~ We Are ALL Slaves to the Desires That Own Us ~

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ We Are ALL Slaves to the Desires That Own Us ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...and no philosophy can help us. We are TOTAL slaves to each other and to the desires that decide to own us.

And our slavery transcends our death Into eternity..

Arising_uk

Re: ~ We Are ALL Slaves to the Desires That Own Us ~

Post by Arising_uk »

Schopenhauer said it better.

You're just a gnu working out your issues in public and they are symptomatic of a childless man with too much time on his hands.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You are a slave to the inferiority that, for whatever irrational reason, you feel towards me.

...and I am just as uncomfortable as you are when you display the dis-ease towards me.

tbieter

Post by tbieter »

But, after fifty years smoking cigarettes, I was able to quit by sheer will-power six years ago and counting.

I discovered the principle, in both Thomas Aquinas and William James, that the more one resists giving in to a desire, the weaker that desire becomes.

Let us all celebrate will-power, self-discipline, and self-control.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

As long as you understand that the desire to quit smoking is no different from the desire to smoke.

The discipline
to quit smoking is no different from the discipline to smoke.

You are a victim of your desires. You are a slave.

You are tied and used by the desires that choose you.

Thank you for allowing me to bring this important philosophical point into focus.

hammock

Post by hammock »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...and no philosophy can help us. We are TOTAL slaves to each other and to the desires that decide to own us.
Finally, you have clarified enough. Yes, I've often noted that death removes all the innate / acquired needs, tendencies, threats of consequence, and social regulatory structure which force me to believe that life overall or being alive is a desirable state (and that death was an undesirable "state" during that period when thought about it was possible). Once that enslaving framework is eventually gone, the absence of myself and everything else might figuratively be depicted as an unspoken rhetorical question: "So now do all those things and goals and people you were suffering over still seem important?" Free at last, free at last, of "___ is significant and must be satisfied because it or the system it is embedded in circularly vouches for itself."
And our slavery transcends our death Into eternity.
Well, if you believe the absence after death is a timeless, spaceless, universal bridge connecting experience or cognition in karma-like selectivity to yet another living body (i.e., the brain of a fetus begins by also sporting "nothingness" until it develops more fully into a sentient phase). The new being accordingly later only featuring its own memories and not that of the former life. Personally, I'd tend toward: If there's anything to generic subjectivity at all, then the provenance which brain processes manipulate to conjure extrospective and introspective manifestations might be universal, in which case "you" only seem to be in this one body because that's all that the memory and received sensory information of that brain provide awareness for. There's no experience available of you being everyone (because no single brain can output such a cognition). Accordingly, after going belly-up one would not so much "migrate" to another body as already have been there in it and others for _X_ years. That is, any universal provenance for experience is left with only the surviving brains to provide the feelings and manifestations of individual embodiment.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.You are a slave to the inferiority that, for whatever irrational reason, you feel towards me.
Just your gnu delusion as there is nothing irrational about my dislike for your thoughts as they are harmful to you and those too young to maybe know better.
...and I am just as uncomfortable as you are when you display the dis-ease towards me.
Your feelings are of no interest to me so please keep them to yourself and your shrink.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

hammock wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:...and no philosophy can help us. We are TOTAL slaves to each other and to the desires that decide to own us.
Finally, you have clarified enough. Yes, I've often noted that death removes all the innate / acquired needs, tendencies, threats of consequence, and social regulatory structure which force me to believe that life overall or being alive is a desirable state (and that death was an undesirable "state" during that period when thought about it was possible). Once that enslaving framework is eventually gone, the absence of myself and everything else might figuratively be depicted as an unspoken rhetorical question: "So now do all those things and goals and people you were suffering over still seem important?" Free at last, free at last, of "___ is significant and must be satisfied because it or the system it is embedded in circularly vouches for itself."
[/quote]
I don't believe it's a desirable state at all. It's not really a "state" at all, it's just is. One cannot experience being dead. Life is something the cosmos forced upon us with no choice of our own. We are slaves to it. Any sane, rational being would choose non-existence over this pile of apeshit. From your wording, you sound to me like you're a man who doesn't believe what they force you to believe either.
And our slavery transcends our death Into eternity.
Well, if you believe the absence after death is a timeless, spaceless, universal bridge connecting experience or cognition in karma-like selectivity to yet another living body (i.e., the brain of a fetus begins by also sporting "nothingness" until it develops more fully into a sentient phase). The new being accordingly later only featuring its own memories and not that of the former life. Personally, I'd tend toward: If there's anything to generic subjectivity at all, then the provenance which brain processes manipulate to conjure extrospective and introspective manifestations might be universal, in which case "you" only seem to be in this one body because that's all that the memory and received sensory information of that brain provide awareness for. There's no experience available of you being everyone (because no single brain can output such a cognition). Accordingly, after going belly-up one would not so much "migrate" to another body as already have been there in it and others for _X_ years. That is, any universal provenance for experience is left with only the surviving brains to provide the feelings and manifestations of individual embodiment.
[/quote]
That sounds like a sound, logical, reasonable, and scientific belief. However I have a little more to add, I believe consciousness has a slight structure and memory capacity of its own, this would account for several things.