Why is slavery wrong?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am🤔
What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13396
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by henry quirk »

What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

yep

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?

not if you understand slavery and taxation are the same, you can't
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 7981
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:19 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am🤔
What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?
As I had stated your views are narrow, shallow and rhetorical.

ALL humans are evolved with the potential impulse to find similarities and patterns in different things to facilitate survival.
But is it cognitive blindness to be stuck with this similarities impulse most of the time, especially when differentiation in its relevant context is necessary and critical.
Dontaskme
Posts: 12744
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 am What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

yep

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?

not if you understand slavery and taxation are the same, you can't
People are born free beings. People are totally free to be slaves.

There is nothing wrong with you.

If there was something wrong with you, then it would be wrong to impose wrongness on the unborn.
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 7981
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 am What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

yep

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?

not if you understand slavery and taxation are the same, you can't
People are born free beings. People are totally free to be slaves.

There is nothing wrong with you.

If there was something wrong with you, then it would be wrong to impose wrongness on the unborn.
Freedom must be overridden by morality.
Slavery [chattel] is morally wrong.
Therefore morally, one cannot have the freedom to be a slave or to enslave, which is the same as no moral freedom to kill humans or be killed.
Dontaskme
Posts: 12744
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:44 am
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 am What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

yep

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?

not if you understand slavery and taxation are the same, you can't
People are born free beings. People are totally free to be slaves.

There is nothing wrong with you.

If there was something wrong with you, then it would be wrong to impose wrongness on the unborn.
Freedom must be overridden by morality.
Slavery [chattel] is morally wrong.
Therefore morally, one cannot have the freedom to be a slave or to enslave, which is the same as no moral freedom to kill humans or be killed.
Freedom and Slavery is a ''Belief'' in this conception.

In reality, no one is free, no one is enslaved.

That which appears as free, was never free.

That which appears as enslaved, was never enslaved.

SIGNATURE
It’s no coincidence that man’s best friend cannot talk.


Conception is a con..only a con can con a con.
popeye1945
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 am

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by popeye1945 »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 am The most rational bases of morality is our common biology, that which supports life is moral that which negates life in whatever degree is wrong.
What is "rational" about that?

I'm not asking because I disagree with "that which supports life is moral . . ." I'm asking because I don't see what's "rational" about it.
First it would be a good idea to question one's self as to what is the rationale of morality. Give a reasonable answer to that question, and perhaps we might continue our dialogue.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 am
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:19 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am🤔
What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?
As I had stated your views are narrow, shallow and rhetorical.

ALL humans are evolved with the potential impulse to find similarities and patterns in different things to facilitate survival.
But is it cognitive blindness to be stuck with this similarities impulse most of the time, especially when differentiation in its relevant context is necessary and critical.
Blather!
Dontaskme
Posts: 12744
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Dontaskme »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:55 pm Blather!

Image
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 4548
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Terrapin Station »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 am The most rational bases of morality is our common biology, that which supports life is moral that which negates life in whatever degree is wrong.
What is "rational" about that?

I'm not asking because I disagree with "that which supports life is moral . . ." I'm asking because I don't see what's "rational" about it.
First it would be a good idea to question one's self as to what is the rationale of morality. Give a reasonable answer to that question, and perhaps we might continue our dialogue.
On my view morality consists of dispositions towards interpersonal behavior, dispositions of approval/disapproval, etc., that one considers more significant than etiquette. There is no universal "rationale." It's just a way that our brains happen to work.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13396
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by henry quirk »

People are totally free to be slaves

I don't know if that's so

yes, a man can turn himself over to another, allow himself to be used or abused, but, as I say, in his gut and bones he knows he is his own, and I don't think he can choose to forget this deep intuition or ever fully accept that he is property

seems to me, mebbe, a man isn't free to be a slave

he can pretend he is, mebbe resign himself to a circumstance, but it seems to me this violation of his life, his self, will gnaw at him

I think he'd have to have a large, powerful, motivation to allow his own enslavement

mebbe, he allows it to preserve his life today so that he might escape tomorrow

mebbe, he allows it so that a loved one can escape the leash

patience, self-sacrifice (love)
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 15202
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm People are totally free to be slaves

I don't know if that's so
That's like saying, "People are totally dry if they're wet."

If he's free, then by definition, he's not a slave.

If he's a slave, then by definition, he's not free.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 15202
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:44 am Slavery [chattel] is morally wrong.
What's your evidence of that?
Dontaskme
Posts: 12744
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm People are totally free to be slaves

I don't know if that's so
That's like saying, "People are totally dry if they're wet."

If he's free, then by definition, he's not a slave.

If he's a slave, then by definition, he's not free.
If you have to pay for something it’s not free.

Life comes at a price.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 15202
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm People are totally free to be slaves

I don't know if that's so
That's like saying, "People are totally dry if they're wet."

If he's free, then by definition, he's not a slave.

If he's a slave, then by definition, he's not free.
If you have to pay for something it’s not free.

Life comes at a price.
Tu dis n'importe quoi.
Post Reply