Philosophy in Secondary Schools

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoramblues

Re: Philosophy in Secondary Schools

Post by marjoramblues »

Hi again - how is the project going?

After watching a community film last night ( The Happy Lands) and posting about it.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12118&p=154226#p154226
I re-read this by Voice:
About political philosophy the topic is much more a "pick what you like" situation unfortunately, and almost everything is a bias towards something. But "V For Vendetta" is a good movie you could start with, it brings up a lot of political questions that are not obvious but lingers. The questions of the value of anarchy, mass movement, individualism, distribution of goods throughout society, the role and obligations of citizens, political participation and emancipation and so forth. All those topics hide behind the scenes in that movie, either because of their unusual appearance or their unusual absence.
I think that school kids would become more involved in their own community project.
This could involve a whole set of skills and practical application of subjects; perhaps bringing their own narrative to a screen - youtube, even?

Just a thought - time to mine creativity and passion...
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

If I understand your suggestion as being about making a play/movie, then excellent suggestion marjoramblues!

However, it usually requires a lot of a student to master the art of intellectual plays, although this is no final impediment to trying, and with a bit of luck you could get a very fine play.

It could be the final assignment for the course, to express an idea, either your own philosophical idea or something you've all read about, and put it so unto the screen or unto a scene, like a "thought experiment" taken to life, for instance. The kids would need a lot of guidance however, and it would require a good teacher to provide the guidance necessary.
aiddon

Post by aiddon »

The Voice of Time wrote:If I understand your suggestion as being about making a play/movie, then excellent suggestion marjoramblues!

However, it usually requires a lot of a student to master the art of intellectual plays, although this is no final impediment to trying, and with a bit of luck you could get a very fine play.

It could be the final assignment for the course, to express an idea, either your own philosophical idea or something you've all read about, and put it so unto the screen or unto a scene, like a "thought experiment" taken to life, for instance. The kids would need a lot of guidance however, and it would require a good teacher to provide the guidance necessary.
These are good suggestions, thanks guys. I recieved permission to go ahead with a pilot scheme involving first years (12-13 year olds), which I think is too young, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Any ideas as to any texts could use to act out a "thought experiment?" It would be great to use the foundation of a classic text, modified somewhat, to get students familiar with. Maybe a movie or a play that uses the ideas of a well-known philosopher? I can think of many such existentialist contexts.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Never too young...
This is a useful site; love the final Caveat :lol:

http://www.teachingthinking.net/thinkin ... othink.htm
It can be challenging when children are encouraged to think for themselves. Uncomfortable consequences can arise from developing philosophical habits in children. This was illustrated for me at the end of a community of enquiry with Year 2 children (6 year olds). We had been discussing their chosen question after a Story for Thinking lesson when the discussion dried up. I then posed the class a question that I hoped might further stimulate their philosophical thinking. ‘How do you know I am Mr. Fisher?’ I asked. There was silence. This is good, I thought, for they are really thinking this through. The silence dragged on and I began to wonder whether any of the class would respond. Suddenly a child’s hand went up. ‘How do you know you’re Mr. Fisher?’ he asked.
So...
'Who are you?' 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLIerfXuZ4
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

The Voice of Time wrote:If I understand your suggestion as being about making a play/movie, then excellent suggestion marjoramblues!

M: Well, that could be one creative outcome, depending on the wishes/skills of a particular group.
The main thing would be for an end philo product to be relevant to them. A youtube skit or presentation could last only 3 mins; a school article/cartoon - a page; jokes; music ( wow, think Ireland in the Eurovision 8)) ...

V: However, it usually requires a lot of a student to master the art of intellectual plays, although this is no final impediment to trying, and with a bit of luck you could get a very fine play.

M: Hmmm...it could be about using philosophical intelligence to work through ideas; someone dressed as Socrates, another the Devil...whatever...questions like 'What is [school]... good for?'
Actually all the 5 W's: What, when, where, who, why - and How?

V: It could be the final assignment for the course, to express an idea, either your own philosophical idea or something you've all read about, and put it so unto the screen or unto a scene, like a "thought experiment" taken to life, for instance. The kids would need a lot of guidance however, and it would require a good teacher to provide the guidance necessary.

M: Yes, something to be worked towards: either as a class - or separate groups 'competing' within a theme...what does it mean to be Irish, and why do so many have to/want to leave...apart from the rainy, windy weather :wink:
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

marjoramblues wrote:Never too young...
So true, kids are the biggest philosophers there are, political (little rebels) as well as ethical (what is right? what is wrong?) or ontological (does Santa Claus exist? Or is he a big joke played on my ignorance?). So many many questions that needs answering, and so much common sense about many of them. We must all have at least once met a child who has been able to speak straight out what should be obvious but for which we adults have over-thought and therefore not been able to see straight in front of us, whether it is questions of right and wrong, politics or ontological perspectives.

They may not have the terminology, but they have the mindset, and, I think the reason why some of us don't have it, is simply because at some point we loose it, but those of us who do have it, have managed to hide away that curiosity in a part of ourselves protected from the stress and challenges of ordinary life.

It's a bit like love, how we can awe at wisdom when we are new to it, but ignore it when we learn that it's not as magnificent always as we expect. Some people are able to keep awe however, and from it develop emotional bonds with a notion of wisdom that turns into a philo-sophia, a love of wisdom, for which we carry with us like partner.