Why are people scared of philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by thedoc »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Melchior wrote: I have a degree in philosophy from a major US university. I have nothing but contempt for the majority of American academic philosophers today and seldom if ever speak to them. They are almost invariably left-leaning cowards who twist and distort the truth to fit their preconceived notions. They also tend to spout off on things in which they have no expertise. They know all the fallacies, and deliberately use them on unsuspecting students and others who are unable to recognize them. That is why I find them disgusting. They don't like it when you call them on this, either. Most people know instinctively when they are being deceived, even if they don't quite know how to respond.
I certainly hope I'm not on your s**t list, because I don't have a degree in philosophy, which made my explaining some of the concepts to a potential philosophy major, very ironic. Due to my major in college I was only able to take Philosophy 101 and had no room on my schedule for other electives, I didn't even have room for a minor. I wasn't impressed with some of the philosophy professors either, but the regular professor was OK, it was the substitute that I was less than impressed with.
Why do you seek the approval of a stranger on the internet? Truly the feminization of men indeed. Though I have to agree with Melchoir's angry rant, most of the academic culture disgusts me as well.
Ah Satyr, you've finally gone over, good for you.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

thedoc wrote: Ah Satyr, you've finally gone over, good for you.
Is that some old forum member? It's a fairly common forum name. It's not me. Unless you are making an obtuse greek mythology reference. This is the second time you've mistaken me for another forum member. The old folks home is that a-way <----- .

If you are wondering, the size of the arrow sign is scaled to the exact size of thedoc's.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
thedoc wrote: Ah Satyr, you've finally gone over, good for you.
Is that some old forum member? It's a fairly common forum name. It's not me. Unless you are making an obtuse greek mythology reference. This is the second time you've mistaken me for another forum member. The old folks home is that a-way <----- .

If you are wondering, the size of the arrow sign is scaled to the exact size of thedoc's.

That should give you a clue, you're not special at all, you're just like a lot of other forum members that have come before you. You're act is old news, give it up and try something new, like actually having something new to offer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: <----- .

So size matters to you. Well I'm sure you can find something to suit you, and I'll let you guess the color.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

thedoc wrote:That should give you a clue, you're not special at all, you're just like a lot of other forum members that have come before you. You're act is old news, give it up and try something new, like actually having something new to offer.
My good and dearest doc, maybe you too should try something new, shut up and fuck off!

The quality of the forum can only improve with your absence.
GreatandWiseTrixie

HexHammer wrote:
thedoc wrote:That should give you a clue, you're not special at all, you're just like a lot of other forum members that have come before you. You're act is old news, give it up and try something new, like actually having something new to offer.
My good and dearest doc, maybe you too should try something new, shut up and fuck off!

The quality of the forum can only improve with your absence.
I have to agree. Though I originally had my disputes with Hex, he is beginning to find good favor with me again, and his awareness about the status of the forums, increases my confidence in him to see things as they truly are.

My notes to the doc are, which particular forum members do you refer to? It would be interesting to see if I have any clones, in spirit, though my confidence in your ability to relay the truth is divided by your old age...

As far as your size, you seem to care about yours a lot...Funny stuff, seeing you rapidly double post in a hurry. It almost feels bad to see how easily I can hurt you.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

Melchior wrote: I have a degree in philosophy from a major US university. I have nothing but contempt for the majority of American academic philosophers today and seldom if ever speak to them. They are almost invariably left-leaning cowards who twist and distort the truth to fit their preconceived notions. They also tend to spout off on things in which they have no expertise. They know all the fallacies, and deliberately use them on unsuspecting students and others who are unable to recognize them. That is why I find them disgusting. They don't like it when you call them on this, either. Most people know instinctively when they are being deceived, even if they don't quite know how to respond.
I was beginning to think the same thing myself. I am curious as to how you have survived learning from such people without becoming one yourself.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

thedoc wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: <----- .

So size matters to you. Well I'm sure you can find something to suit you, and I'll let you guess the color.
Oooo, he doesn't deny it. And just so you know, there are plenty of white men who are large. I asked around.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

thedoc wrote:
I certainly hope I'm not on your s**t list, because I don't have a degree in philosophy, which made my explaining some of the concepts to a potential philosophy major, very ironic. Due to my major in college I was only able to take Philosophy 101 and had no room on my schedule for other electives, I didn't even have room for a minor. I wasn't impressed with some of the philosophy professors either, but the regular professor was OK, it was the substitute that I was less than impressed with.
How very vague.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

HexHammer wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:It really doesn't matter, hex, as a job doesn't define anyone, it's just the crap they have to endure, in working for the weekend, because, "everybody's workin' for the weekend." ;) Life is what happens after the fucking job. Unless of course one actually loves their job. I haven't loved one of mine! I've gone to work, so I can afford to get away from work! ;)

If you're one of those lucky people, that has a job they can actually say in truth, they love, well good for you. Like I said, "you're one of the lucky ones!"
Yearh, I thought so you don't have any or your job really suck.

Jobs usually defines ones intellect,
Wrong!!! Ones intellect, "MAY" define ones job. As usual, you have the cart before the horse.

the higher job the more intelligent, this does indeed reflect your total lack of understanding the concept of relevance, since you can't differ from crap to usefulness.
In your own elementary mind, I'm sure, or so you claim!

When you can't see that Trixie just pour out nonsense and babble, then you are hapless retard.
Then you put words in my mouth, try again son! ;)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:in spirit, though my confidence in your ability to relay the truth is divided by your old age...
Yeye, 1 factor you forget in this discussion we're had, is that higher jobs must have the ability to arrive to truths, else a business would go bankrupt rather quickly, if they lie in a million dollar contract, they would get lawsuits on the asses, so they must be honest. There are laws they must follow and not lie to their customers to a certain degree.

Big businesses are not as bad as you might think.
GreatandWiseTrixie

HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:in spirit, though my confidence in your ability to relay the truth is divided by your old age...
Yeye, 1 factor you forget in this discussion we're had, is that higher jobs must have the ability to arrive to truths, else a business would go bankrupt rather quickly, if they lie in a million dollar contract, they would get lawsuits on the asses, so they must be honest. There are laws they must follow and not lie to their customers to a certain degree.

Big businesses are not as bad as you might think.
Rothschild propoganda, I say. Don't listen to him.

Money is power, and what do they do with it? Squander it on yachts, that's what. Then when you complain about it they provide free crumbs to the poor, poisoned of course with various chemicals most of you probably don't even know the names of.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

thedoc wrote:
I know nothing about you, sir.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Systematic wrote:
thedoc wrote:
How very vague.
Yes, without details it tends to be vague.

FYI my major was Industrial Arts, hence the Irony.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Melchior wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I know nothing about you, sir.
Well the "sir" is unnecessary, I haven't been a sir for many years, since I stopped teaching. I said a little about myself here, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9571 in the introduction thread. Anything else, just ask, I have little to hide.