Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Christianity

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:25 pm So, the big deal for you is their lack of consistency?
They stand condemned by their own account. They don't need my help.
You are the one who condemns. If only you held everyone and everything to the same standards for questioning and consistency... you would condemn less instead of more.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

They stand condemned by their own account.
That was the conclusion after every torture session during the Middle Ages after which you burn the body to save the soul. After all, that's what Christianity is all about...saving souls; burning alive as the ultimate exorcism.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:21 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:25 pm So, the big deal for you is their lack of consistency?
You are the one who condemns.
Nope. Don't have to.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am That was the conclusion after every torture session during the Middle Ages after which you burn the body to save the soul. After all, that's what Christianity is all about...saving souls; burning alive as the ultimate exorcism.
Oh, Dube.... :lol:

If we could harness your brain power, we could...

...make some toast. :D
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Technically of course, the soul was saved before immolation…

(Sorry, it’s my detail oriented nature.)

Carry on …
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:52 am
Lacewing wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:21 pm
You are the one who condemns.
Nope. Don't have to.
Wow. Such a creepy fantasy world you live in.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pm
tillingborn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:51 pmI have never ignored that you deny having a "Pravda", I just don't think it's true.
Well though I protested, you went on as if I had never said it at all, and didn't even address it.
You must be losing your mind:
tillingborn wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:04 pmI got fed up waiting for you to explain so I looked it up. It is as I suspected:
""Legacy media" is politi-speak that political conservatives use to identify long-standing ("mature") media outlets (such as the TV news networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc., and the major print news services - New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times., etc.) Typically, these ostensibly "left-wing" news outlets are critical of conservative political agendas."
The outlets that use 'legacy media' in this way are your Pravda news. And that you use it in the same way convinces me that you have bought into a narrative expressed by media that have an obvious interest in persuading you that their rivals are dishonest. What would convince me otherwise would be if you were to say some things that couldn't seamlessly be stitched into a Fox news broadcast.
tillingborn wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:04 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:52 pmThe legacy media depend on the appearance of objectivity and truthfulness.
You agreed that:
tillingborn wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:19 amThe media is owned and/or run by people with political interests, which will influence the news they report and how they report it, that is just a fact of life.
If you are alert enough to appreciate that, you should also understand that the media do not depend on "the appearance of objectivity and truthfulness"; they depend on selling a product you are willing to buy. You should consider that when you use a term like "The legacy media". Why do they need to be distinguished from other media? Who says so? Why did you buy it?
tillingborn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:51 pmYour problem is that the Bible is your "Pravda". That you feel the need to interpret all of it in a way that is sympathetic to your own beliefs, or at least what you think your beliefs should be, plays havoc with your critical faculties. The media you rely on know this and feed you nonsense that makes you angry or frightened; because that is what holds your attention and makes them money.
And so on. Quite apart from the demonstrable fact that I have addressed it multiple times, are you so deluded to believe that a protest from you is enough to erase the overwhelming evidence against you?
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pmYou can criticize me, criticize my authorities, and anything else you like.
Do you mean "authorities"? That sounds awfully like Pravda news.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pmBut it does not explain at all why the legacy news media have so blatantly reversed themselves.
Is this an example?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t60dmGjKbPc
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pmThat's not a matter that has anything at all to do with me.
But this has:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:07 amYou pretend to misread, I see.
As does this:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pmThat's a deliberate misinterpretation.
Neither is true, which makes this all the richer:
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pmThey screwed that up all on their own. And it's to themselves that they are exposed as unfaithful.
As seeds says:
seeds wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:18 pmMr. Con is the reigning queen of projection.
You screwed up that all on your own, and you can't find it in your shrivelled 'Christian' soul to admit it, much less apologise. It is to yourself that you are exposed as unfaithful.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:54 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am That was the conclusion after every torture session during the Middle Ages after which you burn the body to save the soul. After all, that's what Christianity is all about...saving souls; burning alive as the ultimate exorcism.
Oh, Dube.... :lol:

If we could harness your brain power, we could...

...make some toast. :D
Dear Immanuel,

I vehemently protest this gratuitous unjustified ad hominem from someone who rarely ceased to deserve his own. Can such a person ever be trusted who casts such aspersions against any of his interlocutors simply because he cannot properly answer them! Such egregious discrepancies in the art of argumentation! If I knew who to pray to I'd generously offer a few prayers at no charge in the hope of turning your Torquemada mentality into a St. Francis one. But alas! no such transformation seems possible. Woe is you! :cry: :mrgreen:

With that out of the way, I wish to say that my brain does indeed occasionally feel somewhat fried but what can you say about a mind that acknowledges history to begin with Adam & Eve eventually working its way up to an apotheosis called Jesus who must be believed in if one's soul isn't to permanently fry in hell...a process which begins with the burning of all heretics and perceived witches as a prelude of things to come.

