is evolution shaped by death

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

is evolution shaped by death

Post by jackles »

Are evolved forms shaped by the invisible force of death. Is this invisible and unmoving force of death changing the moving things of life and is the evolution of species the life beond at work in nature.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: is evolution shaped by death

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

jackles wrote:Are evolved forms shaped by the invisible force of death. Is this invisible and unmoving force of death changing the moving things of life and is the evolution of species the life beond at work in nature.
Yes, death is the most important thing about evolution as without it there would be none.
But you are wrong to characterise it as in invisible force, it is not such thing.
Death, and particularly untimely death is the means by which only successful behaviours and traits can persist into the next generation.
Evolution is the promotion of characteristics by means of individual members of species living long enough to have viable progeny. There is simply no other rubric.

Evolution is not the selection of positive traits. But the selection of successful individuals with collections of traits that can be neutral and even negative - (just so long as they are not detrimental enough to cause the individual to die before they create viable progeny).

As all living things have a negative propensity to death, it would appear obvious that such a negative trait is no impediment to evolution.
Rilx

Post by Rilx »

Maybe a sidetrack but this is one of my favourite quotes:

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
~ ~ Max Planck
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

Is evolution shaped by death? Do you mean is it shaped by a 'death' of consciousness?
It is. I think a will to survive, a relationship with God; a will to transcend, to overcome... is obviously part of evolution. We have been viewing genetics in a very mechanical way up until recently, and as time goes on the field of genetics will continue to become less mechanical as we realize genes activate and deactivate; the brain is involved in this process, so consciousness therefor plays a role; thus evolution is influenced by consciousness, which is in turn directly influenced by beliefs. ......
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ianrust wrote:Is evolution shaped by death? Do you mean is it shaped by a 'death' of consciousness?
It is. I think a will to survive, a relationship with God; a will to transcend, to overcome... is obviously part of evolution. We have been viewing genetics in a very mechanical way up until recently, and as time goes on the field of genetics will continue to become less mechanical as we realize genes activate and deactivate; the brain is involved in this process, so consciousness therefor plays a role; thus evolution is influenced by consciousness, which is in turn directly influenced by beliefs. ......
Evolution is not related to God. Where have you been for the last 150 years; in a monkhouse?
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ianrust wrote:Is evolution shaped by death? Do you mean is it shaped by a 'death' of consciousness?
Evolution is not related to God. Where have you been for the last 150 years; in a monkhouse?
If I believe in God, I will behave differently than if I do not. That difference in behavior will effect how I reproduce, and survive. So yes, belief in God is directly related to evolution. Now, what?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

inrush wrote:... and as time goes on the field of genetics will continue to become less mechanical ...
Given that this field, along with Molecular Biology, is what has allowed Biology to at last become more than taxonomy and become an Engineering subject I think your thought in error. We now have a small grasp upon the 'Tree of Life' despite your 'God's' will.
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

Arising_uk wrote:
inrush wrote:... and as time goes on the field of genetics will continue to become less mechanical ...
Given that this field, along with Molecular Biology, is what has allowed Biology to at last become more than taxonomy and become an Engineering subject I think your thought in error. We now have a small grasp upon the 'Tree of Life' despite your 'God's' will.
That is irrelevant. Genetics is changing, it's become more interactive and will continue to.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ianrust wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
If I believe in God, I will behave differently than if I do not. That difference in behavior will effect how I reproduce, and survive. So yes, belief in God is directly related to evolution. Now, what?
Like most religionists you don't understand evolution in the slightest.
You might as well say that eating bananas are directly related to evolution.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ianrust wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
That is irrelevant. Genetics is changing, it's become more interactive and will continue to.
That is an abuse of the term "interactive".
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

It isn't. When a gene activates or deactivates according to behavior, that is an interactive relationship. Pick the word apart if you feel the need, waste your time.
Last edited by ianrust on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ianrust wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Eating bananas is directly related to evolution. Read:
http://necsi.edu/projects/evolution/co- ... dator.html
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ianrust wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ianrust wrote: If I believe in God, I will behave differently than if I do not. That difference in behavior will effect how I reproduce, and survive. So yes, belief in God is directly related to evolution. Now, what?
Clearly you need to investigate the word "DIRECTLY".
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ianrust wrote:It isn't. When a gene activates or deactivates according to behavior, that is an interactive relationship. Pick the word apart if you feel the need, waste your time.
As I suspected you don't understand evolution.

You are born and die with the same genome. Evolution works on the variable survival of individuals: those that have viable progeny against those that fail to reproduce.
Epigenetics may have a small role to play, but nothing uncovered by science changes the fact that nothing we do during our lives can change the genome, though some genes might get switched on or off (in a limited way), evolution runs on Natural Selection.
ianrust

Post by ianrust »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ianrust wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Clearly you need to investigate the word "DIRECTLY".
No, you can extrapolate it. I'm not interested in picking apart your jargon for you. You do need to investigate "post modernism", though - that's a philosophy about language. THanks, bye.