Authentic vs. Vicarious?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lev Muishkin

Re: Authentic vs. Vicarious?

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Ginkgo wrote:Yes, you are right it is about Mary the scientist who only know about colour in terms of its physical explanation.

By all means take time. I am interested in your take on the argument.

Basically, I see the word "vicarious" to mean knowing how to do something type of knowledge.
Your idea does not seem to be commensurate with a distinction between authentic and vicarious as laid down in the OP.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:Yes, you are right it is about Mary the scientist who only know about colour in terms of its physical explanation.

By all means take time. I am interested in your take on the argument.

Basically, I see the word "vicarious" to mean knowing how to do something type of knowledge.
Your idea does not seem to be commensurate with a distinction between authentic and vicarious as laid down in the OP.

You could be right. I would need to give it some more thought.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Ginkgo wrote:
I took the OP as being related to the Jackson's Knowledge Argument and Lewis' Ability Hypothesis. I could be wrong.

From my point of view "vicarious" boils down to this:

http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/people-defau ... h/ABKH.pdf

But, then again, I am somewhat bias.
So I was kinda on the right track in talking about knowing how versus knowing that, above. I take it that someone has put forward the answer to Mary's room, that 'knowing what it's like to see red' is an ability, or knowing how. Intuitively, I agree. I am going to make a new thread regarding that subject.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:What you think is "truth" is nothing but poison.

I've only been posting here a couple of days and all I see in you so far is a petty and angry person; arrogant and not yet showing any signs of philosophical skill or knowledge.
Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Avoiding my question about your jobs only indicates that you may have a very low job or even none, which against suggest that you are an inferior minded person.
And you call yourself a philosopher?
If I asked you what car you drive and did not answer, obviously I can conclude that you drive a skate-board.
Warning. What's the worst thing about being a skate-boarder? Answer having to tell your parents that you are gay.
My job is far too complex for a person like yourself to understand.

Since I don't know anything about you I shall conclude that you are short, ugly, live alone, wank too much, and have no friends. Yep - that just about sums you up. Oh, wait, you are unemployed and living on disability allowance due to you having to type your shit with you mouth because you let your pet cat (your only friend), eat your fingers. Sadly the cat died of blood poisoning due to the cocktail of viruses that inhabit your fetid corpse-like shell you call a body.
HH, you may have met your match. Btw, I didn't know it was possible to wank too much.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Wyman wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
If I asked you what car you drive and did not answer, obviously I can conclude that you drive a skate-board.
Warning. What's the worst thing about being a skate-boarder? Answer having to tell your parents that you are gay.

Since I don't know anything about you I shall conclude that you are short, ugly, live alone, wank too much, and have no friends. Yep - that just about sums you up. Oh, wait, you are unemployed and living on disability allowance due to you having to type your shit with you mouth because you let your pet cat (your only friend), eat your fingers. Sadly the cat died of blood poisoning due to the cocktail of viruses that inhabit your fetid corpse-like shell you call a body.
HH, you may have met your match. Btw, I didn't know it was possible to wank too much.
HH confided in me that his member was raw and his hand had RSI.
That's too much!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:What you think is "truth" is nothing but poison.

I've only been posting here a couple of days and all I see in you so far is a petty and angry person; arrogant and not yet showing any signs of philosophical skill or knowledge.
Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Avoiding my question about your jobs only indicates that you may have a very low job or even none, which against suggest that you are an inferior minded person.

Vicarious indeed, much like HH, the bravery of being out of range. Once upon a time, in a land far far away, there was this fisherman...

Shut the door, the children are getting in, or so it surely might seem! Adult, anyone?
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:]Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Vicarious indeed, much like HH, the bravery of being out of range. Once upon a time, in a land far far away, there was this fisherman...

Shut the door, the children are getting in, or so it surely might seem! Adult, anyone?
Humourectomy anyone?
SpheresOfBalance

HexHammer wrote:]Then ask others if you doubt my words.

Lev Muishkin wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:

Humourectomy anyone?
A rose by any other color!
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: A rose by any other color!
Would still be planted in shit.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: A rose by any other color!
Would still be planted in shit. Shat by a horse of a different name?

I think you are confused.
SpheresOfBalance

Having problems, I See!
Did you hear a sound, as if something cut through the air directly over your head?
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Having problems, I See!
Did you hear a sound, as if something cut through the air directly over your head?
When the shit from the horse of a different colour helps the rose by any other name grow better, maybe then you will know how to use your metaphors properly but then if you keep imagining flying pigs there really is no hope for you, even if it springs eternal.
SpheresOfBalance

Lev Muishkin wrote:
When the shit from the horse of a different colour helps the rose by any other name grow better, maybe then you will know how to use your metaphors properly but then if you keep imagining flying pigs there really is no hope for you, even if it springs eternal.
That you comment on your ignorance, is no surprise.

Only cowards nymshift!
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
That you comment on your ignorance, is no surprise.

Only cowards nymshift!
So far tree people on this Forum seem to thrive on conflict and derision: HexHammer, thedoc, and now yourself.
Is this going to be all I can expect from you?
Or are you going to discuss some aspect of the thread topic.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:So far tree people on this Forum seem to thrive on conflict and derision: HexHammer, thedoc, and now yourself.
Is this going to be all I can expect from you?
Or are you going to discuss some aspect of the thread topic.
This is one of lowest forum there is on the internet, filled with halfwits.

You need to seek other fora if you want a cozy chat as you request.