Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Christianity

Post by promethean75 »

Lol what if you found out J wuz just an ordinary political activist guy who defended the victims of the incredible wealth disparity that existed in Rome, and not a miracle working son of a 'god'?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:03 pm Lol what if you found out J wuz just an ordinary political activist guy who defended the victims of the incredible wealth disparity that existed in Rome, and not a miracle working son of a 'god'?
Well, I hate to state the obvious, but Jesus Christ did not live in Rome, nor did He ever visit there. So in order even to have a reasonable imagination of such a scenario, one would have to, at least, get a few historical details right...even if only where He actually lived. :wink:
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:58 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:16 am The German philosophers Max Scheler, Karl Jaspers, and Martin Heidegger laboured in his debt, for example, as did the French philosophers Albert Camus, Jacques Derrida, and Michel Foucault...
These were, indeed, men who truly followed Nietzsche. And if you know their biographies, and what they actually did, you know they support the claim.
The claim for what? What is this jumble! You also purposely forgot to mention the theologists who were also heavily influenced by Nietzsche. We all know about Heidegger who actually was a Nazi though his influence had almost no effect on the movement; but what did the rest actually do that was evil?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:30 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:17 pm
Dubious wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 pm Nowhere describes your ability to answer a perfectly logical question.
Still having grammar problems?
Not anywhere near your cognitive ones! But, in spite of that, please point me to the error!
Btw, I'm still looking for you pointing me to my "grammar problems", since you mentioned it!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:17 pm
Still having grammar problems?
Not anywhere near your cognitive ones! But, in spite of that, please point me to the error!
Btw, I'm still looking for you pointing me to my "grammar problems", since you mentioned it!
You don't know?
Dubious wrote: ↑Tue May 17, 2022 6:41 pm
Nowhere describes your ability to answer a perfectly logical question.
uwot

In the mind of Mr Can...

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
promethean75 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:03 pm Lol what if you found out J wuz just an ordinary political activist guy who defended the victims of the incredible wealth disparity that existed in Rome, and not a miracle working son of a 'god'?
Well, I hate to state the obvious, but Jesus Christ did not live in Rome, nor did He ever visit there...
...therefore he was a miracle working son of a 'god'. It's the law of the excluded middle, dontcha know?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:44 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm

You don't know?
Dubious wrote: ↑Tue May 17, 2022 6:41 pm
Nowhere describes your ability to answer a perfectly logical question.
"Nowhere", as in a void, is a single word metaphor used to describe your ability to answer a perfectly logical question. Most would have gotten it; obviously you didn't. But I'm still interested in knowing why it's grammatically incorrect. It could be but for that there has to be a reason.

Nowhere, in the context used, describes a non-existent ability.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

My bad. I meant to say the Han dynasty, not the Roman EMPIRE.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 pm Nowhere, in the context used, describes a non-existent ability.
A "where" means a place. An "ability" is not a place.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

rsz_2screenshot_2022-05-18-23-14-08-326.jpg
rsz_2screenshot_2022-05-18-23-14-08-326.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:40 pm
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?
To understand this a person needs to appreciate the purpose of Christianity and its potential for our being. Such understanding is very rare.
Err, no...the majority of people are normal intelligent human beings just busy living reality for what it actually is, without the mental and emotionally programmed denial filter. They are not trying to escape it's mighty jaw by wishfully thinking it is some kind of alternative reality like Disney Land.

The truth is not for the faint of heart. Humans in fact, have become more and more helpless due to their unique capacity to use conceptual language which has slowed down their capability to defend or to fend for themselves. The human species is both the predator and the prey. A human baby is totally helpless in nature, being soley dependant for the first 10 years of it's life on some other being to ensure and seal it's own survival. Reality for all living organisms, including humans, is based on a predator and prey existence. That's the hard cold raw truth of nature, than humans cannot handle because they have conditioned themselves to a hopeless dependency for false commodities such as .. IT technology, electrical gadgets, machines, medicine, and money, etc etc... if all these things were to disappear overnight, they would be running around like headless chickens...modern living has weakened the human species, it has not evloved it in anyway shape or form. Humanity is basically just a timebomb waiting to explode.

Humans are not the apex of the living sentient world, they are actually the opposite, they are extremely vulnerable and more dangerous than any other species that ever lived... for obvious reasons, that most intelligent people will figure out in an instance..

Like everything else that lives and breathes on this planet, humans too are subject to the same fate, that is to run the gauntlet of predator and prey - it's the same trap that is for all life on earth.

Christianity is a story told by story telling apes. It's about as real as the tale of Bugs Bunny.

It's like who can tell the tallest tale - and who would believe it - that's easy - we're all innocent children here, we're all born without a story, we were all once the same blank slate....where our culture conditioned our unique individual story.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
Well, I hate to state the obvious, but Jesus Christ did not live in Rome, nor did He ever visit there. So in order even to have a reasonable imagination of such a scenario, one would have to, at least, get a few historical details right...even if only where He actually lived. :wink:
He never lived anywhere but herenow/nowhere in the conceptual mentally imagined story-no one told or wrote..only read.

When Christians refer to the second coming, they mean the expected return to earth of Jesus Christ.

I hate to state the obvious, but Jesus the man died IC... and dead things do not live. Savvy!

Only fictional conceptual stories live and die...IC...learn to speak the difference or forever hold your peace.

Why don't you get a few historical details right....instead of projecting what are only your own wrongs onto others so that you can be right.

Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:05 am
Dubious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 pm Nowhere, in the context used, describes a non-existent ability.
A "where" means a place. An "ability" is not a place.
Nice try, but I didn't say "where", I said "nowhere" which is actually a word in the dictionary (if you want to check it out) but isn't defined exactly the same way.

It can also mean...

having no prospect of progress or success.

It doesn't have to specifically refer to a place or location to be appropriately applied...which, in this case it definitely is!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"instead of projecting what are only your own wrongs onto others so that you can be right."

"Cast not your wrongs onto others so that you may be right." - Barth Aloe Mule, the book of Brocephus, 1:13
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

promethean75 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:11 pm "instead of projecting what are only your own wrongs onto others so that you can be right."

"Cast not your wrongs onto others so that you may be right." - Barth Aloe Mule, the book of Brocephus, 1:13
Well I'll be dammed..I didn't know that quote existed...thanks for that.

I just said what I said here, quite spontaneously because it was just so obviously common knowledge, well to me it was anyway..