Why are people scared of philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

HexHammer wrote:
Rachelc93 wrote:Often when I tell people that I study philosophy, the conversation tends to shut down. I am beginning to wonder whether this common response is out of a general disinterest in the subject, or a fear of the unknown.

I have found that increasingly (with my generation especially) people do not invest time into developing their ideas; instead they opt for the easy option of being fed information through modern technology, which means they are never really alone with thoughts. I recognise that this is not the case for everybody, but a large majority of people whom I have encountered have no interest in discussing philosophical matters.

I personally believe that philosophy is relevant to everyone, given the diversity of topics it encompasses which is why I find it so difficult to understand how anyone would want to avoid the topic. Has anyone had any similar experiences or thoughts as to why this might be the case?
Tell me please where philosophy is actually proven relevant in every day life? Why doesn't multi billion dollar companies hire philosophers, now that philosophers allegedly are good at thinking? The industry spends billions in research and market analysis.

So why are there so little demand for philosophers?
Because philosophers tend to have certain moral and ethical standing, and are not so easily persuaded by greasy and sleezy hands. Thus, they present a problem to the corporation, institution, establishment, and ruling class.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by thedoc »

Systematic wrote: I thought that she might just be a fool who thinks that she is wise so I confronted her:
Systematic wrote: I hope that what you are saying is true, because if not, your arrogance is going to leave you without a chance to learn.
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:If you want true arrogance, you need a moderator for that. I do not try to hush and stomp out things I do not wish to comprehend. If I do not wish to comprehend them, I take a sip of tea. Then, I come back later, when I have more energy, and try to get the jist of them and see if it worthy of my time and energy.

So you were correct.
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
HexHammer wrote:So why are there so little demand for philosophers?
Because philosophers tend to have certain moral and ethical standing, and are not so easily persuaded by greasy and sleezy hands. Thus, they present a problem to the corporation, institution, establishment, and ruling class.
Could you provide something a bit more substantial?
Systematic
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by Systematic »

thedoc wrote:
Systematic wrote: I thought that she might just be a fool who thinks that she is wise so I confronted her:
Systematic wrote: I hope that what you are saying is true, because if not, your arrogance is going to leave you without a chance to learn.
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:If you want true arrogance, you need a moderator for that. I do not try to hush and stomp out things I do not wish to comprehend. If I do not wish to comprehend them, I take a sip of tea. Then, I come back later, when I have more energy, and try to get the jist of them and see if it worthy of my time and energy.

So you were correct.
According to the youtube video that she suggested that I watch, everyone has the inclination to submit—to follow. Leaders only lead because they want to live vicariously through their servants. S&M is a pure form of sex in the sense that drugs have a pure form. I took offense to that last part, because I like to submit to women in that arena. I kinda poked fun at it, saying that she was making me feel guilty and that I needed to be punished. I also admitted that I always wanted to be the best and most powerful, and that people who seem to want to follow are really just thinking that they are in power.

Sometimes when people want to promote one extreme, they put down the other. So she may be extremely power hungry.

Or maybe she is wiser than us, and we just don't understand that for whatever reason.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Systematic wrote: According to the youtube video that she suggested that I watch, everyone has the inclination to submit—to follow. Leaders only lead because they want to live vicariously through their servants. S&M is a pure form of sex in the sense that drugs have a pure form. I took offense to that last part, because I like to submit to women in that arena. I kinda poked fun at it, saying that she was making me feel guilty and that I needed to be punished. I also admitted that I always wanted to be the best and most powerful, and that people who seem to want to follow are really just thinking that they are in power.

Sometimes when people want to promote one extreme, they put down the other. So she may be extremely power hungry.

