What form of discipline should be used at home?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lev Muishkin

Re: What form of discipline should be used at home?

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think many people believe that discipline is needed to maintain a stable home environment. If so, then what form is best? Does spanking, e.g., work? I pick this form because I've personally known a couple of women that like to be spanked and I mean spanked hard. This makes me wonder what can be done to help children grow up?

What have you to say?

PhilX

Physical violence is a signal that a parent has already failed.

As for sex - that is a different story. Do those women spank back, and call you a naughty boy?
That's not my bag and I'm not familiar with these women's histories. All I can say is I was surprised as I suppose many would be, but I do suspect these women had strict family histories when growing up.

PhilX
Gee - still got their number?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think many people believe that discipline is needed to maintain a stable home environment. If so, then what form is best? Does spanking, e.g., work? I pick this form because I've personally known a couple of women that like to be spanked and I mean spanked hard. This makes me wonder what can be done to help children grow up?

What have you to say?

PhilX
Lev Muishkin wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:

Physical violence is a signal that a parent has already failed.

As for sex - that is a different story. Do those women spank back, and call you a naughty boy?
That's not my bag and I'm not familiar with these women's histories. All I can say is I was surprised as I suppose many would be, but I do suspect these women had strict family histories when growing up.

PhilX
Gee - still got their number?
Here, as with most places on this planet, no one's got anyone's number, yet they only believe such things, so as to justify their lives; projections of belief!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Here is some food for further thought, but I caution that I don't know how relevant this is.

One of the women has multiple personalities (I don't know if she can be cured like the woman in Three Faces of Eve). She admitted to me (without my asking) that she did drugs and drank. She exhibited belligerence, bossiness, playfulness, changing her mind at the drop of a hat, nervousness at times to give you a sampler (I believe the drinking and drugs were factors and her genes may have been a factor too). It took me quite a while to figure out that she did have multiple personalities.

PhilX
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Here is some food for further thought, but I caution that I don't know how relevant this is.

One of the women has multiple personalities (I don't know if she can be cured like the woman in Three Faces of Eve). She admitted to me (without my asking) that she did drugs and drank. She exhibited belligerence, bossiness, playfulness, changing her mind at the drop of a hat, nervousness at times to give you a sampler (I believe the drinking and drugs were factors and her genes may have been a factor too). It took me quite a while to figure out that she did have multiple personalities.

PhilX
Actually, scientists are now looking more towards epigenetics than genetics. Environment is everything, or nothing, depending upon any particular environment, and ones perspective! I would bet that indeed her environment was key.