If it were possible to update your brain with merely a fraction of the abundance of historical and scientific data obtained since then, you'd almost seem contemporary!

Unfortunately as it stands, your mental algorithms begin and end with 1st century programming which doesn't require logic for defence but only bible quotes whose singular authority far exceeds anything which came after.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RWStanding wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 am Christianity
Britain used to refer to itself as a Christian country.
There seems to be little agreement as to what we are today.
In modern terms:
Christianity is not about simple freedom of the individual will.
True. Christianity has always been about compulsion and conformity
Christianity is not about simple obedience to moral codes.
It has always been exactly that. THough these codes were never that simple, but were confused and contradictory.
Christianity is about informed conformity to altruist values.
Except that the church hierarchy are doing all the informing, and the plebs have been doing all the obeying.
Human and other rights and duties are legal constructs based on values.
And it has been these compulsions, and confusions that have made Christianity decline into a minority religion in the UK.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:26 am
In modern terms:
To what? Comprehending that there are reasons to second think your actions?

Is good oui?
Sculptor wrote:
RW wrote:Christianity is not about simple obedience to moral codes.
It has always been exactly that. THough these codes were never that simple, but were confused and contradictory.
How confusing is this, the simplest code:- Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.

Sculptor wrote:
RW wrote:Christianity is about informed conformity to altruist values.
Except that the church hierarchy are doing all the informing, and the plebs have been doing all the obeying.
It would appear that way in any 'heirarchical' system.

RWStanding wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 am Human and other rights and duties are legal constructs based on values.
And it has been these compulsions, and confusions that have made Christianity decline into a minority religion in the UK.
Actually, on a re-read you are probably right. Especially where evangelist fundamental bigotry is reflected via idiotic interpretations of "Christianity"..

Britain truly has benefitted socially through time as a landmass where the moral tenets of Christianity sweeped its shores and overwashed its lands...it has served its purpose, making (most) people second think their actions - (call that ethics if u must).
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:26 am True. Christianity has always been about compulsion and conformity
True, but also untrue. Christianity has also a unique feature of presenting an example of taking an absolute and principled stand against reigning authority and convention. That is one of its essences. The Christian as opponent of conventions and conformity snd one who stands up for a new order of being.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

bick·er (bĭk′ər)
intr.v. bick·ered, bick·er·ing, bick·ers
1. To engage in a bad-tempered quarrel, often in a petty manner over something trivial; squabble. See Synonyms at argue.
a. To flicker or glitter: "bicker like a flame" (Robert Browning).
b. To move or flow with a rippling or gurgling sound.
n.
An angry quarrel; a squabble.
[Middle English bikeren, to attack.]
::: yawn :::
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

In modern terms:
Christianity is not about simple obedience to moral codes.
Christianity is about informed conformity to altruist values.
Human and other rights and duties are legal constructs based on values.

To continue Sculptor's theme I'd say most people are not religious in the UK because education levels are higher, and curriculums are better structured than they were formerly especially among younger people. Improved education helps people to think for themselves and not accept sermons from ministers of religion. Educated parents tend to rear educated offspring.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Belinda wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:10 pm To continue Sculptor's theme I'd say most people are not religious in the UK because education levels are higher, and curriculums are better structured than they were formerly especially among younger people. Improved education helps people to think for themselves and not accept sermons from ministers of religion. Educated parents tend to rear educated offspring.
Well I remember my last day of school prior to emmigrating and joining a school for infidels.

Our class of religion (where all us lads would play up- run amock etc) required everyone to do a 400 word essay on the topic of 'faith'.

Well.

Now that I know God to exist, and the tests and trials of cuntfuckery this 'jew' has put me thru - I could probably write at least 401 words on the topic of FAITH. (actually a shot load more)
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:31 pm...I believe Christ is supposedly the one who broke the entire cycle of humans sacrificing anything other than our own tempers and destructive thoughts and told to replace those thoughts with love for God and love for one another. Although I have to admit it's a difficult thing to do (love everyone).
That's an interesting take on it. You could make the case that it was the Old Testament story of Abraham being tested by God, (Genesis 22) but in that version what it showed is "Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:31 pmI believe Christ was on to something profound. Though, I do feel resentment at times that God apparently created such a world where we have struggle with so many things, such as to love one another. (Assuming there is a God.)
I can't help thinking that if there is a god, it really can't be as described in any holy book I'm aware of, and certainly not the Old Testament. To demand that you are feared and loved doesn't strike me as the basis for a healthy relationship.