Or maybe she is wiser than us, and we just don't understand that for whatever reason.
Power is not what I hunger after, and you still have much to learn. If I hunger for power, it would only be for a greater good, that is, I do not lust for power for power's sake. Your concept of what are "men" and what are "women" is also far too narrow, it stems for a desire to create fault and conflict with what you perceive as pain to your ego, due to your lack of understanding on the matter. Why do you assume that such a word so narrow a definition? Why do you assume it is an affront to your own self, why do you take offense to it? Because you desire the feeling. Thus, you say "I took offense to it."
thedoc wrote: So you were correct.
Herd mentality, doctor. Do you still hold the deluded belief that I am that Janis friend of yours, so you feel the need to persecute me in folly? This is not a middle school, nor a gang of Pharisees, so stop perpetuating the illusion that it is. Would you rather have me devote my life to reading every single trivial bit of long-winded, tedious, poorly written and nutrient deficient piece of information embedded on the World Wide Web, each piece from beginning to end, fully, thoroughly, and in it's entirety? Not even in a thousand years.
HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
HexHammer wrote:So why are there so little demand for philosophers?
Because philosophers tend to have certain moral and ethical standing, and are not so easily persuaded by greasy and sleezy hands. Thus, they present a problem to the corporation, institution, establishment, and ruling class.
Could you provide something a bit more substantial?

Substantial about what? It's only a generalization, I would assume there are a few philosophers, here and there, who are more than willing to bend to the whims of the masses, and established order, and sacrifice their beliefs for the "almighty" dollar.
Systematic
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by Systematic »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Systematic wrote: According to the youtube video that she suggested that I watch, everyone has the inclination to submit—to follow. Leaders only lead because they want to live vicariously through their servants. S&M is a pure form of sex in the sense that drugs have a pure form. I took offense to that last part, because I like to submit to women in that arena. I kinda poked fun at it, saying that she was making me feel guilty and that I needed to be punished. I also admitted that I always wanted to be the best and most powerful, and that people who seem to want to follow are really just thinking that they are in power.

Sometimes when people want to promote one extreme, they put down the other. So she may be extremely power hungry.

Or maybe she is wiser than us, and we just don't understand that for whatever reason.
Power is not what I hunger after, and you still have much to learn. If I hunger for power, it would only be for a greater good, that is, I do not lust for power for power's sake. Your concept of what are "men" and what are "women" is also far too narrow, it stems for a desire to create fault and conflict with what you perceive as pain to your ego, due to your lack of understanding on the matter. Why do you assume that such a word so narrow a definition? Why do you assume it is an affront to your own self, why do you take offense to it? Because you desire the feeling. Thus, you say "I took offense to it."
No, I love the feeling of being dominated by a woman. If anything I am sexist against men. But why be so deceptive? Just politely let us know that you want something. Say things like: "You are underestimating me." Or: "You didn't even consider what I said." Or: "I'm sorry that I didn't understand what you were saying to me, but I would like to. Would you please clarify?" Or: "Would you please treat me with respect?" And if they refuse to listen for no reason, just keep asking politely.
Systematic
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by Systematic »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Systematic wrote: According to the youtube video that she suggested that I watch, everyone has the inclination to submit—to follow. Leaders only lead because they want to live vicariously through their servants. S&M is a pure form of sex in the sense that drugs have a pure form. I took offense to that last part, because I like to submit to women in that arena. I kinda poked fun at it, saying that she was making me feel guilty and that I needed to be punished. I also admitted that I always wanted to be the best and most powerful, and that people who seem to want to follow are really just thinking that they are in power.

Sometimes when people want to promote one extreme, they put down the other. So she may be extremely power hungry.

