what is normality?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: what is normality?

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:So only Americans go gaga over the Royal Family?
Compared to the Brits, yup.
hammock

Post by hammock »

David Handeye wrote:I don't consider the concept of normality would be arbitrary at all, and so being linked to altering elements like social contests, personal education, common sense, etc. There should be a thread along with things and persons could be considered as normal despite historical variances and personal assumptions. What is this thread? What are the elements never to be excluded by the concept of normality? Or else, what are those elements always recognized to be normal and that could never be questioned?
Doubtless biology could concoct a list of properties that enable a human body to be distinguished from trees and rocks, thus those physical traits being common / necessary for membership. Psychological and social norms, however... The herd endures by favoring behaviors in individuals that ensure its overall continuance. But a different environment can still change the supposed standards falling out of such, even allowing eccentric acts and displays that could neither add nor detract from group survival, if the new circumstances are over-abundant in resources. Wild chickens (jungle fowl) have mating rituals of a sort that permit the hen to have some choice of the males which mount her; whereas the males of free-roaming domesticated chickens (pampered and fed) discard tradition for gang-rape (bantam roosters occasionally being an exception). Sometimes, deviation from a pack's norm offshoots into a profitable, alternative lifestyle. Wolves with less adrenaline production coming right into human camps, their more amiable dispositions and unstable fur-colors soliciting people to toss them food scraps, eventually developing into dogs.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

David Handeye wrote:I don't consider the concept of normality would be arbitrary at all, and so being linked to altering elements like social contests, personal education, common sense, etc. There should be a thread along with things and persons could be considered as normal despite historical variances and personal assumptions. What is this thread? What are the elements never to be excluded by the concept of normality? Or else, what are those elements always recognized to be normal and that could never be questioned?
It's not so much arbitrary as culturally and socially constructed. It changes and depends on the historical context.
100 years ago, what we would call racist, would have been considered normal, as would the expectation of no sex before marriage; and a range of other practices that have since been challenged.
Homosexuality, now considered normal by most of us was illegal.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
It's not so much arbitrary as culturally and socially constructed. It changes and depends on the historical context.
100 years ago, what we would call racist, would have been considered normal, as would the expectation of no sex before marriage; and a range of other practices that have since been challenged.
100 years ago I would have been the one person calling you out on your idiotic beliefs, the only person standing up for the queers just as i am the only person standing up for the transes, animals, and whoever else in general, while you spit in my face.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I could say if homosexuality was to be normal then humanity had to be extinguished since a lot. Maybe Trixie would be pleased with this.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

David Handeye wrote: I could say if homosexuality was to be normal then humanity had to be extinguished since a lot. Maybe Trixie would be pleased with this.
Sorry but I can't understand your sentence structure, it sounds 1st gradish.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Normality is the human DNA. Human DNA evolves over time. Current trend is "ape want money, ape want family, ape want sex, ape want house and fancy car, ape want be like other apes." This is heralded as something to strive for and popular..

"Normality" is not given by genetics. It is culturally defined, not innate.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
100 years ago I would have been the one person calling you out on your idiotic beliefs, the only person standing up for the queers just as i am the only person standing up for the transes, animals, and whoever else in general, while you spit in my face.
100 years ago, you'd be in a workhouse without lots of time on your hands to spout bullshit everyday.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:"Normality" is not given by genetics. It is culturally defined, not innate.
Hobbes do my sentence structures sound 1st gradish?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

David Handeye wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:"Normality" is not given by genetics. It is culturally defined, not innate.
No, but this one, could do with some punctuation:
I could say if homosexuality was to be normal then humanity had to be extinguished since a lot.
It does not make sense in it's current form.

If I take them meaning as this:
I could say, if homosexuality was to be normal, then humanity had to be extinguished, [ a long time ago]?
...then I would challenge your application of the term "normal", because you seem to be assuming that it is a context free and objective idea; it is not.

Fact is that homosexuality is now considered normal, as once it was not. This has precious little effect on the survival of humanity. Homosexuality is perfectly natural, if rare. At least rare enough for it not to have any significant affect on the propagation of the species, and is found in many species of mammal.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

David Handeye wrote:
Perhaps they do, to one who is still on the 1st grade level.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:At least rare enough for it not to have any significant affect on the propagation of the species
This is a great sentence, have to agree. Devo migliorare la forma delle mie, porca miseria.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fact is that homosexuality is now considered normal, as once it was not. This has precious little effect on the survival of humanity. Homosexuality is perfectly natural, if rare. At least rare enough for it not to have any significant affect on the propagation of the species, and is found in many species of mammal.

I think I would suggest that "normal" is not the correct word and "accepted" is more in keeping with attitudes of some people. I'm not sure how many people, outside the homosexual community, would consider it normal. I would also add that in ancient Greece, homosexuality was more accepted than in other places in the world, but then I am not as familiar with ancient history world wide. Perhaps someone knows of other areas where homosexuality was practiced and somewhat accepted.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

thedoc wrote:Perhaps they do, to one who is still on the 1st grade level.
WOW this is the best one I ever read! Sorry doc, I didn't take its sense at once :lol: dear little Trixie
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

David Handeye wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:At least rare enough for it not to have any significant affect on the propagation of the species
This is a great sentence, have to agree. Devo migliorare la forma delle mie, porca miseria.
I hope to be able to offer good grammar in English, as this is my only language.

Your "forma" is not too bad, BTW.

Is "porca miseria" some sort of expletive?