Debate about How to Solve the Major Problems of Society

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Systematic

Debate about How to Solve the Major Problems of Society

Post by Systematic »

I have realized that my thinking method may in fact be inferior to debate. So I have devised a control experiment. In this topic/thread I would like to see a debate about how to solve the root causes of the major problems of society. Then we can judge whether debate or my proposed thinking method was more effective.
HexHammer

Re: Debate about How to Solve the Major Problems of Society

Post by HexHammer »

Sounds more like you want attention than solution.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

of course, the first major problem of society we will resolve to solve is the unending appearance of questions about how to solve the problems of society...

-Imp
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

Impenitent wrote:of course, the first major problem of society we will resolve to solve is the unending appearance of questions about how to solve the problems of society...

-Imp
Thanks for giving me something relevant to debate.

No, seeking solutions is not a worthless endeavor. However, jumping to conclusions about what the solutions are and then endlessly debating your solutions is what is futile. And if you are so concerned that people might continuously ask questions about how to solve the problems of society, then why don't you actually figure out viable solutions so that there will be no need to ask.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Impenitent post_id=188961 time=1423173739 user_id=3944]
of course, the first major problem of society we will resolve to solve is the unending appearance of questions about how to solve the problems of society...

-Imp
[/quote]

That's accomplished first by getting people to admit solutions are possible.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Systematic wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 pm I have realized that my thinking method may in fact be inferior to debate. So I have devised a control experiment. In this topic/thread I would like to see a debate about how to solve the root causes of the major problems of society. Then we can judge whether debate or my proposed thinking method was more effective.
There are no problems of society. There are only individual problems, and the solution to individual problems is the responsibility of the individual who has them. The only problem to individuals within a society is the meddling of those who interfere in others lives trying to solve imaginary social problems.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=472935 time=1600890716 user_id=16196]
[quote=Systematic post_id=188953 time=1423169001 user_id=10693]
I have realized that my thinking method may in fact be inferior to debate. So I have devised a control experiment. In this topic/thread I would like to see a debate about how to solve the root causes of the major problems of society. Then we can judge whether debate or my proposed thinking method was more effective.
[/quote]
There are no problems of society. There are only individual problems, and the solution to individual problems is the responsibility of the individual who has them. The only problem to individuals within a society is the meddling of those who interfere in others lives trying to solve imaginary social problems.
[/quote]

Bunk. Suicide is a social problem. All problems between people who don't have a pre-established relationship are social problems.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 pm
Systematic wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 pm I have realized that my thinking method may in fact be inferior to debate. So I have devised a control experiment. In this topic/thread I would like to see a debate about how to solve the root causes of the major problems of society. Then we can judge whether debate or my proposed thinking method was more effective.
I find most often, that those who meddle the most, keep their motives hidden. Hence, who knows whether they be social justice warriors?
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

The problem is human behaviour. This arises from a problem with human beliefs, which is that they all believe different things. This problem may be traced back to the philosophy department. So I would suggest the first step towards a solution is to insist that professional philosophers to do their job.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Systematic wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 am
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 pm
I find most often, that those who meddle the most, keep their motives hidden. Hence, who knows whether they be social justice warriors?
Of course you cannot judge any individual's motives, because you cannot know them. I'm talking about what every politician, welfare worker, do-gooder, and social justice warrior quite loudly and annoyingly claims as their compassionate, caring, sympathetic, empathetic virtue to excuse their meddling in others' lives.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:42 pm Of course you cannot judge any individual's motives, because you cannot know them. I'm talking about what every politician, welfare worker, do-gooder, and social justice warrior quite loudly and annoyingly claims as their compassionate, caring, sympathetic, empathetic virtue to excuse their meddling in others' lives.
I would make this ruling, if anyone would listen to me:

1st: You are only allowed to interfere in others lives to correct ethical errors that they cannot reasonably fix for themselves.

2nd: And the errors must be based on utilitarian ethics (neither selfish nor selfless).

3rd: And the errors must not be fixed to the devastation of the entirety or a majority of society (e.g. Marxism causes inflation for the whole of the nation.)

Right now, I would agree that the left is in violation of at least the first and the second.