Can we feel philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can we feel philosophy?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm really asking do we need emotion to understand philosophy or is it all reasoning (I believe the former)?

PhilX
jackles

Re: Can we feel philosophy?

Post by jackles »

Feeling or emotion is a electrochemical representation of consciouse awareness . If we as observers look at an object shall we say for instance the stars in a clear night sky that might fill us with a feeling of wonder. It is our consciousness that the stars are inside of that has that feeling as a representation of its self.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Yes. The word intuition means a feeling of correctness in the vernacular but it's better used to mean the understanding that surpasses knowledge when a true expert "knows" without thinking. It can be expressed as a feeling either way. In the first sense it is not knowledge and in the second it is. Intuitive philosophy, then, is a way of feeling philosophy.
Eyeon

Post by Eyeon »

Last edited by Eyeon on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:12 am I'm really asking do we need emotion to understand philosophy or is it all reasoning (I believe the former)?

PhilX
What is feeling?
Feeling is the nominalization of the verb to feel.[1]

Originally used to describe the physical sensation of touch through either experience or perception, the word is also used to describe other experiences, such as "a feeling of warmth"[2] and of sentience in general. In Latin, sentire meant to feel, hear or smell.

In psychology, the word is usually reserved for the conscious subjective experience of emotion.[3] Phenomenology and heterophenomenology are philosophical approaches that provide some basis for knowledge of feelings. Many schools of psychotherapy depend on the therapist achieving some kind of understanding of the client's feelings, for which methodologies exist.

Perception of the physical world does not necessarily result in a universal reaction among receivers (see emotions), but varies depending upon one's tendency to handle the situation, how the situation relates to the receiver's past experiences, and any number of other factors.

Feelings are also known as a state of consciousness, such as that resulting from emotions, sentiments or desires.

Feelings are only felt and are abstract in nature. They cannot be touched.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeling
Philosophy per se is none of the above.

I believe 'philosophy' is basically an inherent primal function just like the intellect, reasoning, emotions, 5 senses, sex and the likes. It is a very subliminal function thus not easily perceivable.

Being subliminal, philosophy is primarily spontaneous and will not be felt unless it activities trigger any of the other functions that trigger feelings e.g. conscious awareness, emotions, the senses, desires and others.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

How should I feel while I am searching for Truth? Should I feel excited? Intrigued? Anxious? Elated? Frustrated?

Philosophy should cause me to feel something, else why do I bother?

But isn’t ignorance a pleasant feeling?

Yet isn’t feeling an essential part of human life?

If feeling is part of an experience, than the experience of philosophy must include feelings.

If feeling is a part of life and philosophy is part of life, feelings are a necessary part of philosophy.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 pm How should I feel while I am searching for Truth? Should I feel excited? Intrigued? Anxious? Elated? Frustrated?
It just sneaks up on you, really it does. When I am contemplating subject and predicate grammar really good and hard, I usually have to beat my trousers with a frying pan to make the tent go away. Sadly, sometimes the kitchenware loses the fight and a damn fine skillet goes dented to its grave. Good philosophy is just that empurpling.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

We can even suspect that philosophy (and any other reasoning) is nothing but emotions. Perhaps, whenever we think we see any consistency in reasoning, it’s just our emotions preventing us from seeing inconsistencies, just like a lover is quite blind about the defects of his beloved. There isn't even any reason to be worried about this: on the contrary, it can be a reason to enjoy philosophy and, more in general, life.