Or maybe she is wiser than us, and we just don't understand that for whatever reason.
Power is not what I hunger after, and you still have much to learn. If I hunger for power, it would only be for a greater good, that is, I do not lust for power for power's sake. Your concept of what are "men" and what are "women" is also far too narrow, it stems for a desire to create fault and conflict with what you perceive as pain to your ego, due to your lack of understanding on the matter. Why do you assume that such a word so narrow a definition? Why do you assume it is an affront to your own self, why do you take offense to it? Because you desire the feeling. Thus, you say "I took offense to it."
No, I love the feeling of being dominated by a woman. If anything I am sexist against men. But why be so deceptive? Just politely let us know that you want something. Say things like: "You are underestimating me." Or: "You didn't even consider what I said." Or: "I'm sorry that I didn't understand what you were saying to me, but I would like to. Would you please clarify?" Or: "Would you please treat me with respect?" And if they refuse to listen for no reason, just keep asking politely.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
thedoc wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Actually some people are scared, it's because they play a game with themselves, called "make-believe."
Why don't you tell us more about yourself?
Someone is an eager beaver.
Systematic wrote:carl sagan
Yeah, get your lols, you are going to continue to be laughing till the dawn of time from that statement. I meant Christopher Langan, not Carl Sagan, but laugh it up fuzzball. I guess people have nothing better to do with their time than analyze the wise to see if they have any slight imperfections. No different than TMZ, or a typical supermarket tabloid, really.
Systematic wrote:Maybe it's because philosophers are so cryptic in their speech, using words like esoteric. And we never act on any of our thoughts. We just keep writing in our cryptic speech hoping that the world will learn. I apologize to any of you who put things into practice and speak so others can understand you. It's just an hypothesis.
They use words like esoteric because it's basic everyday language for adults and if someone doesn't know a word, they can google it. This isn't hoodrat speak. The use of complex words should be kept a minimum, many just use them to satisfy their egos. However "esoteric" saves time and space, saying "That joke was esoteric" is better than "That joke was so stupid only someone who knew the original obscure reference you were talking about would get it."
GreatandWiseTrixie, I subscribe to this notion: "...And if I claim to be a wise man, well It surely means that I don't know..."

Because wisdom is the leveling process of 'all' things human, if humility is not included, wisdom cannot exist. Or as Socrates said, 'I only know that I know nothing.'

As soon as one says they are the wisest, they place themselves at the bottom, as surely they can't possibly know everyone! ;) (Seven billion strong and counting!)
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Substantial about what? It's only a generalization, I would assume there are a few philosophers, here and there, who are more than willing to bend to the whims of the masses, and established order, and sacrifice their beliefs for the "almighty" dollar.
This "generalization" is pulled straight out of your ass!
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Substantial about what? It's only a generalization, I would assume there are a few philosophers, here and there, who are more than willing to bend to the whims of the masses, and established order, and sacrifice their beliefs for the "almighty" dollar.
This "generalization" is pulled straight out of your ass!
Come on Hex, I know English is a second language for you, and I commend you for it, crap I only know one language, and I suck at it, but you can do it. Use your words to show Trixie, why it is that her generalization is a falsehood. Don't just say that it is, explain why it is.
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by HexHammer »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Substantial about what? It's only a generalization, I would assume there are a few philosophers, here and there, who are more than willing to bend to the whims of the masses, and established order, and sacrifice their beliefs for the "almighty" dollar.
This "generalization" is pulled straight out of your ass!
Come on Hex, I know English is a second language for you, and I commend you for it, crap I only know one language, and I suck at it, but you can do it. Use your words to show Trixie, why it is that her generalization is a falsehood. Don't just say that it is, explain why it is.
LOL? If this was a business you wouldn't waste time explaining such self-explanatory thing to her, you just fire her as she wouldn't be worth having around.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

HexHammer wrote:
Rachelc93 wrote:Often when I tell people that I study philosophy, the conversation tends to shut down. I am beginning to wonder whether this common response is out of a general disinterest in the subject, or a fear of the unknown.

I have found that increasingly (with my generation especially) people do not invest time into developing their ideas; instead they opt for the easy option of being fed information through modern technology, which means they are never really alone with thoughts. I recognise that this is not the case for everybody, but a large majority of people whom I have encountered have no interest in discussing philosophical matters.

