Philosophy is created by belief!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Philosophy is created by belief!

Post by The Voice of Time »

Yes, being an atheist myself it may sound strange, but I'm not necessarily talking about belief as in religion, rather I talk about belief like "believing in yourself", "believing in what you do", "believing in the virtue of x or the importance of y".

I've found that as I've been working on my philosophy of needs the real drive in me seems to be a belief and/or faith in the virtues of "need" that I can trace all the way back to my early childhood, a way of thinking that is encouraged in Norwegian society, taught by parents and school teachers, and yet not of course in the way I've done it, but the word "need", "human needs", "animals needs", "planet's needs", the needs of institutions and groups, have been such a recurring theme. People talk so much about what they need all the time to become something or to preserve something. In this sense I feel like a product of my time.

Human need was something precious to me, as I was early on a humanist by nature and even very early spent time thinking about how to solve problems in the world. So, I come to think, that maybe it's what precious to anyone of us that really drives us to make philosophy about it? I believed in the power of human needs to affect my ordinary life, so what do other people believe in?

I know a lot of you here like to joke, be sarcastic, some of you overly zealous and some so relaxed it's hard to imagine there's any passion to anything you say. But I ask you, to look within yourself, really think back through your life, and tell me, what are you passionate about? Such that you might make a philosophy about it?

To make great philosophy I think a passion for diversity is also needed, the spirit to gather the raw materials necessary to produce.