage going to the producers.
Skip, you will have to explain to gary why capitalism (as an economic system in western Europe and America) is responsible for all the pain and misery in third world countries. He needs to know why capitalism, as an economic system makes it inevitable.

You hinted at it by mentioning "European business interests", but a more detailed description of the cause-and-effect chain could be helpful for gary.

You are so good at explaining things. :)

Just a thought.
Last edited by Ned on Tue May 26, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Ned wrote:Skip, you will have to explain to gary why capitalism (as an economic system) is responsible for all the pain and misery in third world countries.
Perhaps you meant Skip to explain to you. Or gary. The same.
Ned

Post by Ned »

PS.

Skip, I am sorry for bowing out of this discussion, but I need to concentrate on writing the second volume of my Physics book and I find the forum quite distracting. It is very challenging to explain quantum physics, without using advanced mathematics, so I really need to immerse myself in the subject. For this reason I think I am going to curtail my participation here for a while.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanx a bunch!

Okay, but it's going to be a short version.

Capital is a chunk of money that's assigned to the specific task of making more money, through interest, or dividends, or appreciation in value of the stocks, shares or properties in which it is invested, or by earning profit in some limited enterprise.
As a financial tool used infrequently and under careful regulation, and with mechanisms in place to mitigate its potential harm, capital wouldn't necessarily be damaging to the long-term health of a society.
Its potential long-term harm, even in limited use, is division of the society into haves and have-nots, lenders and borrowers, owners and renters, overlords and underlings, people as users of other people.

Its greatest danger, when applied widely and with insufficient safeguards, is economic instability. Capital works when it brings more money. This means that it requires constant, unlimited growth. The extra has to come from somewhere, and if you look at a round world, you can see that the available where is finite. So is the available space to grow in. So is the available meat to grow on. Capital plants a carrot seed, and that carrot must keep growing, indefinitely, even if its root sunder the very Earth. Obviously, it can't keep growing. Every now and then, it topples over, crushing all in its shadow.

But that's not the big problem. The big problem is turning this relatively simple financial tool into a creed, an ideology, a shibboleth, a political regime and a ruling principle of all the world. The really big problem isn't capital, but Capitalism. That measures everything - land, plants, animals, mountains, air, oceans, people, law, relationships, time, societies, birth, life and death - in terms of market value.
That means money is a god and man is its slave.
garygary

Post by garygary »

garygary wrote: Someone will have to convince me of the so-called poverty that exists in the country I live in.
Ned wrote:Just Google "poverty in America" to start your research.
I took your suggestion. I also googled "poverty in Africa"... good news is that in America, we don't really have a poverty problem. Bad news is that the same cannot be said of Africa.

Here is a snippet of what I found about poverty in America:

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau:

◾Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

◾Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

◾The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

◾Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

◾Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

◾Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

◾Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

◾The consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms.

I still need more convincing! What I am convinced of is that "poverty pimping" is a multi-billion dollar industry.
garygary

Post by garygary »

And, I just noticed... we have gotten way off topic in this particular thread. My apologies. There are 3 threads I am participating in, and they all seem to be running together.
Skip

Post by Skip »

What you need to worry about is how many guns each poor household owns.

Did you actually see the homes and cars? How many people live in the three bedrooms? Are they owned outright or mortgaged? What's the average household debt-load, and what are the prospects of jobs that pay enough to carry that debt - never mind repay it? What's their general health and education level? Owning a car isn't much good when insurance and gas prices rise again; a fridge isn't much use if you can't pay the hydro bill! Just sayin'.

Anyway, who do you think made the poverty in Africa, Indochina and South America?
Just to nudge it back on topic: people there are working at barely subsistence wages, with no safety regulation, no legal protection, no helth care and no choice , so that people here can be increasingly unemployed. That's wage-slavery.
garygary

Post by garygary »

Ned wrote:We would have to discuss books we both read on the subject, before anything else.

John Kenneth Gabraith?
Noam Chomsky?
Naomi Klein?
Linda McQuaig?
Gwynne Dyer?
John Ralston Saul?
Richard Hofstadter?
Radley Balko?
Jonathan D. Simon?
Jacque Fresco?
Barbara Kingsolver?
David Korten?
John Casti?
Rebecca Costa?
Michael Moore?
Sally J. Goerner?
Not sure where this is going, but I will present a counter-list:

Robert Nozick?
Ayn Rand?
Mark Levin?
Michael Savage?
Walter Williams?
Glenn Beck?
Rush Limbaugh?
George Will?
Chris Salcedo?
Bill O'Reilly?
Leonard Peikoff?
Ann Coulter?
Michael Berry?
Mark Steyn?
Ted Nugent!!!!!
Ned

Post by Ned »

garygary wrote:
Ned wrote:We would have to discuss books we both read on the subject, before anything else.

John Kenneth Gabraith?
Noam Chomsky?
Naomi Klein?
Linda McQuaig?
Gwynne Dyer?
John Ralston Saul?
Richard Hofstadter?
Radley Balko?
Jonathan D. Simon?
Jacque Fresco?
Barbara Kingsolver?
David Korten?
John Casti?
Rebecca Costa?
Michael Moore?
Sally J. Goerner?
Not sure where this is going, but I will present a counter-list:

Robert Nozick?
Ayn Rand?
Mark Levin?
Michael Savage?
Walter Williams?
Glenn Beck?
Rush Limbaugh?
George Will?
Chris Salcedo?
Bill O'Reilly?
Leonard Peikoff?
Ann Coulter?
Michael Berry?
Mark Steyn?
Ted Nugent!!!!!
I am intimately familiar wit Ayn Rand, Rush Limbaugh, Leonard Peikoff and Ann Coulter.

You don't need to say anything else. :wink:
Ned

Post by Ned »

Skip wrote:Thanx a bunch!

Okay, but it's going to be a short version.
I apologize again, Skip, and I thank you for the brilliant and incisive analysis.

No way I could have done it this concisely.

OK, back to quantum physics...it is a LOT more fun!!! :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

Easy for you! I'm up against the intellectual colossus, Glenn Beck and the FUX chorus!
I know when I'm outgunned.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Skip wrote:Easy for you! I'm up against the intellectual colossus, Glenn Beck and the FUX chorus!
I know when I'm outgunned.
You see why I gave up on gary?

You can't argue with his list of authors -- it is self-incriminating. :(
garygary

Post by garygary »

My list of conservative wackos served as counterpoint to your list of liberal wackos.

And I threw in Nozick to counter Galbraith!
Ned

Post by Ned »

garygary wrote: counterpoint to your list of liberal wackos.
...and you read them all, and you are familiar with their writings, to the point where you feel justified in calling them 'wackos'?

Somehow I doubt it. :lol:
garygary

Post by garygary »

And vice versa?

Shame that our conversation had to degenerate like this. I was hoping for something more.