~~~ WISDOM ~~~

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~~~ WISDOM ~~~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Philosophy is the love of wisdom.

I copy & pasted the wiki page to the term wisdom.

Wisdom, direct wisdom, is not just the accumulation of information – through the internet.

Accumulation of information is a function of the intellect.

Wisdom is an understanding.

Created by a mixture of experience and information.

Just got back from what I call, my church = the gym.

If I take the right mixture of pre-workout chemicals and I work-out hard enough, I gain a few moments within a miracle.

A clarity, where all my thoughts disappear and I am revealed in moments of life.

A few moments of a much larger stage where wisdom could become present.

Working-out, increasing the body's health, does not provide wisdom.

Accumulating information, does not invoke wisdom.

Increasing one's wealth does not bring wisdom.

Wisdom is a viewpoint. A perspective.

Increasing one's viewpoint or perspective sets the stage for a presence of wisdom.

Having a detachment, giving up of attachment could be a sign of detachment and an understanding that our outer lives never add-up to wisdom.
Wisdom happens internally, without any direct outer signs that could ever be perceived as possession of a larger wisdom.

Just a side note, the ability to give-up, to let go of material things, even perhaps life itself, could be a reflection of a state of wisdom, of detachment to this outer world.

How do you exercise your wisdom?

What do you do to increase your wisdom?

What do you do to help increase your perspective?

Are you able to steal from the gods a temporary increase of perspective; of wisdom?

What do you do to create miracles within your life?

Buddhist guy

Re: ~~~ WISDOM ~~~

Post by Buddhist guy »

Hi Bill,

Mainly through my ethical choices and loving myself/others.

Walk, reflect, meditate, observe, be without judgement, analyse and practicing compassion.

Since wisdom and perspective seem to me to be two sides of the same coin, all of the above.
Are you able to steal from the gods a temporary increase of perspective; of wisdom?
For me wisdom is a birthright, cannot be therefore stolen and is never lost, only gained.
Let life be.
Seremonia

Post by Seremonia »

Wisdom is ability to understand things in a wider perspective or even wider than previously to see things within correct orders that would make us doing things with proper adjustment.

Well, although it sounds great, but practically it's not as easy we thought.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Bill, your pic depicts human beings as essentially mindless, helpless and powerless victims of life. If you do not believe human beings are capable of choice, this seems to utterly negate the possibility of wisdom. Indeed it renders everything including wisdom meaningless. Why then ask the question? :|
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I asked the questions - then re-asked the questions HOPING for an answer.

The GIF I used is a depiction I chose to use.

But I am looking for your opinion; other perspectives.

I asked questions hoping for some answers from fellow members as yourself. I already know what I have posted here.

Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

I asked the questions - then re-asked the questions HOPING for an answer.

The GIF I used is a depiction I chose to use.

But I am looking for your opinion; other perspectives.

I asked questions hoping for some answers from fellow members as yourself. I already know what I have posted here.

Okay fair enough. My mistake. :)
van Keister

Post by van Keister »

Wisdom is simply an excuse for the quit trying, the believe in my heartfelt, weak conclusions beyond the perspectives themselves. I believe that we humans are limited to perspectives only like frogs sitting around a pond and how narrow it is to presuppose and create insufferable truths masked, stamped, and sold as wisdom. Our only wisdom is that which leads us to crawl out of the slime of life, to something higher as we stand on our own two feet and dare shout man to the darkness. The wisdom that endorses pie in the sky and worlds beyond is fit for only old ladies and insufferable types without backbones. Live with perspectives knowing that they are our perspectives, we humans....
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

In a way I kind-of agree with you to a point. Actually we agree that wisdom is a perspective.

I perceive that we can increase our wisdom; our perspective by increasing our capacity for information coupled with experience.

I asked, within this thread, if you and other active members are able to actively stretch your perspective. Even if only for a temporary time.

I also understand your sentiment about howling into the darkness. How liberating that is.

Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Wisdom comes from perspective and perspective comes from experience. Wisdom is of two kinds, truth and practical. Truth wisdom is metaphysics and epistemic. Practical wisdom is everything else but particularly pragmatic (circumstance-bound).
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

You might like to check our the Chicago Institute for Practical Wisdom.

It's just as crazy as it sounds.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=PeteJ post_id=473027 time=1600951235 user_id=11479]
You might like to check our the Chicago Institute for Practical Wisdom.

It's just as crazy as it sounds.
[/quote]

Pff. All they had to do was talk to me for five minutes, not found an institute. This is why philosophy goes nowhere!

I have problems with the practical version because it's logical extreme is pragmatism over idealism, which is Hell on Earth. Truth should always be the first priority as it's a prerequisite for all other ultimate goals, like sustainability or peace or justice. (anything non-emotional)
zinnat13

Post by zinnat13 »

There are three different but quite simillar phenomena which make people to confuse those with each other.

Intelligence is how much one can learn, knowledge is what one has been learnt so far and wisdom is how one uses his intelligence and knowledge. Unlike other two, wisdom is more about intention than abilities.

To explain this, I want to put forth an analogy. A programmer is intelligent and knowledgeable but the same is true for a hacker. Not only that, odds are in the favour that a hacker may be more intelligent and knowledgeable than original programmer otherwise he may not be able to hack software but the difference lies between the wisdom of the two. The programmer is wise because he is using his abilities positively while the hacker is unwise because of having negative and destructive intention.

With love,
Sanjay
bahman

Post by bahman »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm .

Philosophy is the love of wisdom.

I copy & pasted the wiki page to the term wisdom.

Wisdom, direct wisdom, is not just the accumulation of information – through the internet.

Accumulation of information is a function of the intellect.

Wisdom is an understanding.

Created by a mixture of experience and information.

Just got back from what I call, my church = the gym.

If I take the right mixture of pre-workout chemicals and I work-out hard enough, I gain a few moments within a miracle.

A clarity, where all my thoughts disappear and I am revealed in moments of life.

A few moments of a much larger stage where wisdom could become present.

Working-out, increasing the body's health, does not provide wisdom.

Accumulating information, does not invoke wisdom.

Increasing one's wealth does not bring wisdom.

Wisdom is a viewpoint. A perspective.

Increasing one's viewpoint or perspective sets the stage for a presence of wisdom.

Having a detachment, giving up of attachment could be a sign of detachment and an understanding that our outer lives never add-up to wisdom.
Wisdom happens internally, without any direct outer signs that could ever be perceived as possession of a larger wisdom.

Just a side note, the ability to give-up, to let go of material things, even perhaps life itself, could be a reflection of a state of wisdom, of detachment to this outer world.

There is no such a thing as wisdom as wiki suggest. What wiki suggest is logical thinking.