Why truth is necessary?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aronn00
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Why truth is necessary?

Post by Aronn00 »

Hello, I have to make an oppinion essay on the theme: "It is the truth necessary in family, economical, political and social life and why?".
I have to write about one of those 4, so i chose family and so far this i what i did: I do agree that honesty is one of the most important elements in a family. This way, in a family it is necessary that there should not be any secret, one should never lie or hide things that happened or things they have done, and that is what makes it happy.one should not hesitate telling every fact about everything including the bad facts. When one committed on doing bad things or even if anything bad happened to them, they should be able to share it to their family and so everyone will be able to help them find their solution because two heads are better than one right?
Now I don't really know how to continue. If someone can help me I would be really grateful. And sorry for my bad grammar, english not my matern language.
zooky
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by zooky »

Aronn00 wrote:Hello, I have to make an oppinion essay on the theme: "It is the truth necessary in family, economical, political and social life and why?".
I have to write about one of those 4, so i chose family and so far this i what i did: I do agree that honesty is one of the most important elements in a family. This way, in a family it is necessary that there should not be any secret, one should never lie or hide things that happened or things they have done, and that is what makes it happy.one should not hesitate telling every fact about everything including the bad facts. When one committed on doing bad things or even if anything bad happened to them, they should be able to share it to their family and so everyone will be able to help them find their solution because two heads are better than one right?
Now I don't really know how to continue. If someone can help me I would be really grateful. And sorry for my bad grammar, english not my matern language.
Hi aronn
Its coming along nicely, now try adding some real life examples, look into your family for examples where a member has admitted to something and how your family responded positively, if you havn't time for this and only as a last resort you need to make up a story something along the lines of a boy stole an apple from a grocery store then felt guilty and told his mother what he did, she marched him back to the grocers made him say sorry and then paid for the apple, the grocer liked the boy for his honesty and offered him a part time job on the weekends.
I'm sure you will be able to come up with a better story than that but I hope this helps you get going again on your essay and good luck to you.
tillingborn
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by tillingborn »

Aronn00 wrote:I do agree that honesty is one of the most important elements in a family. This way, in a family it is necessary that there should not be any secret, one should never lie or hide things that happened or things they have done, and that is what makes it happy.one should not hesitate telling every fact about everything including the bad facts.
I think there are some things you need to treat with sensitivity. For instance, does a 4 year old need to know that there is no such person as Santa Claus? Does mother need to know that, actually, yes your bum does look big in that? Does dad need to be told that his attempts to cover his bald patch make him a laughing stock? In an ideal world perhaps the answers are all yes, better that everyone learns to deal with the truth and be grateful for objective opinions. The reality though, is that the truth sometimes hurts; do you want to cause pain when a harmless fib would avoid it? The downside is that lies are easy to forget; truth is much easier to remember.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

tillingborn wrote:
Aronn00 wrote:I do agree that honesty is one of the most important elements in a family. This way, in a family it is necessary that there should not be any secret, one should never lie or hide things that happened or things they have done, and that is what makes it happy.one should not hesitate telling every fact about everything including the bad facts.
I think there are some things you need to treat with sensitivity. For instance, does a 4 year old need to know that there is no such person as Santa Claus? Does mother need to know that, actually, yes your bum does look big in that? Does dad need to be told that his attempts to cover his bald patch make him a laughing stock? In an ideal world perhaps the answers are all yes, better that everyone learns to deal with the truth and be grateful for objective opinions. The reality though, is that the truth sometimes hurts; do you want to cause pain when a harmless fib would avoid it? The downside is that lies are easy to forget; truth is much easier to remember.
I disagree. The truth shall set everyone free. Further, I see that the more lies one tells, the more clinically insane they become, conversely, the most sane humans are those that tell the truth the most often. What this pertains too is the quantity of internal conflict as your subconscious and conscious duke it out, in a swirling vortex of ever increasing confusion. Your downside is about getting away with the lie, for shame, you nut. ;-) (just teasing) ;-) (being silly)
artisticsolution
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by artisticsolution »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
tillingborn wrote: I think there are some things you need to treat with sensitivity. For instance, does a 4 year old need to know that there is no such person as Santa Claus? Does mother need to know that, actually, yes your bum does look big in that? Does dad need to be told that his attempts to cover his bald patch make him a laughing stock? In an ideal world perhaps the answers are all yes, better that everyone learns to deal with the truth and be grateful for objective opinions. The reality though, is that the truth sometimes hurts; do you want to cause pain when a harmless fib would avoid it? The downside is that lies are easy to forget; truth is much easier to remember.
I disagree. The truth shall set everyone free. Further, I see that the more lies one tells, the more clinically insane they become, conversely, the most sane humans are those that tell the truth the most often. What this pertains too is the quantity of internal conflict as your subconscious and conscious duke it out, in a swirling vortex of ever increasing confusion. Your downside is about getting away with the lie, for shame, you nut. ;-) (just teasing) ;-) (being silly)
I like the idea that the more lies one tell the more clinically insane they become.....lol...I also like the idea that the truth shall set us free....however, I don't agree that the "truth" is necessarily knowable ...at least not when it pertains to aesthetics. When it comes to appearances, those little white lies mean absolutely nothing ...as you are only commander and chief of your own opinions of beauty.

