Good philosophy vs bad philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Good philosophy vs bad philosophy

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What is good philosophy and what is bad philosophy? Can you give examples of both kinds?

PhilX
tbieter

Re: Good philosophy vs bad philosophy

Post by tbieter »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:What is good philosophy and what is bad philosophy? Can you give examples of both kinds?

PhilX
Thomism and Marxism, respectively.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

tbieter wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:What is good philosophy and what is bad philosophy? Can you give examples of both kinds?

PhilX
Thomism and Marxism, respectively.
Marxism and Thomism respectively.

Thomism does not even count as philosophy.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Good philosophy is knowing that there is no one "good" philosophy. You pick out the truth from the rubbish, not blindly follow other's philosophy, but learn from all. Marxism has some truth, as well as rubbish. Keep the truth, throw out the rubbish. Never heard of Thomism but probably the same deal.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

imo a good philosophy is that one approaching to the truth. and truth in philosophy is when concept coincides with reality.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

IMO

Good philosophy is that which starts from firm foundations and proceeds by an examination of all possible logical inferences and then selects the one that is simplest, most accurate and far reaching.

The test for good philosophy is then one that meets the above criteria, poor philosophy is one that does not.
Breath

Post by Breath »

PhilX
Good philosophy is ethical in nature. It begins from a realisation that there is not actually a boundary between self and other. It is the understanding that, even if you adopt a self / other mode of expression, that whatever you do, you only do to yourself.

Bad philosophy is unethical in nature. It begins from a delusion that you occupy a privileged and separate corner in the scheme of things.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Good philosophy is boring, bad philosophy is fun.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Breath wrote:

PhilX
Good philosophy is ethical in nature. It begins from a realisation that there is not actually a boundary between self and other. It is the understanding that, even if you adopt a self / other mode of expression, that whatever you do, you only do to yourself.

Bad philosophy is unethical in nature. It begins from a delusion that you occupy a privileged and separate corner in the scheme of things.
Wow! That is so amazing!

It pretty much sums up everything in philosophy that I am opposed to.

What you are suggesting is philosophy as pure and unadulterated propaganda!
Breath

Post by Breath »

A_Seagull wrote:
Breath wrote:

PhilX

Wow! That is so amazing!

It pretty much sums up everything in philosophy that I am opposed to.

What you are suggesting is philosophy as pure and unadulterated propaganda!
I can't think for the life of me how propaganda could possibly come into what I have written. I'm hoping you'll explain that.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Breath wrote:
I can't think for the life of me how propaganda could possibly come into what I have written. I'm hoping you'll explain that.
I'll try.

First off: There IS a boundary between self and other and a very obvious one! So your foundation is a fallacy.

Secondly: The foundations of altruistic morality lie in selfishness - those who expound it are in fact being selfish.

Thirdly: The philosophy you extol has nothing to do with knowledge of the world. Its only purpose is propaganda.

If that does not explain it for you, I don't think I can help any further.
Breath

Post by Breath »

A_Seagull wrote:
Breath wrote:
I'll try.

First off: There IS a boundary between self and other and a very obvious one! So your foundation is a fallacy.

Secondly: The foundations of altruistic morality lie in selfishness - those who expound it are in fact being selfish.

Thirdly: The philosophy you extol has nothing to do with knowledge of the world. Its only purpose is propaganda.

If that does not explain it for you, I don't think I can help any further.
Thank you for coming back on this.

1] What / where is this obvious boundary between self and other?

2] I didn't think I was talking about altruism. What I said was that everything you do, you actually do to your self. Where is the altruism in that?

3] Any purported knowledge of the world, without an understanding of or neglecting your place in it, as though the world can be known independently of your place in it, would in fact be utter gibberish. I still don't see how propaganda comes into it - I'm not peddling a product or belief system to others - I just gave my answer to an OP. No need to take it further though.

Thanks again.
GreatandWiseTrixie

A_Seagull wrote:
What, a first person camera? And a damage system that get's localized physical damage?

Still npc's are part of the game world as a whole.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Good philosophy helps you to think, encourages you to make mental efforts, because you see that it´s worth it.

Bad philosophy creates confusion in your mind. It makes you despair.
GreatandWiseTrixie

duszek wrote:Good philosophy helps you to think, encourages you to make mental efforts, because you see that it´s worth it.

Bad philosophy creates confusion in your mind. It makes you despair.
Sometimes yes sometimes no. Often times people feel confusion and despair when their simple minded beliefs are challenged.