Your comment is awaiting moderation.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

Post by Pluto »

“These mental midgets—their worldviews shaped by the CIA culture ministry with its endorsed pro-war entertainment, violent video games, and gung-ho shoot ‘em ups—are hopelessly brain-curdled, irretrievably lost.”

It is those who oppose the system who are lost as they cannot find a place in it, whereas the former fit perfectly, by design.

Great article but what else can they do but lie?

- See more at: http://www.intrepidreport.com/archives/ ... ent-142248
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

....every story is a lie...no matter who tells it.

WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

I've already had a critical feeling that the whole 'North Korea hacking Sony' was a great lie, all meant to scare people into possibly wanting retaliation. The most baffling part is, it's all over a movie! And it's not like the NK government has ever really reacted that way when there were prior movies and documentaries defaming them.

That being said, the article was too biased. If only there were articles that were critical of this system that aren't always so sensational.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

A proper conspiracy I agree wandering lands, it never happened, it was all propaganda and bullshit. The best way to get someone to see something is to claim it is being threatened to be "taken down" by the "enemy". I wouldn't be surprised if it was a genuine conspiracy by the CIA, to have a pop at North Korea, it's all just so hokey the whole situation. Not that North Korea is a shining beacon of light, but I really doubt as you say, they give a damn about comedy movies, if they did they would of launched nukes at America: World Police and it's mockery of ronery NK.

As I've said before there are conspiracies everywhere and some are dumb, genuinely retarded, but the most logically considered ones are often apt. This I think is utter drivel of the basest kind, and it's only surprising that anyone actually bought it.

Politics is so full of shit these days, it makes you wonder why we bother. If we just left everyone to get on with it, wouldn't it work out better? Who the hell knows, it has never happened.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

That being said, the article was too biased. If only there were articles that were critical of this system that aren't always so sensational.
Yeah I know what you mean, though how it has been reported in the mainstream is biased too. Journalistic language, seen in the mainstream, is designed to conceal, not inform in any way. The mainstream is a tool of power. So the little guy, with a tiny communication platform, attempts to be heard through emotive language. He wants to wake people up from the mainstream cocoon they are in but struggles and so is angry. Whereas your writer at mainstream is well-paid and secure, calm, yet scared of putting a word or tone out of place.

The way info is communicated is very important isn't it?
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Pluto wrote:
Yeah I know what you mean, though how it has been reported in the mainstream is biased too. Journalistic language, seen in the mainstream, is designed to conceal, not inform in any way. The mainstream is a tool of power. So the little guy, with a tiny communication platform, attempts to be heard through emotive language. He wants to wake people up from the mainstream cocoon they are in but struggles and so is angry. Whereas your writer at mainstream is well-paid and secure, calm, yet scared of putting a word or tone out of place.

The way info is communicated is very important isn't it?
I do not understand why you would pick up only my last sentence, instead of reading the last paragraph above it. I know that it sucks for an alternative journalist to not have as great influence as the media, but I think that the truth can be communicated at least in a more calmer way, at least from my point of view of course. I see so many articles that tend to blow things out of proportion instead of just letting the facts speak; it's even a fear-tactic used by people like Alex Jones as a mode of advertising.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I've already had a critical feeling that the whole 'North Korea hacking Sony' was a great lie, all meant to scare people into possibly wanting retaliation. The most baffling part is, it's all over a movie! And it's not like the NK government has ever really reacted that way when there were prior movies and documentaries defaming them.

I do not understand why you would pick up only my last sentence, instead of reading the last paragraph above it. I know that it sucks for an alternative journalist to not have as great influence as the media, but I think that the truth can be communicated at least in a more calmer way, at least from my point of view of course. I see so many articles that tend to blow things out of proportion instead of just letting the facts speak; it's even a fear-tactic used by people like Alex Jones as a mode of advertising.
Okay, but movies are powerful means of communication, it's never just a movie. What other films defame NK? And are they centred on the assassination of a political leader? A film about killing someone who is still alive is very weird, and new. Especially when the US president calls it just a satire. What I thought more interesting about what you said is the way to communicate critique against the system itself. Alex Jones is cartoon-like and most people would hear 5 minutes and turn off. So I think it interesting how one can position the communication of critique. Noam Chomsky believes in stating the facts and then people will see and understand, but this is not always so. Slavoj Zizek would disagree with this approach and he himself is an interesting example of how to communicate critique. I think the situation we are in calls for language which does not just sit back calmly but which can leap off the page. I like the French philosopher Delueze's use of language where it is at times a form of poetry, just to by-pass the static consumption of info and turn it into a more creative two-way process.

Also the communication by The Invisible Committee is interesting.
http://tarnac9.noblogs.org/gallery/5188 ... nglish.pdf

But getting back, is it possible, and maybe it is, to rewrite the piece I posted very matter of factly, without sensation, yet for it to keep some kind of vitality and power surging behind it. You say yes, can you show an example of some kind?
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Pluto wrote: Okay, but movies are powerful means of communication, it's never just a movie. What other films defame NK? And are they centred on the assassination of a political leader? A film about killing someone who is still alive is very weird, and new. Especially when the US president calls it just a satire.
I honestly don't remember an assassination film about NK prior to The Interview, but I do recall the 2012 film Red Dawn which portrays North Korea in a negative light.
Pluto wrote: What I thought more interesting about what you said is the way to communicate critique against the system itself. So I think it interesting how one can position the communication of critique. Noam Chomsky believes in stating the facts and then people will see and understand, but this is not always so. Slavoj Zizek would disagree with this approach and he himself is an interesting example of how to communicate critique. I think the situation we are in calls for language which does not just sit back calmly but which can leap off the page. I like the French philosopher Delueze's use of language where it is at times a form of poetry, just to by-pass the static consumption of info and turn it into a more creative two-way process.