If you were to tell pop his comb over makes him a laughing stock because you want to tell the truth...you are kidding yourself that it is really "truth". A shallow person makes appearances out to be more important that what they are and the covers it up with justifications such as.."everyone thinks so therefore it must be true"...when in actuality what they are really saying is..."everyone is jumping off that bridge...therefore jumping off a bridge is 'truth'. It seems laughable to me that this is what most considers being honest or conveying "truth".
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

artisticsolution wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
tillingborn wrote: I think there are some things you need to treat with sensitivity. For instance, does a 4 year old need to know that there is no such person as Santa Claus? Does mother need to know that, actually, yes your bum does look big in that? Does dad need to be told that his attempts to cover his bald patch make him a laughing stock? In an ideal world perhaps the answers are all yes, better that everyone learns to deal with the truth and be grateful for objective opinions. The reality though, is that the truth sometimes hurts; do you want to cause pain when a harmless fib would avoid it? The downside is that lies are easy to forget; truth is much easier to remember.
I disagree. The truth shall set everyone free. Further, I see that the more lies one tells, the more clinically insane they become, conversely, the most sane humans are those that tell the truth the most often. What this pertains too is the quantity of internal conflict as your subconscious and conscious duke it out, in a swirling vortex of ever increasing confusion. Your downside is about getting away with the lie, for shame, you nut. ;-) (just teasing) ;-) (being silly)
I like the idea that the more lies one tell the more clinically insane they become.....lol...I also like the idea that the truth shall set us free....however, I don't agree that the "truth" is necessarily knowable ...at least not when it pertains to aesthetics. When it comes to appearances, those little white lies mean absolutely nothing ...as you are only commander and chief of your own opinions of beauty.

If you were to tell pop his comb over makes him a laughing stock because you want to tell the truth...you are kidding yourself that it is really "truth". A shallow person makes appearances out to be more important that what they are and the covers it up with justifications such as.."everyone thinks so therefore it must be true"...when in actuality what they are really saying is..."everyone is jumping off that bridge...therefore jumping off a bridge is 'truth'. It seems laughable to me that this is what most considers being honest or conveying "truth".
You are saying that ones opinion as to aesthetics, is subjective, and it's true, but when one asks if their butt looks big in a certain dress, pair of pants, etc, they are in fact asking one to judge as close as possible from the perspective of the generalized common collective of subjectivity, an average that is current only in any particular time, culture, etc. As such, one does the other a disservice, if they do not respond within the framework as requested, as that is the reason the question was asked in the first place, so as to adjust ones appearance, so as to fit within the common perception of the current societal views. That was their wish, why take it from them, as if you know better than they do, what their wants are?
artisticsolution
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by artisticsolution »

Would it not be just as honest then to simply say," not to me ,now come on over here and gimme summa dat!" The thing is...alot of women just ask that question as an affirmation of your love.
tillingborn
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by tillingborn »

artisticsolution wrote:Would it not be just as honest then to simply say," not to me ,now come on over here and gimme summa dat!" The thing is...alot of women just ask that question as an affirmation of your love.
Well yes, but the other thing is, the same women will sometimes ask that same question in all earnestness and woe betide if you get the mood wrong. To be fair though, most women learn not to ask a bloke that question if the answer matters.

Please note: all the above applies equally to men with comb overs.
artisticsolution
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by artisticsolution »

tillingborn wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:Would it not be just as honest then to simply say," not to me ,now come on over here and gimme summa dat!" The thing is...alot of women just ask that question as an affirmation of your love.
Well yes, but the other thing is, the same women will sometimes ask that same question in all earnestness and woe betide if you get the mood wrong. To be fair though, most women learn not to ask a bloke that question if the answer matters.

Please note: all the above applies equally to men with comb overs.
LOL So is it appropriate or inappropriate to offer your man an elastic head band, like they wore playing tennis in the 70's, so his comb over won't flap in the wind?
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

artisticsolution wrote:Would it not be just as honest then to simply say," not to me ,now come on over here and gimme summa dat!" The thing is...alot of women just ask that question as an affirmation of your love.
So am I to understand that you're saying that often a woman's question is dishonest, which is exactly what it is that you just said, in which case they deserve what it is that they get for being so DISHONEST! Say what you mean and mean what you say, is the goal of honesty.

