Proof of predeterminism or not?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jimmyboi

Post by jimmyboi »

I like to run this sequence of statements through my head in an attempt to prove the absence of free will, so here goes:

1. I cannot consciously influence events that have taken place before the present moment.

2. I cannot consciously influence events that take place in the instantaneous present. (Since by the time I become aware of the present, time has elapsed and the moment slips into the past.

3. My future is comprised of an infinite series of instantaneous "snapshots" of the present.

4. Since I cannot consciously influence the present and the future is a function of the present I cannot consciously influence the future.

Therefore I have no free will.

Any insight appreciated.
Mark Question

Re: Proof of predeterminism or not?

Post by Mark Question »

jimmyboi wrote:I like to run this sequence of statements through my head in an attempt to prove the absence of free will, so here goes:

1. I cannot consciously influence events that have taken place before the present moment.

2. I cannot consciously influence events that take place in the instantaneous present. (Since by the time I become aware of the present, time has elapsed and the moment slips into the past.

3. My future is comprised of an infinite series of instantaneous "snapshots" of the present.

4. Since I cannot consciously influence the present and the future is a function of the present I cannot consciously influence the future.

Therefore I have no free will.

Any insight appreciated.
5. your conscious statements cannot consciously influence the past, the present and the future. cannot consciously touch it or see it. no conscious connection. no knowledge. no words. unspeakable.
6. your conscious statements can influence its infinite series of instantaneous "snapshots" of the unspeakable present as the "present", the "past present" and the "future present".
7. your conscious statements can influence only to other conscious statements. like "free will", "god", "science".
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

ask hume

-Imp
Mark Question

Post by Mark Question »

Impenitent wrote:ask hume

-Imp
why?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

it's his dustbowl empiricism...

-Imp
Mark Question

Post by Mark Question »

Impenitent wrote:it's his dustbowl empiricism...

-Imp
what did hume say?