Time exists only in the future.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Time exists only in the future.

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:27 am Change is the universal substrate of material reality and time is measured change. The past is remembered experience. The future is anticipated experience.
I appreciate what you’ve said about past and future, but I’m not sure that I agree with you regarding time and change.

Perhaps what I will say will be consistent with what you’ve said here. Anyway:

Time “moves forward” through a continuum of serial Nows. Change occurs (at) Now. Time is not a measure per se. Time is change observed/experienced.
Measurement is synonymous with quantification which is best understood as distinquishing between sides of a boundary condition ( < > = ~ ). "This thing ends here; increment your counter." Time is measured (experienced) change. Change is best understood as a universal substrate of Actuality because it allows time, space, matter, energy, causality, entropy, mass, gravity, etc. all to be understood in the same frame of reference, which is immeasurably useful. (heh)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... gq2BmR8qs/
Yes, I see it now.
Advocate

Re: Time exists only in the future.

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=472962 time=1600895615 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472956 time=1600895115 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=472952 time=1600893966 user_id=14610]

I appreciate what you’ve said about past and future, but I’m not sure that I agree with you regarding time and change.

Perhaps what I will say will be consistent with what you’ve said here. Anyway:

Time “moves forward” through a continuum of serial Nows. Change occurs (at) Now. Time is not a measure per se. Time is change observed/experienced.
[/quote]

Measurement is synonymous with quantification which is best understood as distinquishing between sides of a boundary condition ( < > = ~ ). "This thing ends here; increment your counter." Time is measured (experienced) change. Change is best understood as a universal substrate of Actuality because it allows time, space, matter, energy, causality, entropy, mass, gravity, etc. all to be understood in the same frame of reference, which is immeasurably useful. (heh)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... gq2BmR8qs/
[/quote]

Yes, I see it now.
[/quote]

Sense isn't always so common until it's deconstructed. :) I'm not saying that there aren't other options, even better ones, but that these (the whole linked doc) do a better job than any other ones i've been able to find at making complex problems manageable, solvable.