If one 'honestly' believes that 'summa dat' is good, then fine, that's the way it should be reported, but if the contrary, then the contrary.

For me, there is no room for 'any' lies, when it comes to a couple or a family, a 'real' relationship!
reasonvemotion
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 am

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by reasonvemotion »

Spheres,

Some men and women are skilful liars and it is almost impossible to uncover the truth.

Also there are times, when there is a preferred answer you are seeking, so you tend to accept what you want to hear, even though there is that little voice inside saying, he/she is not telling me the truth.

I believe, to be kind to a person, there are times, when the truth needs to be withheld. One does not need to be brutal.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

reasonvemotion wrote:Spheres,

Some men and women are skilful liars and it is almost impossible to uncover the truth.

Also there are times, when there is a preferred answer you are seeking, so you tend to accept what you want to hear, even though there is that little voice inside saying, he/she is not telling me the truth.

I believe, to be kind to a person, there are times, when the truth needs to be withheld. One does not need to be brutal.
I disagree, especially as to fatness, (obesity) which has been the focus for a couple of posts, if one lies, they could be the instrument of the others death, far better to be brutally honest, than to kill with words of kind, untrue flattery.
reasonvemotion
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 am

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by reasonvemotion »

I wasn't referring to fatness.

I should have made it clear.

Perhaps you could consider the scenario, on a personal level, concerning matters of the heart. Breaking up with someone, wanting to do it as painlessly as possible for the other person.

Would you be so brutal as to say, look bitch, stop whining, I met this other woman, I don't want you, I want her. Would you, could you do that. If the answer is yes, you are a heartless son of a bitch. It would be truthful, though.

No, you would probably say, "I need space, time alone, to think, it is not you, its me."

The thread is, why truth is necessary.

I say, not always.
artisticsolution
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by artisticsolution »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: For me, there is no room for 'any' lies, when it comes to a couple or a family, a 'real' relationship!
I don't know about that...I mean...not that you and I have a 'real' relationship...but I seem to remember a time or two you got very upset when I told you the truth...lol. One must always use discretion when living with another or face the possibility of living with a tyrant...it is not the same online...where you can simply step away from the computer so you don't have to 'hear' another person's 'truth'.

Having lived in a house filled with men for the past 25 years...I have noticed that men are sometimes way to confident that their 'opinion' = truth.

How do you know that your family is really telling you the truth or not...taking into account that sometimes one doesn't want to hear what another has to say?

There should always be room to be less than perfect in a family...even if it means that one is being less than perfect when they lie.

At least that is how I like to live ...in a relaxed atmosphere where a little white lie to save ones feelings is not something to come unglued about and where one can feel free to be themselves without the constant threat of not having "any room" for their flaws. But that's just me...I love my family...faults and all...and they are always forgiven.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: Why truth is necessary?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

reasonvemotion wrote:I wasn't referring to fatness.

I should have made it clear.

Perhaps you could consider the scenario, on a personal level, concerning matters of the heart. Breaking up with someone, wanting to do it as painlessly as possible for the other person.

Would you be so brutal as to say, look bitch, stop whining, I met this other woman, I don't want you, I want her. Would you, could you do that. If the answer is yes, you are a heartless son of a bitch. It would be truthful, though.

No, you would probably say, "I need space, time alone, to think, it is not you, its me."

The thread is, why truth is necessary.

I say, not always.
The truth is, I've never done anything like that to a woman, or anyone for that matter. I have always accepted everyone for what they are, I have never told them that they were unworthy of my brilliance, as if I am. But ones truth is ones truth, even if it is that they've lied, as in someone that told you that they loved you, then later told you that they didn't. Which would actually mean that they lied in the first place, as they could have never really loved you, if they could one day say they didn't. The truth is though, how better to ensure that you move on with your life, rather than pine over the possibility that you'll get back together again, why would anyone want to be strung along? Does anyone really want a slave in their mate? I don't want to have you, I want you to want me. That my dear is where love should lie, not forcing someone to want you when they don't.

While the truth can be harsh, it is necessary for the truth of the matter to proceed in truth, as lies are what cause the problems in the first place. Lies are untruths, pure and simple, why would anyone in their right mind, want to be told a lie, I certainly wouldn't.

I know it's just a TV show, but in America we have a show titled "Family Feud" and the show conducts surveys, then asks members of two teams, comprised of family members, to give their answers to the surveys questions, and they get points based upon the answers that correspond to the percent of people that gave that answer. Anyway one time I was channel surfing and paused for a moment to hear that the survey was: 'What is the most important thing in a relationship?' And the number one answer was, you guessed it: "HONESTY." Sorry but, Survey says... Honesty is the most important thing in a relationship. Which was funny, because I had always thought so.
Post Reply