Alan Watts!!!!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by HexHammer » Sun May 10, 2015 7:11 pm

raw_thought wrote:All your examples of Alan saying something stupid were proven to not be stupid.
The lame arguments you have presented is something children can come up with, which isn't exactly proof of anything, more proof of you being a cozy chatter, not really anything else. Please try to be serious.

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Fine, think that Watts was being stupid when he used science.
You implied that using science as a support for your argument is stupid.
Now that is stupid! You forget that people can simply scroll back and see you making stupid statements.
Another example of a stupid thing you said, religion uses the threat of hell to control people is a stupid thing to say.
It is not stupid to say that religion uses hell as a threat to control people.
Anyway, rant on with only insults and nothing of value. It only proves to everyone that you are a troll.
You may enjoy saying poopy head and then have me call you a poopy head.... Not ME!)BYE TROLL!

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 7:44 pm

One can disagee with,
1. Supporting your argument with science is a good thing.
2. Religion uses the threat of hell to control people.
However, to claim that 1 and 2 are stupid is childish and well.....stupid.

HexHammer
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by HexHammer » Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 pm

raw_thought wrote:Fine, think that Watts was being stupid when he used science.
You implied that using science as a support for your argument is stupid.
Now that is stupid! You forget that people can simply scroll back and see you making stupid statements.
Another example of a stupid thing you said, religion uses the threat of hell to control people is a stupid thing to say.
It is not stupid to say that religion uses hell as a threat to control people.
Anyway, rant on with only insults and nothing of value. It only proves to everyone that you are a troll.
You may enjoy saying poopy head and then have me call you a poopy head.... Not ME!)BYE TROLL!
You base your whole argument on what you assume I say!??! ..you truly are a clown!

HexHammer
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by HexHammer » Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 pm

raw_thought wrote:One can disagee with,
1. Supporting your argument with science is a good thing.
2. Religion uses the threat of hell to control people.
However, to claim that 1 and 2 are stupid is childish and well.....stupid.
You are not very bright, please go else where and try bother people with your hapless stupidity!!

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Umm scroll back. Everyone can see that you said those things.
Anyway, bye. I will not trade childish insults.

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 7:59 pm

HexHammer wrote:
raw_thought wrote:One can disagee with,
1. Supporting your argument with science is a good thing.
2. Religion uses the threat of hell to control people.
However, to claim that 1 and 2 are stupid is childish and well.....stupid.
You are not very bright, please go else where and try bother people with your hapless stupidity!!
Are you saying that saying 1 and 2 are proof that one is stupid??? :D :) :)
Anyway, this is too easy, proving how silly you are. And besides you never say anything except that I am wrong and stupid. Good luck when you graduate from High School and enter College. Your "argument" style will be laughed at.

HexHammer
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by HexHammer » Sun May 10, 2015 8:08 pm

raw_thought wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
raw_thought wrote:One can disagee with,
1. Supporting your argument with science is a good thing.
2. Religion uses the threat of hell to control people.
However, to claim that 1 and 2 are stupid is childish and well.....stupid.
You are not very bright, please go else where and try bother people with your hapless stupidity!!
Are you saying that saying 1 and 2 are proof that one is stupid??? :D :) :)
Anyway, this is too easy, proving how silly you are. And besides you never say anything except that I am wrong and stupid. Good luck when you graduate from High School and enter College. Your "argument" style will be laughed at.
..what I really are saying, is that you post incoherent babble just to troll.

Now I just put you ignore till you cool down a bit.

1) you are not very bright. This who thread is clearly evidence of that.

2) when you can't say anything intelligent, you resort to trolling, and I repeat ..this whole tread is clear evidence of that.

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 8:17 pm

HexHammer wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opn5iVaRyDU

How can he say this => "so the universe is a transit resistant like a bubble like smoke like" ...when he later says this => "scared of death because it's an unknown", it's not only selfcontradicting, but how does he know what the uniververse is like?

"so long as we can think of death as a bad thing we can be ruled. That is why the goverment doesn't like mystics"

..and the ramblings continues.

This should be very obvious even for teens, but guess you guys have NO cirtical sense!!
You said that in response to my request for examples of Watts being stupid.
1. The universe is ephemeral, as Watts said. Yes, he said that we fear death because we dont know that it is silly to be afraid of nothing.
2. Religions do use the threat of hell to control people.

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 8:18 pm

raw_thought wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
raw_thought wrote:??? The universe is constantly changing and yes it will eventually experience heat death.
You dis not know that???
That's theory.
Since the point we are debating is " is what Watt's said stupid?" Then your "point" is that it was stupid to claim that the universe is ephemeral because it is based on a scientific theory. Now that really is stupid!

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Sun May 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Anyway, I use quotes and logic. You only have name calling. Good luck with that!

