Authentic vs. Vicarious?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Authentic vs. Vicarious?

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:One for H Hammer... (are you related to MC Hammer?). were we to take the notion of authenticity in the way some philosophers talk about it such as Nietzsche, then the question in the OP is a valid one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17lIpfke8g
Sigh, now you are just being an intentionally retard.
Last edited by HexHammer on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:So, is the thread a dead one?
Do you guys often allow him to so effectively de-rail the discussion?
By your definition I apparently derail threats all the time, because I have to put things back on track as these cozy chatters like to talk about irrelevant stuff or in other words, doesn't a damn clue what they're talking about.
If you take careful note, neither really know anything about science other than SRT and RT, and worse they're parrots and can't really think abstract.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:No one has stooped as low as yourself: an ad hominem is a species of philosophical fallacy.
I see no evidence, as yet of any philosophy from you - but then I am new here.

You still have failed to answer the simple question with any philosophy. Denigrating it as a "cozy chat" is not an example of philosophy.
If you truly can't see the truth I bring, then you are not a very bright person, one might ask what kind of job one such as you have?
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Ginkgo wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:I do not think I have ever had a vicarious experience.
What does one look like?
I can imagine performing an act of employment; does that count?
I took the OP as being related to the Jackson's Knowledge Argument and Lewis' Ability Hypothesis. I could be wrong.
Fine. So what is a vicarious experience?
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

HexHammer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:No one has stooped as low as yourself: an ad hominem is a species of philosophical fallacy.
I see no evidence, as yet of any philosophy from you - but then I am new here.

You still have failed to answer the simple question with any philosophy. Denigrating it as a "cozy chat" is not an example of philosophy.
If you truly can't see the truth I bring, then you are not a very bright person, one might ask what kind of job one such as you have?
What you think is "truth" is nothing but poison.

I've only been posting here a couple of days and all I see in you so far is a petty and angry person; arrogant and not yet showing any signs of philosophical skill or knowledge.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:What you think is "truth" is nothing but poison.

I've only been posting here a couple of days and all I see in you so far is a petty and angry person; arrogant and not yet showing any signs of philosophical skill or knowledge.
Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Avoiding my question about your jobs only indicates that you may have a very low job or even none, which against suggest that you are an inferior minded person.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

HexHammer wrote:

Avoiding my question about your jobs only indicates that you may have a very low job or even none, which against suggest that you are an inferior minded person.
And you call yourself a philosopher?
If I asked you what car you drive and did not answer, obviously I can conclude that you drive a skate-board.
Warning. What's the worst thing about being a skate-boarder? Answer having to tell your parents that you are gay.
My job is far too complex for a person like yourself to understand.

Since I don't know anything about you I shall conclude that you are short, ugly, live alone, wank too much, and have no friends. Yep - that just about sums you up. Oh, wait, you are unemployed and living on disability allowance due to you having to type your shit with you mouth because you let your pet cat (your only friend), eat your fingers. Sadly the cat died of blood poisoning due to the cocktail of viruses that inhabit your fetid corpse-like shell you call a body.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:And you call yourself a philosopher?
If I asked you what car you drive and did not answer, obviously I can conclude that you drive a skate-board.
Warning. What's the worst thing about being a skate-boarder? Answer having to tell your parents that you are gay.

Since I don't know anything about you I shall conclude that you are short, ugly, live alone, wank too much, and have no friends. Yep - that just about sums you up. Oh, wait, you are unemployed and living on disability allowance due to you having to type your shit with you mouth because you let your pet cat (your only friend), eat your fingers. Sadly the cat died of blood poisoning due to the cocktail of viruses that inhabit your fetid corpse-like shell you call a body.
Didn't know you were a clown too, a very pathetic clown that is! :mrgreen:
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

HexHammer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:And you call yourself a philosopher?

Didn't know you were a clown too, a very pathetic clown that is! :mrgreen:
Fuck off and get a job!
I'll not be answering further posts from you.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:Fuck off and get a job!
I'll not be answering further posts from you.
I'm an ol' man, I have had a job 14 years ago, but please heed your own advice.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:

Well it's good to see that ad hominems are alive and well on this forum. But the ignore function would be a better use of your time.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:I do not think I have ever had a vicarious experience.
What does one look like?
I can imagine performing an act of employment; does that count?
I took the OP as being related to the Jackson's Knowledge Argument and Lewis' Ability Hypothesis. I could be wrong.

From my point of view "vicarious" boils down to this:

http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/people-defau ... h/ABKH.pdf

But, then again, I am somewhat bias.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

thedoc wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Well it's good to see that ad hominems are alive and well on this forum. But the ignore function would be a better use of your time.
No to worry. I have put HH on ignore. I began to learn why this ex-Warhammer nerd, is so angry. He brought down a good proportion of Danish industry thinking he was saving it. Trouble was the he did not realise that life is not all about rolling the dice and looking up the result of a table. You can't control reality in the same way as a game simulation. Smarter people than him had other ideas, and left him in the dirt without a job.
No wonder he is angry - but he is tilting at the wrong windmills.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Ginkgo wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:

From my point of view "vicarious" boils down to this:

http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/people-defau ... h/ABKH.pdf

But, then again, I am somewhat bias.
If you think I am going to read through all that text, which does not even include the word Vacarious, you have another think coming, sorry.
I would but it is poorly written from sentence one, which masquerades as a statement, but is a question.
The text does not set out it terms but rather falls straight in at the middle of a conversation the writer is already having with the reader.
I assume that "Mary" is "monochrome Mary" of the qualia thought experiment? This leaves me puzzled as to what part of this you think a vicarious experience amounts to.

So I'll ask one more time. If you were asked to give a practical example of a vicarious experience, what would it look like, how would you describe it?
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Yes, you are right it is about Mary the scientist who only know about colour in terms of its physical explanation.

By all means take time. I am interested in your take on the argument.

Basically, I see the word "vicarious" to mean knowing how to do something type of knowledge.