Why Most will Reify an Infinite Regress?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Why Most will Reify an Infinite Regress?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

My view of reality is based on the Top-Down FSK approach without any consideration of an infinite regress.
Most [not all] of those who do not agree with my view rely upon the bottom-up FSK approach to reify their fictional illusory infinite regress. They presumed something is pre-existing awaiting discovery or be perceived.
These are the theists who insist God exists as real and "realists" like Peter Holmes, et. al. who argue there are no moral facts and argued there is an independent reality [also entail an infinite regress].

As I had argued the bottom-up approach to stop an infinite regress is unrealistic and merely based on a hasty desperate psychological impulse driven by an existential crisis.

What is most realistic is the top-down-approach-FSK which relies on empirical verification and justifications supported by rational philosophical reasonings [to prevent Scientism].
In this case, we should then depend as far and down based on available evidences and rational justification.

We may speculate beyond the empirical justification but it must remained empirically-based and supported by philosophical reasonings.
For example I can speculate there are human-like people existing in a planet 100 light years from Earth.
Such a speculation is empirically possible because all the critical variables referred are empirical. So it is just a matter of producing the direct empirical evidences for verification and justification.

In the case of a hasty jump to reify something to stop the infinite regress, e.g. a first cause, the speculation is this case is not empirically based.

I ask, why is that most cannot ignore the temptation of an infinite regress?

Why they hastily jumped to close an infinite regress and why are stuck in the 'kindergarten' level in terms of reality is due to a cognitive dissonance arising desperate inherent psychology impulses that hold you back from progress.
It is VERY 'painful' to leave an infinite regress unattended as being "programmed" via evolution tru' 3.5 billion of years since the first single-celled living things.

This is why when people [especially theists incl. realists] who have discovered quickie theism as a consonance to soothe the very painful cognitive dissonance of infinite regress, they will even kill those who threaten the security of the consonances they are clinging onto.
It is the same with philosophical realists who will get snarky and very violent, aggressive and abusive [verbally] when their ideology [consonance] is threatened.

Suggest those involved reflect more deeply and strive to grow out of their "kindergarten classes" to the higher levels of knowledge.

Views?