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Tue May 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Watts advocates a view that even a materialist atheist can endorse without contradicting himself. That is why I appreciate him.

Bill Keeler
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:55 am

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by Bill Keeler » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 am

I'm an old-timer from the sixties and friend of Alan. Just joined this forum and posted on the Introduce Yourself board a long piece about him and the spiritual life in those golden years. In a fit of hyper-redundancy, I'll paste it here too.
Hello, dear friends of Alan Watts. I’m an old-timer from the Sausalito waterfront in the sixties. I lived at Gate 6 on big barge of a boat called the Omphale. Alan lived a couple of hundred yards toward town at Gate 5, on one-half of the S.S.Vallejo, a scuttled old iron-hulled ferryboat. The colorful and then-famous Greek collage artist Varda and all of his colorful scene and young girls and bohemians and sailing parties were on the other half.
I got into Alan’s books. And marijuana. Both blew my mind. An enjoyable account of Alan and those spiritual times is in my short book (on Amazon, $5.50): Buddha Dropped By: the 1960s. Through various friends and connections and many pageants and parties I got close to him. Sat listening to many of his talks and more formal seminars, there and elsewhere -- couple of times at Esalen in Big Sur, all the way up to Cold Mountain Institute in British Columbia. He knew how avidly I read and listened to him and appreciated him. My favorite name-dropping story is the time I answered a knock at my door and there was Alan with a guy, and Alan said “Bill, this is Owsley.“ (Not much of a name-dropping story except for other old timers. For you kids, Owsley was the first big acid king, practically a god.) Pretty good friends, I guess it could be said, at least I could and did occasionally call him and say hey, wataya doing?, and get invited over with my girl friend, and Alan would usually cook something and there would be wine and much talk, and yes, two times I can remember one of Alan’s ever-lucid sentences trailing off as his body tilted slowly from his chair toward the floor, and yes, both times we caught him and helped him to bed and said we’d see ourselves out.
One reason I’m writing is that too often on AlanWatts sites I’ve noticed undue interest in gossip and tut-tutting about his drinking, and I’m able to add to that, and will.
First, I’d like all who are interested to ask themselves this: what possible relevance does this matter have to the magnificence of the written and spoken words Alan left us? Does such information decrease the potential those words have to impact on us in a meaningful way? Let us not be lost in trivial pursuits.
Alan drank. He liked to drink. And he had a very active and productive work and social life with lots of friends around him to the very end. And his speech didn’t slur and he was always superb. As far as I ever observed he took virtually no physical exercise, and like about everyone of that era he ate too much meat and fat. Tobacco? My memory is that had gone out of his life, along with smoking marijuana, because of the throat effect. But overall, it wasn’t a body being properly taken care of.
Now I’ll tell you a nice story. The last years of his life were lived in a hand-crafted cottage on the eucalyptus-covered hillsides above Muir Woods. From that cottage he would address college audiences around the country and beyond, Alan being represented on stage in the form of a sign and a radio speaker, and Alan himself seated at a small table at home. He had found during his career that he “performed” better with an audience, even a small one, so he would always invite about a dozen or so friends to attend. We would arrive about a hour beforehand, and there would be refreshments and socializing, with Alan mingling and chatting, and certainly not paying any attention to the fact that the student body of some prestigious college was convening to hear his words. Then, with five minutes to go, he would ask us to arrange ourselves and be seated, and he would sit as his table. After, some preliminaries such as making certain the volume was properly adjusted for his audience, he would begin.
His little table was bare, except for the microphone. There were no notes. The usual duration of these talks was a half hour to forty-five minutes. And he would speak for the entire time in perfectly polished paragraphs, every comma in place, the message clear, well organized, and mesmerizing. His secretary once told me that most of his books were in first draft form, that changes from the first typing were almost entirely punctuation adjustments, a word change here and there.
Like thousands, I say “Alan Watts? That man changed my life!”

raw_thought
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 am

Buddhist guy wrote:Apparently raw though is correct. You are not interested in rational and respectful debate or learning anything. I am not interested in
trading pointless abuse and insults so I will say goodbye.
That is the intelligent course of action.. Everyone at phil now knows that hexhammer is a troll . All he does is post, Im smart. You are an idiot.
He is a high school student and so his immature behaviour is understandable. But he sure is obnoxious!
I have never met anyone so uninformed as him.
I should take your advice. Unfortunately, the insecure rants and tantrums of the sheeple piss me off.

cladking
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 am

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by cladking » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks for the post and info Bill Keeler.

I guess I'll have to do a little more research on the guy.

I've long said I want Van Morrison's "Alan Watts Blues" played at my funeral. It's a beautiful song rthat captures a mood.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests