For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Re: TRUTH!

Post by Advocate »

[quote=reasonvemotion post_id=144448 time=1376530756 user_id=7684]
[quote]

Spheres wrote:

So do you think that will make me a better husband? Time is short after all![/quote]

That is a tough one. LOL

I consider myself a person not suitable for marriage, although I tried it.

Didn't like it. Too restricting, he wanted to know where I was all the time, even kept a diary of what I did every day. Weird eh?

So I am the least qualified person to ask for advice.

I am essentially a loner.

Sometimes, even a visit is enough to stress me out. :lol:

I will venture to add, that, I think you will give it a better shot than I did, if that is any consolation.
[/quote]

There's a reason why gurus live on mountaintops. Beyond a certain level of understanding it's impossible to find someone to help you improve because they aren't leveled up enough even to understand your issues. Most people simply aren't capable of recognizing truth or using it "appropriately", whatever that means.

It sounds like your ex had some trust issues, by which i really mean certainty issues - knowing what to expect.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Kuznetzova post_id=149649 time=1383014238 user_id=8093]
[quote="Nick_A"][quote]The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular:
Humans have invented a social "reality" that denies reality itself.

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear. -- Herbert Agar

Truth is like the town whore. Everybody knows her, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing to meet her on the street. WOLFGANG BORCHERT, The Outsider[/quote][/quote]

The latte-sipping academics have a word for this concept already.

I think it might be [i]'Consensus Reality'[/i]
[/quote]

Ugh, but the word reality also means consensus reality, because Actually isn't accessible to us. That's why i use knowledge for justified belief and truth as an individual's perspectives on it. It's also helpful to use the words that way to clear up SJW contentions like "my truth" and "speak your truth".

Ok, speak your truth, but if you want me to accept it as knowledge you're going to have to back it up.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

No discussion about truth is complete without mentioning how much discussion there is about truth. If we could agree on definitions... if pigs could fly...
Eyeon

Post by Eyeon »

The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular:
The truth is that we must function together (even if the work we do is incredibly painful and destructive).
Humans have invented a social "reality" that denies reality itself.
Reality is consummation of forms. The social "reality" is just as real as "reality itself".