Also the communication by The Invisible Committee is interesting.
http://tarnac9.noblogs.org/gallery/5188 ... nglish.pdf

But getting back, is it possible, and maybe it is, to rewrite the piece I posted very matter of factly, without sensation, yet for it to keep some kind of vitality and power surging behind it. You say yes, can you show an example of some kind?
For me, an example would be that of philosophical works and texts. I guess my preference would be like that of a book entitled Fire In the Minds of Men by James H. Billington, which is about the history of the 'revolutionary' ideology and ties into the politics of right and left. Another example would be like that of Rob Ager, who does articles on politics in a non-biased way (view here).

Of course, I'm sure that most people, even including I myself, would want a bit of 'poetry' (as you mention Deleuze) to keep things interesting. My main critique, though, is mainly how most political articles go to much to the top in influencing opinion; even using vulgarities and using labels against the 'other' which overshadows the facts - it's true both in mainstream and in the alternative news circles, where it's used to influence people and become more dogmatic in their thinking, rather than actually let the facts flow to think for themselves.

Another thing: learning about logical fallacies and checking the claims of articles through research are helpful in filtering out sensationalism, and even making a non-biased writing on politics as well.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Go! Team America!!
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

America is you too, no?

The reach and power of force of the US, especially living in the UK, has made itself felt on your person. Great if we can think another way and see another way, but the political and media class throughout Europe are following that vision which comes out of the US. This in turn has an effect on the people of those nations. Americanisation of the world is real, what happens there happens here, especially in politics and in entertainment. Such is the power and reach of a superpower. Tell me something different. When we critique the US we critique the system at its core, which covers the western world, no?

The US presently is a world government in waiting. I think Obama the only (recent) politician to mention the word 'earth' in a presidential speech.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I honestly don't remember an assassination film about NK prior to The Interview, but I do recall the 2012 film Red Dawn which portrays North Korea in a negative light.
Okay yes, negative light, in a way, is expected from the superpower. Entertainment is political. There was recently a short story written about the assassination of the British prime minister Margaret Thatcher. Though she had already passed away before it was written, or at least before it was published.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/s ... t-thatcher

There was outcry from various quarters, the Telegraph newspaper calling for the writer's arrest. So what to say of someone still living.

Thanks for the link, he seems a good writer, not sensational at all. But as I hit upon his page it seemed too heavy and boring. This is what you are up against.

I don't understand this sentence below can you break it down a bit:
Another thing: learning about logical fallacies and checking the claims of articles through research are helpful in filtering out sensationalism, and even making a non-biased writing on politics as well.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Pluto wrote:America is you too, no?

The reach and power of force of the US, especially living in the UK, has made itself felt on your person. Great if we can think another way and see another way, but the political and media class throughout Europe are following that vision which comes out of the US. This in turn has an effect on the people of those nations. Americanisation of the world is real, what happens there happens here, especially in politics and in entertainment. Such is the power and reach of a superpower. Tell me something different. When we critique the US we critique the system at its core, which covers the western world, no?
I think Bush effectively wiped Americas political clout off the map, I think the repercussions of his idiot terms of politcal clowning will be felt long after the US has faded into one of many. The very fact this thread exists clearly indicates that people just question every numb nut accusation America comes out with these days, from Bomb Iran, to Sham a lang a ding dong, the great foobah of can.
The US presently is a world government in waiting. I think Obama the only (recent) politician to mention the word 'earth' in a presidential speech.
Jebus knows why America is not part of Earth.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I think Bush effectively wiped Americas political clout off the map, I think the repercussions of his idiot terms of politcal clowning will be felt long after the US has faded into one of many. The very fact this thread exists clearly indicates that people just question every numb nut accusation America comes out with these days, from Bomb Iran, to Sham a lang a ding dong, the great foobah of can.
Numb nut accusation? Bush was the demolition man, Obama the restorer. Each person takes helm of a ship whose course is already set.

Jebus knows why America is not part of Earth.
Why?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Pluto wrote:America is you too, no? ...
Oh well, given your stance on America I'm not surprised you didn't get the reference. Someone in this thread said something like, 'there have been no films about NK and its dictators', well there was a major one by the Southpark creators, 'Team America', and very funny it was too.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Arising_uk wrote:
Pluto wrote:America is you too, no? ...
Oh well, given your stance on America I'm not surprised you didn't get the reference. Someone in this thread said something like, 'there have been no films about NK and its dictators', well there was a major one by the Southpark creators, 'Team America', and very funny it was too.
Ok, sorry. I thought you meant we were both in love with the US. Go Team America, like go and talk that place up some. Apologies. And yes I know Team America, puppets going gung-ho.