Reasons for (or against) life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Andy Knowles

Reasons for (or against) life?

Post by Andy Knowles »

Hi all,

It's my first post so hopefully I'm not treading on any courtesies or rules, if I am I'm sure you will let me know :)

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I was wondering what your reasons for (or against) life are?
Aero

Re: Reasons for (or against) life?

Post by Aero »

Andy Knowles wrote:Hi all,

It's my first post so hopefully I'm not treading on any courtesies or rules, if I am I'm sure you will let me know :)

This would probably fit better in the "Applied Ethics" section.

And the question to me seems vague. For or against life in what? Abortion? Euthanasia? In general?

If it's in general, then I am for life because there's no reason to be against it.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum.

:::::::::::::::::::

You cannot avoid death. It´s free and deadly sure for everybody.

So why hurry to it ?

Life is a gift and a miracle so let us cling to it as long as it is bearable.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

For.

I'm alive and like being alive...got no interest in ending my stay.

All my favorite people are alive...got lots of interest in seeing all of them stick around.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Anything you like is a reason to live, as that's the only way to experience it.

There are no arguments against life that makes sense down the road, but you can get into situations where dying is an accidental downside of living. All parts of life has its costs, some are great enough to end us.

Fighting in a war where there's seemingly no other alternative, is an example of where you can end up in situations that reduce the span of your life greatly because you cannot find alternatives. That's an exterior cause, where the forces of the world turn against you and your only hope is resistance to it as either your own life is at significant risk, or the cost of adapting is so high the risk essentially "becomes worth it".

When you are insane, however, you can become your own enemy, and you resist your very own ability to like things, maybe because you've grown to like an object that kills you. If this thing becomes important enough, you are obsessed with it and it drives you into death. Extreme desires, extreme sense of honour, extreme idealism, extreme sports, extreme perversions... some things, in order for you to be able to "enjoy them" in some sense, to experience them, you'll have to kill yourself or risk your life.

Obsession with death is the very antithesis to sustainability in enjoying. You grow to like things that are, in terms of ability, in such a short supply they eventually kill you. You are only able to do experience it once or twice or few enough times and with enough attractiveness that it'll make you succumb to the desire and let yourself be killed in the process.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

OP seems completely irrational.

Why would anyone be against life? It contradicts the human nature, only if it was enemies or a cold blooded murderer, people might be for killings.

You need to explain yourself further.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Life is not a gift, it simply is, you never asked to be born, did you?

As such, it should be treated as a curse, nothing more. The days of olde giving thanks for imaginary blessings (like food, sex, water) are long over. They are not blessings, but necessities, that had you never existed, you would not require. Food sex and water are but fuel to fill the hole of hunger. Do you give thanks for your hunger? You seem to give almighty praise and thanks for whenever your hunger is quenched. Pathetic. One does not praise the witch of Nature for providing temporary relief from the curses she brings, in order to prolong her sadistic abuse.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

Andy Knowles wrote:Hi all,

Perhaps if we endure this meaningless life long enough, we may find a good purpose for it.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Humans pollute and eradicate natural resources. There's overall nothing good about humans.

We'r better off dead!
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Life is not a gift, it simply is, you never asked to be born, did you?

As such, it should be treated as a curse, nothing more. The days of olde giving thanks for imaginary blessings (like food, sex, water) are long over. They are not blessings, but necessities, that had you never existed, you would not require. Food sex and water are but fuel to fill the hole of hunger. Do you give thanks for your hunger? You seem to give almighty praise and thanks for whenever your hunger is quenched. Pathetic. One does not praise the witch of Nature for providing temporary relief from the curses she brings, in order to prolong her sadistic abuse.
It is not nature who attacks us but we who ignore and abuse nature to our peril. And there is a cure for the sadism of witches. They have fornicated with Satan. All you have to do is purge their genitals with intense heat.