Why are people scared of philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lev Muishkin

Re: Re:

Post by Lev Muishkin »

thedoc wrote:
Melchior wrote:
And well-deserved, I might add. Most philosophers are totally lacking in charisma.
And as friend of mine once observed, "Common sense, isn't", especially among philosophers.
To a philosopher "common sense", is far from straight forward. Such a concept has to be filtered through Locke, Hume and Kant, to make any "sense".
SpheresOfBalance

Re:

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

henry quirk wrote:"Why are people scared of philosophy?"

I think most folks just don't give a shit.

Rightfully or wrongfully, it seems most folks view philosophizing as being about as useful a dickering over the number of angels who can squat on a pinhead, and, philosophers are viewed -- rightfully or wrongly -- as being Ivory Tower inhabitants, far removed from the day to day.

Ain't fear, it's indifference.
It is fear! At it's roots it's fear. If they question everything then they have to question themselves, their lives, their beliefs, etc, and when they find that the structure that they believed was there, is not really there, that it was just a figment of their imagined world, they feel lost, unsafe, vulnerable. This of course assumes that they are capable of going there in the first place. Some, HQ, are just not capable of admitting things to themselves. They are stuck in their fantasy, because of their fear of their believed structure dissolving, because on some level they know that is what shall happen. So they make up other reasons to ignore that which shall finally expose them to themselves. Like they might say, 'It's just the rational thing to do,' instead of, 'I fear doing otherwise.' I hate to be the one to tell you this, but humans lie to themselves on a daily basis to maintain their facade of belief about themselves, and their lives. And the more they lie to themselves, the more insane they become, until one day they break.

To truly know thyself, and admit it openly, is the road to freedom and sanity.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Rightfully or wrongfully, it seems most folks view philosophizing as being about as useful a dickering over the number of angels who can squat on a pinhead, and, philosophers are viewed -- rightfully or wrongly -- as being Ivory Tower inhabitants, far removed from the day to day.

It is fear! At it's roots it's fear. .
I think you mean; "At its roots it's fear".
SpheresOfBalance

Lev Muishkin wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Really? Now you see, I see those two as the same thing. To me, if the lowest common denominator is fear, as in this case, one can leave off "root," it's not needed. Which is probably why I get in so much hot water here. I'll be honest with you, one of my problems is knowing what others know and don't know, I've actually been berated for both supplying too much and too little information. You can't please everyone, right?
hazlett

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by hazlett »

Right! But when you let fear dominate you then you are halting yourself to explore your knowledge and other things to discover.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

Spot on.
SpheresOfBalance

hazlett wrote:Right! But when you let fear dominate you then you are halting yourself to explore your knowledge and other things to discover.
Fear dominates everyone, they just fear acknowledging it. I don't think it's currently possible for you and many to understand how much fear in ingrained in human existence/experience. It actually defines the current human condition.

But yours are mighty words, used quite often, by multitudes, to try and side step fears grip, if only in ones conscious mind.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:

Spot on.
That your "belief" system's agree, or you're being supportive for it's sake alone, there is no doubt in my mind! ;)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:That your "belief" system's agree, or you're being supportive for it's sake alone, there is no doubt in my mind! ;)
What're you babbling about now?

Ever talked to 'real' people? You'll find that indifference and not fear is the reality of their view of Philosophy.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:That your "belief" system's agree, or you're being supportive for it's sake alone, there is no doubt in my mind! ;)
What're you babbling about now?

Ever talked to 'real' people? You'll find that indifference and not fear is the reality of their view of Philosophy.
It's obvious that you don't have a clue as to what I'm referring. That's your right! So in your ignorance I expect ridicule as it's all you've shown you're able to muster, under such circumstances.

In talking, people do all kinds of sidestepping so as to appear, brave, competent, normal, (whatever that is), to be what is expected, what they were programmed to do. But what's on the inside, the truth, is a whole different ballgame. A game indeed! Which is why some people snap!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Some people are afraid of everything and thus see fear in everyone else, even when there is no fear present. Indifference and dislike are not fear.
SpheresOfBalance

thedoc wrote:Some people are afraid of everything and thus see fear in everyone else, even when there is no fear present. Indifference and dislike are not fear.
Most people, especially men, fear to admit they fear, because they believe it makes them appear weak.

Say it again, how strong are you? Scare away would be predators. Beat your chest a little louder. ;)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Spot on"

Yep.

#

"Some people are afraid of everything and thus see fear in everyone else, even when there is no fear present. Indifference and dislike are not fear."

Yep.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Really? Now you see, I see those two as the same thing.
Duh no. "At it's roots it's fear" is just ungrammatical.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

I fear nothing. What's the worse that could happen? You could die. Death is just a cessation; peace. I've faced that off and know I can deal with it.