I personally believe that philosophy is relevant to everyone, given the diversity of topics it encompasses which is why I find it so difficult to understand how anyone would want to avoid the topic. Has anyone had any similar experiences or thoughts as to why this might be the case?
Tell me please where philosophy is actually proven relevant in every day life? Why doesn't multi billion dollar companies hire philosophers, now that philosophers allegedly are good at thinking? The industry spends billions in research and market analysis.

So why are there so little demand for philosophers?
God Hex, when are you gonna stop with this incorrect assumption, that all life on planet earth is measured by money, by capitalism. You just drone the same incorrect assumption on an on an on. I hate to burst your bubble, but as to life on planet earth those types are at the bottom of the heap, the most ignorant, than anyone else. Those fuckers are clueless, blinded by the glitter, like a deer in headlights. They're just throwbacks to an age where man was more ape like. An unthinking drone, easily dazzled by lightening and fire, and shiny rocks! The only thing they are capable of contemplating is their fear of non survival, but to some very blinded, and twisted degree, an incessant, insatiable fear that drives them far overboard, well beyond their actual needs, their wants and desires, ever shining on like some crazy diamond. They just don't get it, they never do, and then they die and rot like everything else! A waste, when they could have been benevolent gods!
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Substantial about what? It's only a generalization, I would assume there are a few philosophers, here and there, who are more than willing to bend to the whims of the masses, and established order, and sacrifice their beliefs for the "almighty" dollar.
HexHammer wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
HexHammer wrote:This "generalization" is pulled straight out of your ass!
Come on Hex, I know English is a second language for you, and I commend you for it, crap I only know one language, and I suck at it, but you can do it. Use your words to show Trixie, why it is that her generalization is a falsehood. Don't just say that it is, explain why it is.
LOL? If this was a business you wouldn't waste time explaining such self-explanatory thing to her, you just fire her as she wouldn't be worth having around.
But it's not hex, it's not a business. It's a philosophy forum my friend, get a grip. And a philosophy forum is for teaching as well as learning. Is that what your teachers growing up said, "You screwed up in class, so you're fired, get out?" Really? When you explain your side of understanding, you have a chance to shine, or maybe not. But you have to take the good with the bad, right? At least try and help someone see your side of understanding, in some way shape or form. Otherwise you're just beating them with your hammer, and they'll never know why it is that they're getting beaten. Come on you got to try and help them understand your understanding. I mean, how did you come to understand it?
Systematic
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by Systematic »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:GreatandWiseTrixie, I subscribe to this notion: "...And if I claim to be a wise man, well It surely means that I don't know..."

Because wisdom is the leveling process of 'all' things human, if humility is not included, wisdom cannot exist. Or as Socrates said, 'I only know that I know nothing.'

As soon as one says they are the wisest, they place themselves at the bottom, as surely they can't possibly know everyone! ;) (Seven billion strong and counting!)
He "knows" this out of his intense thinking not because he just read it somewhere. I'll do even better. Two winks: :wink: :wink:
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Why are people scared of philosophy?

Post by HexHammer »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:God Hex, when are you gonna stop with this incorrect assumption, that all life on planet earth is measured by money, by capitalism. You just drone the same incorrect assumption on an on an on. I hate to burst your bubble, but as to life on planet earth those types are at the bottom of the heap, the most ignorant, than anyone else. Those fuckers are clueless, blinded by the glitter, like a deer in headlights. They're just throwbacks to an age where man was more ape like. An unthinking drone, easily dazzled by lightening and fire, and shiny rocks! The only thing they are capable of contemplating is their fear of non survival, but to some very blinded, and twisted degree, an incessant, insatiable fear that drives them far overboard, well beyond their actual needs, their wants and desires, ever shining on like some crazy diamond. They just don't get it, they never do, and then they die and rot like everything else! A waste, when they could have been benevolent gods!
So it's measured by your cozy chat that leads to nowhere?!
Do you know why there are admission to universities? ..to sort out the idiots, the retards and the fools. Because it's not worth educating them.
Post Reply