Philosophy Explorer

Is philosophy nitpicking?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Worthless or worthwhile? Discuss

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Re: Is philosophy nitpicking?

Post by marjoram_blues »

'Discuss' - is this to be a conversation, a debate, an essay...or 'all/none of the above'?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Worthless or worthwhile? Discuss

PhilX

Yes, it is. Now if you want some discussion, state a position or opinion.
Philosophy Explorer

Marjoram, all of the above as long as it applies to the topic at hand.

Doc, I see philosophy as being worthwhile (primary example, government). But there are times where I see it as nitpicking (e.g. trivial arguments).

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

PhilX - I only have time for a few words. Whole threads have been given over to discuss such.

If philosophy 'nitpicks' it might be in the sense of clarifying meaning. Then, that is fine. It is always worthwhile to clear out some mental cobwebs. Defining terms is important to prevent cross-talk and misunderstandings. Sometimes meaning is deliberately distorted by use of equivocation. http://www.fallacyfiles.org/equivoqu.html

'Worthless or worthwhile' - that depends on the type of philosophy undertaken and what you find valuable in it or want to get out of it. Could be that there is a little bit of worthwhile hiding under the seemingly worthless...
Philosophy Explorer

marjoram_blues wrote:PhilX - I only have time for a few words. Whole threads have been given over to discuss such.

If philosophy 'nitpicks' it might be in the sense of clarifying meaning. Then, that is fine. It is always worthwhile to clear out some mental cobwebs. Defining terms is important to prevent cross-talk and misunderstandings. Sometimes meaning is deliberately distorted by use of equivocation. http://www.fallacyfiles.org/equivoqu.html

'Worthless or worthwhile' - that depends on the type of philosophy undertaken and what you find valuable in it or want to get out of it. Could be that there is a little bit of worthwhile hiding under the seemingly worthless...
I avoid defining terms because that tends to limit discussion. I prefer to let the context define the meaning of a word or phrase (so far I haven't ran into problems in this area).

Anything worthless, as you indicated, can lead to something worthwhile (I did worthless selling for a few years until my eyes opened up wide). Do not be afraid to make mistakes because then we may learn the truth.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

No, I do not think philosophy is nitpicking. It is just a way to understand what is going on around us. Maybe some think that it is, but I don't think that it is.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

How can one even say "nitpicking"? There is nothing of substance to even pick at?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Well yeah what's wrong with nit picking anyway? Philosophy is that surely or it is nothing... :)
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Hi, I'm Blaggard...the things people say that are complete bullshit.